How I think Lawler vs Condit goes

This is a myth.

I recently re-watched the fight and Lawler clearly beat Rory in Rounds 1 and 2. Dumbass Judges and post fight commentary by Jon Anik don't change this.

Re-watch the fight. Rory doesn't do shit to Lawler in Rounds 1 and 2.

I've watched it twice, and I agree the judges had it wrong. I think it was 2-2 heading into the 5th.

This is a myth.

I recently re-watched the fight and Lawler clearly beat Rory in Rounds 1 and 2. Dumbass Judges and post fight commentary by Jon Anik don't change this.

Re-watch the fight. Rory doesn't do shit to Lawler in Rounds 1 and 2.

Actually that does change that. Judges decide the winner. Also most fans and sites had Rory up on the cards. Robbie won and was the better fighter, but saying Robbie is "like a Grand Kung Fu Master from a movie that can't be defeated" is pretty stupid since he has looked very beatable and probably should have lost 2 fights ago

Actually that does change that. Judges decide the winner. Also most fans and sites had Rory up on the cards. Robbie won and was the better fighter, but saying Robbie is "like a Grand Kung Fu Master from a movie that can't be defeated" is pretty stupid since he has looked very beatable and probably should have lost 2 fights ago

Really? That's stupid? He has been on a tear the last year, I think that written line isn't stupid at all, but I do think YUO are stupid.

And no, Hendricks did not beat Lawler by sticking his head in between Lawlers legs the final 2 rounds of their 2nd fight.

Please.

Really? That's stupid? He has been on a tear the last year, I think that written line isn't stupid at all, but I do think YUO are stupid.

And no, Hendricks did not beat Lawler by sticking his head in between Lawlers legs the final 2 rounds of their fight.

Please.

Two back and forth fights, one controversial and one he was down on the cards before a late finish, makes a guy "like a Grand Kung Fu Master from a movie that can't be defeated"?

Nothing about Robbie has made him look unbeatable. He has won split decisions, been rocked multiple times, almost finished, had to come from behind etc... He is likely the most beatable champ in the UFC. He is more of a Rocky then a "Grand Kung Fu Master from a movie that can't be defeated"

Nothing about Robbie has made him look unbeatable. He has won split decisions, been rocked multiple times, almost finished, had to come from behind etc... He is likely the most beatable champ in the UFC. He is more of a Rocky then a "Grand Kung Fu Master from a movie that can't be defeated"

ssshhhhhh lol, the hype, myth, and revisionist history on lawler is getting a little thick around here. he didn't look unbeatable against matt brown, a fighter that hendricks embarassed to the fullest extent. had split win against rory the first time and was down on the cards in the second clash. and then there's johny to whom he had a loss and probably should've lost his second fight with. he definetely comes to fight and is fun to watch but unbeatable yeah not so much.i'll be very suprised if he's still holding the title by the end of 2016

What? Condit is the best finisher at WW

I don't think Condit will finish Lawler. While it is possible with a kick or a huge strike I think he's much more likely to win a decision. I just hope this fight's exciting because these two could put on a war. Regardless you know Robbie will bring it

I don't think Condit will finish Lawler. While it is possible with a kick or a huge strike I think he's much more likely to win a decision. I just hope this fight's exciting because these two could put on a war. Regardless you know Robbie will bring it

how could it not be? Robbie can't play on the outside against Condit, he will have to come in and shut him down. Condit is also very good fighting in close so its going to get crazy.

The false idea that this will turn out like Condit v Diaz is ridiculous. Diaz has zero footwork and aside from his constant forward pressure, taking an angle out on Diaz isn't very difficult. Robbie would never let that happen for more than 1 minute before he figured it out and start to cut Condit off. Robbie isn't nearly as limited as diaz. I think Condit is in alot of trouble if he even tries that, it won't be easy to get away from Lawler without taking huge shots.

I really like Lawler but he gets TKOd after a head kick by Condit around round 3

Lawler comes out gun blazing and takes the first rd 10-9. 2nd rd is competitive and condit edges it. Lawler picks up pace and dominate the third, slows down in 4th but manages to take down Condit a couple of times with some good gnp and takes this rd as well. Lawler is tired as fuck in the 5th. Condit tries everything from overhand rights to head kicks but he is still unable to finish Lawler as Lawler just doesn't quit and dishes out a little punishment of his own. Condit manages to win the rd but ends up losing the fight 2-3.

I see my Aldo/Mcgregor breakdown has inspired you :). Good breakdown, I see it going the same way also.

He was definitely inspired by you with his lack of any actual meaningful breakdowns of techniques - just posting gifs and calling it a day. Its a shame how every sherdogger now thinks they can post gifs and call their "opinions" a breakdown. Just call it your opinion. Take the time to actually know what is going on so you can understand what youre watching and properly break it down to where you can call it a breakdown. Until then, leave it to the actual experts like me

I exposed you bad in that thread.

As for this thread. Its still better then youre awful thread

I havent even looked too deeply into this fight, but I can still offer a way more meaingful breakdowm of actual skills based on my casual views of their fights

Roby vs Rory. What Robbie did well:

When ever Rory would jab, Robbie would slip to the inside and land left counters. In boxing this is called splitting the jab.

Robbie also did a good job of timing Rory's lead hand probes and beating him with left leads when Rory was still set on probing.

