Ignorance of Science in the United States

I'm convinced that you are anti-American.

The study was carried out in America and my concern is skewed towards America since I live here. Perhaps science ignorance is gaining ground in other countries as well.

And for the record, I'm certainly not saying that people have no legitimate concern over GMOs. But I can guarantee that many of them who say they're "dangerous" or "bad" literally know nothing about them.

Part of the problem is the general presentation of science in the media, especially when it comes to political topics. The media gives equal weight to scientific evidence and "well i believe" type arguments that the public seems to not understand the difference between fact and opinion.

You sound like a SJW who read a few wiki articles and got triggered by how traditional majority of people are.

That's because they are actually smart and risk averse in a sense, and you are stupid.

What their concern is? They are concerned about genetically modified plants and critters they eat. You see, eating traditional food has proven to be safe for freaking centuries. Genetically modified food? Not so much.

I agree, there were some researches that have shown genetically modified foods to be safe TO SOME EXTENT. In order to be sure though there should be longitude researches, but noone can afford them.

So there will always until we die be a certain degree of doubt on genetically modified food. And it would be really hard or nearly impossible to prove that it is as safe as natural.

So this "residual risk" still exists and you are being dumb for ignoring it and calling people science denialists for being risk averse.

See my post history. Not a SJW in any sense. Again, I'm not dismayed that people show caution or may have concerns about GMOs, but when 80% of people say that all food with DNA should be labeled (see OP for why this is absurd) I can only wonder about whether their opinion is informed or not.

See my post history. Not a SJW in any sense. Again, I'm not dismayed that people show caution or may have concerns about GMOs, but when 80% of people say that all food with DNA should be labeled (see OP for why this is absurd) I can only wonder about whether their opinion is informed or not.

Do you remember when people signed a petition to ban H2O...

All of science - genetics, fossil record, etc. supports the contention that ALL humans are out of Africa. Deep, dark, scary black Africa. Skin needed to have lots of melanin & be black to protect from the sun.

Nothing contradicts it.

But some white republicans want to think they are a separate superior species. They need to feel superior.

So they need to reject science and accept baseless assertions that make them feel better.

All of science - genetics, fossil record, etc. supports the contention that ALL humans are out of Africa. Deep, dark, scary black Africa. Skin needed to have lots of melanin & be black to protect from the sun.

Nothing contradicts it.

But some white republicans want to think they are a separate superior species. They need to feel superior.

So they need to reject science and accept baseless assertions that make them feel better.

Historically democrats were racist.

As an actual scientist I agree, there's a shocking lack of skill and knowledge in the general public about simple science. Math too.

The two biggest problems are religion, which often views science as an enemy (because religion is fake and science isn't), and Republican policy, which is often either based on the aforementioned religious beliefs, or anti-environmental business.

So you take church, talk radio, and Internet echo chambers and you wind up with a populace who think Alex Jones and Donald Trump are as credible as the entire scientific community.

In short, it makes people stupid (or rather, leads stupid, gullible people in the wrong direction).

So by today's alt right standards not wanting to eat a cow or drink it's milk that has been pumped full of hormones to accelerate growth and kept alive by a daily stream of antibiotics makes one a SJW

Interesting

People have learned that fucking with nature, more often than not, ends up bad.

To be honest I agree with you. Eugenics is the way to go. Let the weak die and the strong survive.

So by today's alt right standards not wanting to eat a cow or drink it's milk that has been pumped full of hormones to accelerate growth and kept alive by a daily stream of antibiotics makes one a SJW

Interesting

Wait I'm far right and I don't eat or drink that shit, what does that make me? An alt-right SJW?

shiet

For the record @Kframe over in another thread thinks the Empire in Star Wars and palpatine and vader were the good guys all along and really wanted peace. lol

So his opinion is basically Bollocks. When you can't figure out Star Wars why even bother having a conversation with the person

People have been mislead by government organizations, like FDA, for so long that they don't know what to think.

GE crops are destroying the world. It's fine and dandy to want to live everyone and save all the people of the world- but the fact remains that we are greatly over populated.

Brazil is a great example of the fuckery which is happening with GE crops.
Years ago they cut down massive amounts of forest in order to plant soybeans in the fertile Amazon basin.
It didn't work. The soil was no longer fertile once the forest canopy had been removed as the soil had dried up and seeds would not grow. Genetically engineered seeds were created and planted and are thriving. This lead to even more, illegal destruction of the Amazon. From about 2007 to 2008 alone, an area right the size of France was cut- just to plant soybeans- the supposed solution to world hunger.

The idea behind genetically modified seeds is very romantic if one imagined that the goal is to solve world hunger. I'm more sceptical however, I think the real goal is to make certain companies rich, companies like Cargill for instance. Their influence of organizations like FDA has been much more detrimental to the world than it has been beneficial.

We need to stop twisting and fucking with everything and everyone. We need to stop going into places like Africa and digging wells to provide fresh water in order to increase population even more. We need to stop providing aid to places like Haiti after earthquakes. And, most importantly, we need to stop exporting as much food as we currently do. It may sound cruel but it's for the greater good, it's for the good of all mankind- and, sadly, that involves sacrificing a few individuals. The only way we can keep up to works hunger is by using modified crops, they yield more, but they also destroy the environment. Decisions need to be made.

TLDR:
Modified crops are bad and need to be eliminated at the expense of some going hungry.

Last edited:
The Deification of Science in the United States is a much bigger problem than so called ignorance. Those who look at general scientific consensus as gospel are the most ignorant among us.

The Deification of Science in the United States is a much bigger problem than so called ignorance. Those who look at general scientific consensus as gospel are the most ignorant among us.

Agreed, Scientific Consensus is the not gospel and it is not the truth. It is however the best explanation of the current data among the overwhelming majority of the experts in the field.

Holy shit, this is god tier irony considering that you regularly peddle ignorance to try and combat scientific consensus. I literally laughed out loud.

Back