"Hard-Working American" Myth

I think there is an objective answer. Some people are more suited to specific tasks but that's about the people, not the task.

Is difficulty determined by how many people can do the task, or something else?

How exactly is middle class defined? In my neck of the woods even the poor have flat screens and cell phones. They might be poor but their standards of living are very high historically speaking.

It's defined by your income, not by whether or not you have a flatscreen. I know a lot of poor people who have flatscreens. What's a flatscreen, like $400 bucks?

The horse's job is certainly easier. It doesn't have to understand or do anything but it's immediate task. The farmer has to do all the planning plus he must understand the horse's job if he's to direct it.
planning and understanding do not make it harder. I can plan how to plow a field, actually doing it by hand, not so much. it is more valuable to think certainly, but not harder.

I make 500 bucks a week, I could afford a flat screen in one week. I wouldn't be able to save anything that week and I'd have to not eat 3 squares but poor people can afford nice things. Its not like you need to buy a new tv every month.

just because they have nice things doesn't mean they aren't poor. They can still only afford to live in cheap housing in dangerous areas, living paycheck to paycheck.

It's defined by your income, not by whether or not you have a flatscreen. I know a lot of poor people who have flatscreens. What's a flatscreen, like $400 bucks?

OldGoat is such a donkey he thinks the poor in America should live like they do in Somalia..

That would help him sleep better at night, knowing the poor are really POOR...

The guy is a world class donkey..

OldGoat is such a donkey he thinks the poor in America should live like they do in Somalia..

That would help him sleep better at night, knowing the poor are really POOR...

The guy is a world class donkey..

I thought we were friends? I mean I help pay for your SNAP card and Obama flat screen. You can call me daddy-goat.

It's not that complex. I've seen it first hand. Here's what happens - a woman decides she wants to have children and gets pregnant. During the pregnancy her work output drops. This results in lower scores (and lower raises if relevant).

After have the child, she takes 3 months off from work. Technically, she's still employed but in reality her contribution is zero. This impacts rewards for work done.

Then after having the child the woman's attention is split between work and home and she doesn't maintain the same mindless zeal for her work as before. This means she stops staying late, extra networking, etc. This means lower bonuses, less chance for promotion, etc.

Note that the woman never left the workforce during this whole experience. So on paper she's worked just as long as her male counterpart...in reality she's stopped working just as hard as her male counterpart.

That's not to say some real injustices aren't out there but most of them are reflections of choices made within the workplace that raw salary figures don't capture.

Pretty much this. The 77 cents to a dollar stat that you hear feminists and liberals spouting (including Obama himself) is comparing all full-time female workers to all full-time male workers regardless of trade or number of hours worked (other than 35+ hours a week).

The truth is a little more complicated...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/
Why the Gender Pay Gap is a Complete Myth

Men are far more likely to choose careers that are more dangerous, so they naturally pay more. Top 10 most dangerous jobs (from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics): Fishers, loggers, aircraft pilots, farmers and ranchers, roofers, iron and steel workers, refuse and recyclable material collectors, industrial machinery installation and repair, truck drivers, construction laborers. They're all male-dominated jobs.

Men are far more likely to work in higher-paying fields and occupations (by choice).
According to the White House report, "In 2009, only 7 percent of female professionals were employed in the relatively high paying computer and engineering fields, compared with 38 percent of male professionals." Professional women, on the other hand, are far more prevalent "in the relatively low-paying education and health care occupations."

Men are far more likely to take work in uncomfortable, isolated, and undesirable locations that pay more.Men work longer hours than women do. The average fulltime working man works 6 hours per week or 15 percent longer than the average fulltime working woman.

Men are more likely to take jobs that require work on weekends and evenings and therefore pay more.

Even within the same career category, men are more likely to pursue high-stress and higher-paid areas of specialization. For example, within the medical profession, men gravitate to relatively high-stress and high-paying areas of specialization, like surgery, while women are more likely to pursue relatively lower-paid areas of specialization like pediatrician or dentist.

Despite all of the above, unmarried women who've never had a child actually earn more than unmarried men, according to Nemko and data compiled from the Census Bureau.

Women business owners make less than half of what male business owners make, which, since they have no boss, means it's independent of discrimination. The reason for the disparity, according to a Rochester Institute of Technology study, is that money is the primary motivator for 76% of men versus only 29% of women. Women place a higher premium on shorter work weeks, proximity to home, fulfillment, autonomy, and safety, according to Nemko.

That being said, talking about the "war on women" and spouting the misleading 77c stat is just a way for the democrats to score easy points and pander to the female base. And of course, any republican who publicly states the factors involved that contribute to the pay gap is just asking to be demonized and ripped to shreds by the liberal feminist base and media.