Robbie really put a left straight clinic on Rory.

BUT we can also chalk this up to Rory's inexperience or lack of really developing any solid lead hand game.

When ever he drew a response he wouldnt act on it. This allowed Robbie to eventually settle in and start to get comfortable. He started staying his ground and timing Rory's probes with left leads.

Rory shouldve picked up on Robbie trying to time his probes with left leads, and started drawing it out to counter, timing short left hooks to beat Robbies left leads or left body kicks. Left hooks wouldve been perfect counters over Robbie's jabs. Or Rory couldve simply stepped outside /slip outside and countered Robbie's left straights with his right straights. Robbies lefts couldve even been rendered ineffective on the footwork level via Rory simply establishing lead foot domimance, taking himself out of the direct line of fire of the left and lining up his rights instead etc

Or him simply mixing it up with strong commital jabs off or inbetween his probes wouldve been able to keep Robbie honest or off set; allowing Rory to set him up easier, and get more responses to exploit as the fight went on

Rory really did a terrible job of standing in front of Robbie and letting Robbie line up his lefts and get them off at will with no consequence. Rory shouldve been trying to line up his own right straights, mixing in his own right leads off probes and jabs etc. This is why Conor is on another level in skill to everyone else. You see Conor always moving, lining up his lefts, probing, jabing and throwing the left off either thus never being predictable and always keeping opponents off balance while dictating

The other mistake from Rory was not being defensively responsible. Him probing without checking the power hand or being aware that Robbie's return would be the power hand. Rear power hand return or jab is the common reactions from fighters. The smartest fighters, like Floyd and Conor will uilise that to trick and decieve (probe knowing they will return so as to bait into the counter)

Still, kudos to Robbie. He has some skill, knew what to do, and kept exploiting. Robbie has developed into a much better striker from earlier in his career

However, If you want to watch HOW lead hand probes can be lethally effective in MMA -in the vien of how a high level boxer would do it in boxing, THEN WATCH CONOR. Conor is MMA's first and only REAL Striking SAVANT

As Conor probes, he is range finding, occupying and then making reads based on his opponents reactions. He will react first and ACT. Conor WILL dictate. He never allows opponents to get comfortable ala Rory. If Conor picks up on something, hes going to eat you alive based on that knowledge instantly. Like how Conor noticed that Poirier started reacting by going to a high guard. So Conor started probing to draw out the high guard while following up with loopy lefts around the guard, exposing Poirier's blind spots and drilling him. Thats the brilliance of Conor. Its in the MIND and NO ONE HAS A SHARPER mind or fight IQ then Conor.

Also as Conor probes he makes sure hes limiting his opponents rear power hand.

As Conor probes, Conor always maintains defensive responsibility in knowing his opponent can return fire, prepared for it, and in knowing what kind of shots opponents will likely react with...Hence Conor's KO of Bunchinger. Conor probing to draw out the power rear hand from Bunchinger, slipping outside then countering. Conor's KO of Bunchinger being the most flawless pull away counter in MMA.

Conor's skills and IQ are just on an entirely different level to everyone else in MMA. With Aldo's tendencies to over react to fients and or over commit, Conor's lead hand game + boxing + movement + counter game is going to wreak havok on Aldo.

Now here is what Robbie didnt do well (Or what Rory did well)

Being southpaw vs orthodox, RORY did do a good job of recognizing that Robbie"s body was directly in center and in line with front kicks.

Rory tore Robbie up with front kicks to the body aligned. After conditioning Robbie to the body, Rory went up top with high kicks rocking Robbie a couple times. That was good slick skill on Rory's part...Unfortunately Rory wasnt as slick with his boxing/boxing knowledge. (No one can be like Conor and have it all)

Now here is where it gets interesting and why that is most important to note

Condit has a diverse kicking game and does a great job of sneaking in those high kicks.....Its gets very interesting against Robbie now..

IF Condit is mixing it up with kicks. Commiting to kicks. Keeping Robbie off set. Going to the body and setting up the head. Keeping him at kicking range to where he cant get within boxing range and fight his kind of fight....then people are going to be shocked...IF Condit is on his Ps and Qs he can atrually beat Robbie quite clearly

IF Condit tries to straight up box with Robbie while staying in close, then it can get ugly for him. Or maybe Condit's knees and elbows will serve him better in tight, as opposed to Rory. Condit would still need to be aware of what Robbie does best.

Perhaps the fight will even be a war with both being able to implement their prefrence of skill at times. Going back and fourth

But striking wise, its clear Condit has the edge in versatility and has a far better kicking game then Robbie has a boxing game.

I cant wait for Robbie vs Condit. Its gonna be freaking awesome...and I feel Condit has what it takes to suprise

Im going to be looking at more fights from both. The more I study both and look into this fight, I will be able to start posting more deeper breakdowns.

Last edited:
I think Condit outworks him and wins a decision. Rooting for Lawler as always though.

Rooting for Condit, but it truly could go either way. Lawler is a beast.

Its gonna be a hell of a fight, I love this matchup.

I rarely stick my neck out there but fuck it...

Condit, UD.

He's far more multi-faceted than Lawler. Lawler has brutal power but he's mainly a puncher whereas Condit has the full arsenal. And an amazing chin.

Back