Media Ilia Topuria Plans to Dictate Terms of Volkanovski Rematch: 'I Choose Everything'

I really hope Topuria is the one to bring UFC to Spain. A Volk rematch would do nicely in Europe.

Hill lost me when he started acting delusional. My stupid ass actually picked him to beat Poaton. That was the worst mistake I've ever made on here I think, never again. Smdh
You didn't make the wrong call to Hill. He won that fight in his mind.

He has the mind of this man. We need to be nice.

Volk getting a rematch is a pity rematch. He's been an awesome champ but its clear that Volk has taken recent punishment that he's not the same guy anymore. As a mma fan I hope this shit is next month and over with so they find a real contender at FW. He's 1-4 since 2022 to really good fighters, but he should take a warm up before coming back.

Good, Volk doesn’t deserve the rematch in the first place.
We are all sick of these constant remataches they have nearly 500 fighters on their roster but we have to spend years to see the same guys fight the same guys over and over and over. Let volk fight lopez or someone else then give him the shot he was just devestatedly knocked out twice in a row. Love Volk but id like to him not being in a fucking rematch right away.

The next challenger jumping in the cage angle at the end of the ppv is getting played out

images

Ilia Topuria wants a rematch with Alexander Volkanovski next, but the reigning featherweight champion plans on dictating the terms of their engagment.

Topuria dethroned Volkanovski via knockout at UFC 298 this past February. The undefeated champ then put his strap on the line for the first time against Max Holloway at UFC 308 on Saturday at the Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi. Backing his words up with action, Topuria scored a third-round knockout win over Holloway, who had never been stopped by strikes before in his entire career.

Volkanovski, who was in attendance for the event, subsequently entered the Octagon to call for a rematch against Topuria. While Diego Lopes’ name was also pitched to Topuria as a potential opponent, “El Matador” expressed interest in running it back with Volkanovski.

An ideal card for that potential matchup would the UFC’s debut in Spain, which could take place sometime in 2025. While Volkanovski admits that the Georgian-Spaniard champ has earned the right to fight in his backyard, he doesn’t want to wait too long for the rematch.

“I love Sydney and I want to fight in Sydney, but Madrid sounds good, too,” Volkanovski told reporters after UFC 308. “As long as I’m not waiting too long, that’s the big problem for me. I’d love for [Topuria] to have his moment in Spain, and we’ll fight there and that. Hopefully we’re not waiting years. That’s the only problem. If they can get that done as soon as possible, you know what I mean, he deserves it.”

Meanwhile, Topuria reiterated that he considers “The Great” the next rightful title contender. However, the champ wants to call every shot regarding that bout.

“Right now, he’s gonna have to wait til my time,” Topuria told reporters. “Right now I’m the one who chooses the time, the place — I choose everything. Right now I’m the champion, he’s the challenger… I respect him, too. He deserves the shot. No one else deserves the shot more in the featherweight division than Volk.”

He's earned that right, and it is the right thing to do, per Sun Tzu - The Art of War.

giphy.gif

If the UFC is going to do an event in Spain, it's fucking stupid to put Volk in there (in my opinion).

UFC's first time in Spain? Those fans will not want to watch a grappling or wrestling clinic. Give them the hometown champ and Lopes, and you're getting a banger of a main event. Pretty sure it will be a quick fight in Topuria's favor, but it'll be fun while it lasts.

Volk can still have his quick turnaround fight in Sydney (Whittaker won't be available), and a win justifies one more go at Ilia coming off a win (instead of a loss) in his swan song. I think Volk only has one loss in him left. I really wouldn't want to see him go out on three straight. Give the fella a win first, please.

People were calling for Volk rematch before Max beat Justin. They wanted Volk to get time off. Volk took time off and they promised him the winner of this fight, it he should not dictate time line Sherdog has weird thing with challengers wanting to dictate time lines.

Back