I make 500 bucks a week, I could afford a flat screen in one week. I wouldn't be able to save anything that week and I'd have to not eat 3 squares but poor people can afford nice things. Its not like you need to buy a new tv every month.

just because they have nice things doesn't mean they aren't poor. They can still only afford to live in cheap housing in dangerous areas, living paycheck to paycheck.

Here's a tip. You have finite time in this life. You could learn a skill or acquire knowledge in the time you watch Tv and double your income, or you could watch more garbage.

Have a short, medium, and long term goal and then work a bit each day to progress on those goals.

I thought we were friends? I mean I help pay for your SNAP card and Obama flat screen. You can call me daddy-goat.

I would never be friends with a donkey like you... Youre a world class tool box. Your compassion is that of Heirich Himmler and your ideas are as outdated as a rotary phone.. Keep hoping that Reganomics works...

Youre a bad person and the problem is there are to many people like you out there... Just a small small man.

Pretty much this. The 77 cents to a dollar stat that you hear feminists and liberals spouting (including Obama himself) is comparing all full-time female workers to all full-time male workers regardless of trade or number of hours worked (other than 35+ hours a week).

The truth is a little more complicated...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/

That being said, talking about the "war on women" is just easy points for the democrats and they use the highly misleading 77 cent stat in order to pander to women.

And of course, any republican who publicly states the factors involved that contribute to the pay gap is just asking to be demonized by the liberal feminist base and media.

"sexist" is the left's one word rebuttal to your facts. What do you think resonates greater in the mind of the mob?

I would never be friends with a donkey like you... Youre a world class tool box. Your compassion is that of Heirich Himmler and your ideas are as outdated as a rotary phone.. Keep hoping that Reganomics works...

Youre a bad person and the problem is there are to many people like you out there... Just a small small man.

That's hurtful. Why you want to compare me to second rate Nazi? can't I at least be Hitler?

"sexist" is the left's one word rebuttal to your facts. What do you think resonates greater in the mind of the mob?

lmaooo a Neo Con debating FACTS...

Oh the F'n irony..

Goat you truly are a GEM.....

Im serious folks Louis CK cannot write this type of comedy..

Goat you are so masterful in your donkiness, please don't stop, my sides hurt from the laughter.

Now that's what I call the real American spirit in a nutshell: "I may be being economically exploited now, but through hard work and determination I will one day be the one doing the exploiting."

Yes. Because all (or most) employers are exploiters.....:rolleyes:

lmaooo a Neo Con debating FACTS...

Oh the F'n irony..

Goat you truly are a GEM.....

Im serious folks Louis CK cannot write this type of comedy..

Goat you are so masterful in your donkiness, please don't stop, my sides hurt from the laughter.

Not to derail the topic too much but what exactly is a neo con?

Yes. Because all (or most) employers are exploiters.....:rolleyes:

well when they aren't busy exploiting the poor of other nations, polluting the environment, lobbying Washington and feeding us poison..

its like you've never picked up a newspaper in your life.. Oh to be this na

Yeah conservatives are just breaking their asses giving the biggest handouts in the form of corporate welfare to all their like minded friends..

You sir are living with your head up your ass.. Cable and Thanos would scoff at your brain washed speech..

and tell me when the liberal line has ever been "Tax the rich" to me its more about them creating a level playing ground for all. Not just some fat white old man sitting in some office on Wall Street.

people like you are truly clueless..

HELLO KONG, YOU MUST BE NEW TO SHERDOG AND NEW TO THE WORLD.:icon_chee

I'M CLUELESS BUT YOU DON'T THINK TLIBERALS ANSWER TO EVERYTHING IS RAISE TAXES. LOL THATS PRECIOUS

Here's a tip. You have finite time in this life. You could learn a skill or acquire knowledge in the time you watch Tv and double your income, or you could watch more garbage.

Have a short, medium, and long term goal and then work a bit each day to progress on those goals.

have all these, but to risk it all in attempts to get a job now without paying off my debt would be disastrous.
In this job market you are never guaranteed of a job no matter how skilled you are.

Realy, how well do questions like "How would you give someone good service?" tell you about how skilled an individual is.

I get that one takes more education.
that doesn't change the fact that it is by far easier labor than manual labor.

What is work?
work is technically a measure of joules, force times distance.
In reality this is basically calories burned.

So sure you burn calories thinking but not nearly as much as doing labor.
In terms of physics manual labor is harder work.

Oh, now we're going with the strict physics definitions? I wish you'd said that in the very beginning. :icon_conf Which task burns more calories.

It makes sense, I suppose. It allows us to promote a world view where we can pretend that the value of education is irrelevant when deciding if a task is difficult.

So, we're all in agreement that LBJ works harder than Stephen Hawking?

Damn, even when you change the rules of the game, I stay winning. :icon_chee

Back