JDS calls for immediate rematch with Cain Velasquez, guarantee's victory

You don't get a immediate rematch after getting your ass whooped the way he did...I can see if it was really close but it was complete and utter domination..

There was something very odd with his second fight w cain. Dont let anyone fool you, it wasnt predicted by the hardest margin but he did very badly. The fucker wasnt even looking toward cain after getting rocked. That said, he wasnt himself and id bet easily he wins the next but immediate title shot? Too late. Overeem and Cormier are here

Nahhh, The Zuffa brass is too smart to blow there wad on a trilogy just yet.... they will feed JDS some cannage, give some of the other relevant HW's a shot and have these to fight when both are on a decent W streak. It's called good marketing...

He needs a rematch. Cain got one after getting dispatched in 64 seconds.

Mark my words, Junior will get his belt back.

I still think Cain is the better fighter, but JDS has a chance on any given day. That chance was better in the first fight though when Cain came in all jiggly. Give them both 1 or 2 more fights fist though, then the rematch would be more epic.

Or he could do what he did in the first fight.

Fights can go any which way.

In any case, JDS should have to win a fight or two before getting back in there for the title.
I would love to see JDS fight Todd Duffee next.

That is really a gimme fight to get his confidence back if they go that route. He would need a better win after that I think to get a rematch.

JDS, I like you a lot man... but you got absolutely mauled. You got owned. You got demolished like you've never experienced before.

You're "on deck" for the title shot. Win a fight first... face 'Reem. Don't be scared homie.

could be in his contract to get an immediate rematch?

JDS vs. Overeem. Winner gets title shot.

In the meantime...

Cormier fights Cain to determine the undisputed champion

I already hate instant rematches. An instant rematch really would hurt either Cain's or JDS's career a lot depending on who lost. Also, the winner wouldn't have much to show for their title record other than fights against each other.

Prolonging trilogies is better imo. Let Cain fight the winner of Overeem/Big Foot and give JDS another opponent like Cormier. The division is too rich to leave title fights to two fighters. This isn't the division of AA and Sylvia anymore.

I know Cain outstruck Junior in the rematch, but Junior was tagging him in the center of the octagon. He landed several nice jabs. Cain started to take over when he backed Junior to the fence with his TD attempts. I think it's important for Junior to focus on lateral movement instead of pulling straight back.

That would be a very hard change for Junior to make, it's his entire style. Jack Slack talks about it very well, he says that Junior "Isn't as much of a boxer as he is a fencer", Junior moves forward and backward in a line almost all the time, which is often considered to be a flaw by striking coaches, but Junior does it the right way. It means, however; that when he is pressured, he will eventually get stuck up against the fence like he did against Cain. It's a very fundamental part of his game, and it might do more to hurt his game than to help it if he were to change it at this stage in his career.
Also, for the people saying that Junior should have tried harder to keep Cain on the outside, Junior's downfall was his unwillingness to fight in the pocket during this fight. Dos Santos gassed himself out trying to keep distance against a man who simply would not allow him to. Had Junior been more willing to work in the pocket, he might have stayed fresh at least a little longer. I still think Cain would have won, but JDS may not have looked as bad as he did if he had not been so insistent on getting away from Cain.

In the coming years I would love to watch them fight three more times but an immediate rematch is just too early IMO.

That would be a very hard change for Junior to make, it's his entire style. Jack Slack talks about it very well, he says that Junior "Isn't as much of a boxer as he is a fencer", Junior moves forward and backward in a line almost all the time, which is often considered to be a flaw by striking coaches, but Junior does it the right way. It means, however; that when he is pressured, he will eventually get stuck up against the fence like he did against Cain. It's a very fundamental part of his game, and it might do more to hurt his game than to help it if he were to change it at this stage in his career.
Also, for the people saying that Junior should have tried harder to keep Cain on the outside, Junior's downfall was his unwillingness to fight in the pocket during this fight. Dos Santos gassed himself out trying to keep distance against a man who simply would not allow him to. Had Junior been more willing to work in the pocket, he might have stayed fresh at least a little longer. I still think Cain would have won, but JDS may not have looked as bad as he did if he had not been so insistent on getting away from Cain.

I see what you're saying, but I think Junior should have thrown something while Cain was recklessly coming forward. He should have established his jab better while Cain was coming in for takedowns, even if it didn't land it would show Cain that he has to watch out for it, and might have deterred Cain from charging like a bull. Junior just kind of let Cain close the distance on him without throwing any punches, Cain kept coming forward looking for a TD with his chin stuck in the air, Junior missed many opportunities to clock him.

The only time Junior really threw anything was when Cain was in the center of the octagon with him, staying on the outside. Junior didn't do anything but back up while Cain was coming in, he should have been more offensive.

Back