How much did size play a factor dustin vs max

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Was dustin that much bigger? Im debating with a friend in text messages right now bout why max lost.

I said poirer just fought a better fight and hurt max early n plenty.

He’s saying dustin is somehow huge and only won because he had more punching power, and that dustin never had any power at FW.

What do u guys think the size advantage was during the fight. Max is 5’11 n a pretty big FW, dustin is a good sized LW and has fought at 145 before.

Nah, I think Dustin won because he had the better hands, he was slipping max’s jab early and landing hard left hands and had overall better mma boxing out there. I agree with you that Dustin was just the better fighter tonight

Dustin was bigger but that doesn't take anything away from his gameplan and display of skill. He fought smart.
How much bigger? I don't know, but he definitely outweighed him. But again this is Max fucking Holloway we are talking about. I'm a lot bigger than Max and he'd kick my ass from here to Honolulu.

Dustin said himself he struggles to make the lightweight limit these days.

Dude is a MASSIVE 155er.

He also has really good hands these days, as well as proper footwork and has sorted out his mind and become tough as fuck.

It played a big factor in that Holloway didn't have a size advantage like he usually does.

Nah, I think Dustin won because he had the better hands, he was slipping max’s jab early and landing hard left hands and had overall better mma boxing out there. I agree with you that Dustin was just the better fighter tonight
Yesh, i just think when a guy slightly bigger wins, its a cheap move to just say thats all they had and the only reason they won. Really, most these guys are roughly the same size anyway, sure some may come in bigger, but skills and execution far outweigh the slight size advantage.

I just hate when people use the “size” advantage argument, but wont acknowledge max was taller, height is also an advantage, but its not everything.

Dustin's size helped increase the power of his shots.

What mattered more was his reads, timing, and angles to land the shots.

Dude is a MASSIVE 155er.
Yes but was he that much bigger? Struggling to make weight could also mean someone has bad eating habits or they hold weight more than others.

Is gastelum a massive 170lber because he struggled to make weight? No maybe he’s just undisciplined eating burritos in the promo vids lol

It played a big factor in that Holloway didn't have a size advantage like he usually does.

As much as I like Max I do tend to agree, his run at 145lbs has been heavily dependant on size and ability to take opponents offence.

Dustin was countering at will when they were both fresh. Only when he started to tire did max start pouring it on, but even then, Dustin still came back with heavy shots .

It had nothing to do with size, Dustin was just better tonight.

Yesh, i just think when a guy slightly bigger wins, its a cheap move to just say thats all they had and the only reason they won. Really, most these guys are roughly the same size anyway, sure some may come in bigger, but skills and execution far outweigh the slight size advantage.

I just hate when people use the “size” advantage argument, but wont acknowledge max was taller, height is also an advantage, but its not everything.
Size comes at a price. I mean hell, by your friends logic Yoel Romero should be middle weight champ. Strength has a price, and Dustin has found a good combination of cardio skill and strength that works very well for him. Max looked like he had great cardio and chin, and skill but he was throwing almost nothing with substance and was trading shots mostly 1:1 so it was a losing equation

Better boxing and power slowed Max considerably which in turn help Dustin when Max tried to turn it on late.

I don't think Max can throw as hard as Dustin, even if they were the same weight, due to a mix of body composition and technique. That doesn't matter as much as being able to land a punch though, which Dustin was doing well at regardless of power.

Yes but was he that much bigger? Struggling to make weight could also mean someone has bad eating habits or they hold weight more than others.

Is gastelum a massive 170lber because he struggled to make weight? No maybe he’s just undisciplined eating burritos in the promo vids lol

Dustin has never missed weight in 31 fights and even made FW eleven times even though he's clearly a natural LW.

I'll let you do the math.

Max wins most of his fights by being bigger, so since he is not in this fight, it might be a factor.

I'm willing to bet very little poundage between the 2. Max has great chin but this is not the way you want to show it
. You want to show people you have a chin when you need to otherwise in the NEAR future(especially 155) hes going to follow the path of cautionary tale member, Luke Rockhold...... especially mma fans, his 13 fight win streak will be forgotten quickly.

Dude is a MASSIVE 155er.

He also has really good hands these days, as well as proper footwork and has sorted out his mind and become tough as fuck.
he defo looks big man. he somehow appears taller than his listed height too.

Back