"Hard-Working American" Myth

if you honestly believe the playing field is equal than there is no debate to have. The facts and statistics don't matter much because u already have your idea set in stone.

The fact that women get paid less in 2014 for doing the exact same job should be proof enough that the playing field is not level.

That oft cited talking point is not true if all variables are held constant.

Maybe if more quit these "entry" jobs and less started them
Lets see how that would work for you

Maybe you should pick and dump your own trash

in the real world, someone else would take their place. supply is high for unskilled workers, so their price is low. if your skill set is in demand, you make money.

Economics rewards those who are useful to society.

skilled and unskilled labor are both useful to society. one just has a far higher supply, so they get paid like shit. with more valuable skills, they would be worth more. plenty of people can flip a burger. less can drive a forklift. less than that can wire up a house. less than that can practice medicine. its all just supply and demand.

Lol. People doing low wage labor use credit cards because they are receiving low wages. They are a necessity in order to pay for things like clothes and bills. If they weren't getting fucked by their employers in terms of wages, CCs wouldn't be needed.

Lol. If people stayed awake in school, didn't waste their money on dope and booze, and had children they could afford they wouldnt need credit cards. But as always it's someone else's fault.

That oft cited talking point is not true if all variables are held constant.

and youre talking point is about as valid as a coffee cup with no bottom...

women do not get paid the same, believe what u want, im sure u also believe global warming is a complete scam also. Ur a hand puppet for the neo con party..

Lol. If people stayed awake in school, didn't waste their money on dope and booze, and had children they could afford they wouldnt need credit cards. But as always it's someone else's fault.

these posts are the reasons youre laughed at and hated on by 99.9% of the people on this site..

Remember people if youre a garbage man, a janitor, hell even a mail man, its probably casue ur a drug addict and didn't pay attention in school...

Brought to you by The Old Goat foundation of misinformation and stupid neo con ideology..

Tell me old goat how does it feel to have Ronal Regans hand up ur bottom..

and youre talking point is about as valid as a coffee cup with no bottom...

women do not get paid the same, believe what u want, im sure u also believe global warming is a complete scam also. Ur a hand puppet for the neo con party..

the woman I work with is paid the same as me. every place I have ever been is like that. I dont see how any employer could pay women less without getting instantly sued.

the woman I work with is paid the same as me. every place I have ever been is like that. I dont see how any employer could pay women less without getting instantly sued.

and yet they are paid less, who would've thunk it.. :rolleyes:

I've noticed that. Of all my friends on Facebook, the ones who are always posting about equality and occupy wall street garbage are the same losers who always cut class, got high, and made fun of people who applied themselves in school.

At least I'm nice enough to not rub it in their faces now that the party is over.

Lucas agreeing with Old Goat.. :icon_chee

Its like Joseph Goebels agreeing with Rudolf Hess..

2 of the biggest donkey posters on this site.. Probably the same person..

Where in the American dream Or Canadian does it state that you will get ahead and have a fantastic live with all you desire, only having to work 1 entry level job?

Lord forbid, someone work 2 jobs

Naww funk that, I want the world at my feet for only workin forty.

I dont think people want the world at their feet for 40 hours a week.. just being able to afford housing is what most people want.

But for the so-called greatest country on earth? how come so many other countries can afford to pay workers a sustainable living.

Lucas agreeing with Old Goat.. :icon_chee

Its like Joseph Goebels agreeing with Rudolf Hess..

2 of the biggest donkey posters on this site.. Probably the same person..

Sucks having successful people point out your childish errors huh?

my girlfriend working a ministry of education job gets twice the pay as me, sits down all day and alternates between meetings discussing things.
And she gets paid for a 1 hour lunch.

I (and everyone else where I work, which is more the issue here as I certainly don't count on staying here very long) stand up 8 hours repetitively and quickly assembling car parts and do not get paid for lunch.

So I mean I know you can categorize "work" in different ways, but its pretty clear to see what is harder work in this case (and she would agree with me).

Right. Her job is harder. You do the same repetitive task for 8 hours a day. She has to interact with a variety of people and manage both her job tasks and the personalities that come with them.

Absolutely, she's working harder than you. You may be more tired than her at the end of the day but the plow horse is usually more tired than the farmer. That doesn't mean the horse is the brains of the operation, lol. :icon_chee

Hey, I want the guy to ask his girlfriend if, for exactly the same salary/hours, given the choice, she would keep her current job or opt to work as (for example) a jack-hammer operator for the highway department.

This will tell us which work she would deem the harder.

QB, you're confusing "more work" with "more thinking". Thinking is certainly one, limited type of labor. And of all the types of labor, it is, by almost any intelligent person's standards, the least distasteful type going.

But that doesn't make it "easy".

You need to ask the gf a completely different question: If she and the guy switched jobs, who could do the other's job as well without any additional training. And how long would it take for each to master the other's job?

But that doesn't make it "easy".

You need to ask the gf a completely different question: If she and the guy switched jobs, who could do the other's job as well without any additional training. And how long would it take for each to master the other's job?

"Easy" is relative. Going coast to coast, doing a crossover, and slam dunking is easier for Lebron James than it is for Stephen Hawking. Doing a math problem is easier for Stephen Hawking than it is for Lebron James.

the plow horse is usually more tired than the farmer. That doesn't mean the horse is the brains of the operation, lol. :icon_chee

the plow horse isn't the brain, bit it certainly is working harder. thats why the farmer drives instead of plowing it himself.

It's not that complex. I've seen it first hand. Here's what happens - a woman decides she wants to have children and gets pregnant. During the pregnancy her work output drops. This results in lower scores (and lower raises if relevant).

After have the child, she takes 3 months off from work. Technically, she's still employed but in reality her contribution is zero. This impacts rewards for work done.

Then after having the child the woman's attention is split between work and home and she doesn't maintain the same mindless zeal for her work as before. This means she stops staying late, extra networking, etc. This means lower bonuses, less chance for promotion, etc.

Note that the woman never left the workforce during this whole experience. So on paper she's worked just as long as her male counterpart...in reality she's stopped working just as hard as her male counterpart.

That's not to say some real injustices aren't out there but most of them are reflections of choices made within the workplace that raw salary figures don't capture.

Yeah that's it.

Why must you always go to the extremes when making your points? Everyone who is poor or down and out is smoking crack and has 20 kids according to you. You do realize we had a thriving healthy educated middle class in America at one point right? What do you think was the cause of those millions of Americans becoming impoverished? Did they all suddenly become morons out of the blue and turn to crack?

Back