Social Chemical linked to reduced fertility, reproductive harm and fetal disruption in animals found in 80% of people in American study

Organic and GMO are not nearly the same thing, which you seem to imply, and no, I doubt it has a particular association with GMO crops; it's the most common pesticide in use in the USA IIRC (or, perhaps was until recently).

I don't see any particular problem with GMO crops provided they are established as unharmful to the environment. Do you?

They're called Roundup ready crops. Meaning they're resilient to the chemicals in Roundup if you douse the crop with the stuff.

I personally don't need guy in a lab coat to tell me that Roundup is not only bad for the environment, but bad for our bodies as well. Do you?

They're called Roundup ready crops. Meaning they're resilient to the chemicals in Roundup if you douse the crop with the stuff.

I personally don't need guy in a lab coat to tell me that Roundup is not only bad for the environment, but bad for our bodies as well. Do you?
I'm no fan of that crap, no. I was not aware of that designation, but it doesn't mean it wasn't being used elsewhere and that's all I'm commenting about.

Study shows that use of the chemical has increased since Trump's EPA deregulated it and with additional deregulations by Biden's EPA.

It was detected in 92% of oat-based foods, including Cheerios and other popular Quaker products.
The EPA actually bans it's use in food products in America and only allow it for ornamental plants. But it has no such restriction on oats imports.

If you were wise enough to eat organic foods you may be safer, as it seems to be much less prevalent.

Be careful out there bros. Of course this isn't definitive proof that the chemical is harmful for everyone or the amount in food is overly harmful. But good to keep in mind when making food decisions.
Nothing published in a peer reviewed journal? Research has many levels imo....

Organic and GMO are not nearly the same thing, which you seem to imply, and no, I doubt it has a particular association with GMO crops; it's the most common pesticide in use in the USA IIRC (or, perhaps was until recently).

I don't see any particular problem with GMO crops provided they are established as unharmful to the environment. Do you?
Pretty sure it’s an herbicide that’s used on gmo crops.
The problem is that farmers spray their wheat with it a few days before harvest to kill it and let it dry out so it doesn’t gum up the threshers

Conventionally-grown oats are known to contain a high amount of glyphosate, so you should be buying organic oats either way. The price difference is negligible. It's also a good idea to avoid products sold with no known country of origin. In Canada it's listed as something like "made in Canada from domestic and imported products" meaning the main ingredient could be from China or some other country where soils are heavily contaminated and safety standards aren't followed.

Shouldn't be eating oats at all.

If you are relying on the EPA or FDA to approve/disapprove of chemicals in food then you are already decades behind. Roundup has been in the market since 1976 and still is in use today.

What we need are more organizations like this one (a private, non-profit organization that gets funding from individuals and charitable donations) that provide funding for independent studies and reports for stuff like this. The more decentralized the better, as then we eliminate the potential for corruption, corporate capture and general slowness and inefficiencies found in government. Another great resource is Consumer Reports for finding out stuff like this.

Eh no. The EPA and FDA are inept nowadays BECAUSE of corporatism. This is a multi-layered problem, which begins with the ever-present funding cuts to administrative agencies, and then paired with tax cuts for corporations that allow them to grow beyond control. You cut the congressional budget for these agencies and you make the problem worse, because beyond that their funding comes from "user fees" which are paid BY corporations. Some people around here like to call people "soy boys"...know how soy got into EVERYTHING? Ralston-Purina paid for its inclusion on the list of Gold Standard proteins so they could put it in dog food. From there it was only a small jump to human food. And soy is a garbage ingredient.

My wife works with FDA inspectors sometimes and they're comically overworked and underpaid. Both those agencies are essentially toothless tigers, although this administration has beefed them up a little but. But farm this work out to the private sector and the bought inspection results will quintuple overnight. I'm all for the existence of private investigative watchdog groups, as long as there is sufficient Governmental regulatory power operating simultaneously. Corporate mega-mergers should be disallowed (Kroger is about to control the majority of our food supply), and the inspecting agencies should absolutely be able to shut down public safety/health violators.

It’s not a pesticide.

It’s not a pesticide.
Organic farmers cannot use glyphosate at any point in food production, and their crops are highly regulated and monitored carefully during the certification process. If contamination from any chemical, including glyphosate, is present, organic farmers cannot sell that crop as certified organic.

Organic farmers cannot use glyphosate at any point in food production, and their crops are highly regulated and monitored carefully during the certification process. If contamination from any chemical, including glyphosate, is present, organic farmers cannot sell that crop as certified organic.
Uh, ok….
that makes an herbicide a pesticide, I guess.

Uh, ok….
that makes an herbicide a pesticide, I guess.
Weed killer, bug killer. Is there a significant difference in the context of the question, how is it ending up in the food supply?

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the factual correction. But what's that go to do with the issue?

Weed killer, bug killer. Is there a significant difference in the context of the question, how is it ending up in the food supply?

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the factual correction. But what's that go to do with the issue?
As Dan Akroyd once said, “ just the facts, mam“

Says to keep away from food multiple times on their MSDS sheet.

Also says if you get it on your garments and they cannot be cleaned, they must be destroyed (burnt).

Yeah this is the stuff they're straight up soaking our crops in and then telling us there's nothing harmful about GMO crops.

Remember this the next time you trust what the government and scientists are telling you.

Back