1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

"Hard-Working American" Myth

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by MarcoW, May 11, 2014.

1. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

what if, due to lack of jobs, due to racism, sexism, or a criminal past that you have put behind you, you cannot find such a job?

Clearly its more complicated than that.

2. Perfidious Purple Belt

The American Dream isn't some written document that has guidelines, genius. It's just a line conservashits always repeat, that isn't true.

My point being that you need some sort of skill to make money, along with dedication and hard work. You need to gain some skills to advance.

3. IGIT Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

hello CableandThanos,

i think the definition of the "american dream" changes as society changes. in terms of what you're referencing, yesterday's dream is now today's distant fantasy.

http://hedricksmith.com/timeline-who-stole-the-american-dream/

i don't see this as "good" or "bad", it's just the way it is. as the baby boomers age and either die out or descend into dementia, this olde thyme version of the American Dream will whither and fade.

- IGIT

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. IGIT Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

hiya MarcoW,

i don't know, i can't speak to that. i'm not white, nor were my parent's born in this country, and we have managed to do very well in the United States.

your OP seemed to center around entry level jobs, not corner offices in upper management - minorities and women seem very well represented in entry level jobs.

if you have a criminal past? tough shit, you know?

- IGIT

5. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

Reginald from the Polo Club is thankful for your inspiring Protestant work ethic.

6. 7437 Banned Banned

get a better job. electrical union is usually picking up apprentices.

7. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

When the playing field isn't even equal to begin with why are people crying "work harder."

The deck is stacked so much in certain groups favor u could work 24 hours a day and it wouldn't matter much.

8. IGIT Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

hello Kong,

i don't want to seem combative or disrespectful, but which "group" has the deck stacked against them?

jewish MBAs?

hispanic american Petroleum engineers?

african american Pediatricians?

asian americans in the Pharma industry?

or is it people who work at Taco Bell?

- IGIT

9. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

no electrician would want an apprentice that goes to classes 4 days a week.
    and I would likely have to go to a trade school, where I would rack up more debt.
    No I have to keep the path I'm on now. The only reason I'm doing as well as I am is because I was a member of an upper-middle class family until 3 years ago.

10. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

women, ethnic minorities, the working poor, the disabled, etc etc.
    You can cite firsthand sources all you want but statistics show that this is still the case.

11. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's hard work and/or education that gets you ahead.

Consumerism is the bigger issue when it comes to what people think that poverty is. People think because they don't have a McMansion, a BMW and $1,000 watch that they are someone in poverty.

Like Pan said, entry level jobs aren't supposed to pay great. You can work hard and get promoted in that field or become more educated and get the hell out.

Could you imagine how much more some of these people could accomplish if they worked as hard at their job as they do worrying about how much other people make and what they have?

12. Queen B He / Him / His

LOL at blue collar and entry level jobs being "hard work"

13. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

And yet you see people from all those groups thrive. What their excuse? Or lack of excuse should I say?

14. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

Is this the part where we complain about CEO salaries as if somehow what they make even affects anyone else that works for that same company?

15. IGIT Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

hello again Marco,

i don't know, i guess. this is a pretty broad topic and hard to discuss in two or three paragraph snippets.

women in major US cities who are without children are actually doing very well, financially - but if you leave the workforce for a couple years to raise children, it tends to truncate your advancement.

that's just reality.

regarding ethnic minorities, i can see your point - certainly i find it odd that Asian americans, despite their academic prowess, seem to hit a glass ceiling in most US corporate structures and i've never understood it.

regarding the poor - sure, the deck is stacked against them. i'm curious how well the working poor made use of my K-12 tax dollars that i've been contributing to all my life.

regarding the disabled? i guess it is sort of hard to advance in certain fields if you're missing an arm or a leg or are wheelchair bound. i don't know what to do about that.

- IGIT

16. Gametheory Brown Belt

That's just some rhetoric thrown around in conservative circle jerks.
    Most people in rich countries work hard.

One difference is that Americans have less vacation time.

17. IGIT Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

hello Queen B,

it can be hard work, physically - mostly it's sort of boring work.

- IGIT

18. 7437 Banned Banned

Sure they will. Take night classes. The schedules are pretty stable, so you can plan classes around them. And trade schools arent a good thing, an apprenticeship is the same thing, but you get paid instead of paying for it. IBEW has a good program for guys getting started.

The only reason I am doing well is because I did 6 in the military and make sure I have a plan for everything I do. I came from a lower class family, and am already better off than my parents. It is rough, but it gets better every day.

19. 7437 Banned Banned

Im sure he does. I am aware that I make more profit for others than I do for myself. I do not plan on working for someone else forever.

20. Bay Area Silver Belt

Lol. People doing low wage labor use credit cards because they are receiving low wages. They are a necessity in order to pay for things like clothes and bills. If they weren't getting fucked by their employers in terms of wages, CCs wouldn't be needed.