Grip and BW stuff for Wrestling

I had wrestling practice from 7:00 - 8:30 and it was brutal. We did some running, sprints, pushups, situps, etc. after live goes. First time back in a couple of weeks due to a sinus infection and laziness. After practice, I mustered enough will to go to the gym and do ...

3 sets of my Super-Duper-Ific-Bibidi-Bob-Ito-Tastic Complexes: (1 minute rest in between sets)

Handstand pushups (7,6,4)
Bentover Rows (135lbs) 3 sets of 10
Situps (sets of 30)
Pushups (sets of 15)
Pullups (8,6,4) I slacked off big time on these...
Front Neck Bridges (30 second intervals)
Rolling Thunder (timed holds with 90lbs)

I am going to start doing the Rolling Thunder EVERYDAY and see how that works out for me. Of course, some days, the weight level will be max, and others, moderate. Today was a moderate day. My forearms are sore, but I am hoping to get the "farmer-strength" in my hands from working them everyday ... like a farmer ....

Good workout.

Diligent said:
I am going to start doing the Rolling Thunder EVERYDAY and see how that works out for me.
I have a feeling your going to fry your hands, but as I've ordered a RT this morning I'd like to know how this scheme works out for you.

I like your complex but isn't 15 kind of low for press ups? with only 3 sets you only end up doing 45 press ups which, no offence, is'nt really that much.

SmashiusClay said:
I have a feeling your going to fry your hands, but as I've ordered a RT this morning I'd like to know how this scheme works out for you.

I like your complex but isn't 15 kind of low for press ups? with only 3 sets you only end up doing 45 press ups which, no offence, is'nt really that much.

Yeah, I guess I'll kinda be like a lab rat in some experiment with the RT, but I figured I'd give it a try. Today will be the third day in a row, and my forearms are pretty sore already ... I have "tard hands" right now! LOL

Hehe, well about those pushups, if you read what went on in wrestling practice that night, you'll see that I already did a lot of pushups/sprints/sit-ups/etc. ... I believe we ended up doing like 4 sets of 40 pushups ... after a brutal practice. Sooo, since this is my first time back doing complexes since ... I guess 3 weeks or so, I just kept it down to 15 ... I could've done more, but I'll move it up progressively. My shoulders were pretty shot too from the handstand pushups. ... man I'm sore today ... feels good. :D

Diligent said:
Yeah, I guess I'll kinda be like a lab rat in some experiment with the RT, but I figured I'd give it a try. Today will be the third day in a row, and my forearms are pretty sore already ... I have "tard hands" right now! LOL

Hehe, well about those pushups, if you read what went on in wrestling practice that night, you'll see that I already did a lot of pushups/sprints/sit-ups/etc. ... I believe we ended up doing like 4 sets of 40 pushups ... after a brutal practice. Sooo, since this is my first time back doing complexes since ... I guess 3 weeks or so, I just kept it down to 15 ... I could've done more, but I'll move it up progressively. My shoulders were pretty shot too from the handstand pushups. ... man I'm sore today ... feels good. :D
oh, fair enough on the push ups, if you were knackered from a practice thats cool. I sympathise on the 'tard hands, was doing overcrushes yesterday and can barely hold a pen today (my hand writing is even more illegible than normal which is really quite a feat), let me know what you find works best on frequency for RT work as I see it as being a cool way to develop my controlling grip on wrists and ankles for my no-gi work.

SmashiusClay said:
oh, fair enough on the push ups, if you were knackered from a practice thats cool. I sympathise on the 'tard hands, was doing overcrushes yesterday and can barely hold a pen today (my hand writing is even more illegible than normal which is really quite a feat), let me know what you find works best on frequency for RT work as I see it as being a cool way to develop my controlling grip on wrists and ankles for my no-gi work.

Yeah, I'll keep ya updated. My forearms seem to be getting sorer by the minute today ... today's RT training will be ... interesting ....

Usually if one does the same exercise everyday, will lead to burn out, if they don't rest or change something in that exercise, but eventually rest is more important.

Duncon76 said:
Usually if one does the same exercise everyday, will lead to burn out, if they don't rest or change something in that exercise, but eventually rest is more important.

I'm thinking that I'll try to get maybe 1 to 2 good days of rest/no RT each week ... I do realize that there has to be some period for rest that's atleast longer than just one day .... I should've mentioned this ... but either way, doing the RT 5 to 6 times a week is gonna be tough!
:D

Tuesday:

Didn't get to do any cardio due to crazy schedule with work, school and holiday cr- ... stuff. But I did make some thickbars out of PVC pipes that are 2 3/4 inches wide. I can't use the RT at home because I don't have olympic size plates, so I just did the thick bar holds in my garage ... basically the same thing.

Thickbar timed holds (2 3/4 inch wide) with 75lbs
3 sets of front/side/back neck bridges (30 second sets)

My thumbs and forearms are sore as a goat ... but I am starting to get that 'hardness' and toughness back in my hands that I lost a bit of in these 3 prior week. Feels good.

Something I forgot to mention ... we actually had a guy in Monday's wrestling practice (who is about 190 something) that is 'known' for his grip strength, in which he uses it to his advantage to control everyone, and when I went up against him ... he got NOTHING on me. I broke his grip every time and he couldn't get out of my grip unless I let him out ... he was surprised ... it felt good. :) Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish any takedowns on him ... but he never got me down, either, so meh.... :D

A friend of mine being a former national wrestler back in the day tell me the strongest kid overall and grip wise was a deaf kid they had on the wrestlers team. Using ones hands all day using sign langauge goes a long way..

Duncon76 said:
A friend of mine being a former national wrestler back in the day tell me the strongest kid overall and grip wise was a deaf kid they had on the wrestlers team. Using ones hands all day using sign langauge goes a long way..

Hm, that's odd. Lou Ferrigno is 80% deaf and he's super strong ... maybe they know something we don't ... hmmmm ....

Anyway, today I went to the gym and did the 30 seconds normal pace/30 seconds as-fast-as-I-can-go pace on the stationary bike (level 10), no rest in between, for 15 minutes. I could've gone on, but it's been a while since I've done it for 15 minutes straight, so I didn't go further. I'll be shooting for 18 -20 minutes next time. Man it's rough ....

Then I did timed RT holds. Today my hands felt pretty dang good. I went up to 115lbs. I bet I probably could've gotten 120lbs, but I did so many sets with 90, 100, 110, and 115 beforehand, my hands were starting to poop out.

I also did situps, crunches, and flutter kicks in between RT sets.

Good workout.

Monday:

OKAAAAAYYY!!!! I'M BACK!!

Weight - 152lbs

Had wrestling practice from 6:30-8:30. Had to wrestle half the time with some 265lb mountain of a man. That was fun. At the end of practice we did sprints, laps, pushups and situps. Then I hit the gym and did:

3 sets of my Super-Duper-Ific-Bibidi-Bob-Ito-Tastic Complexes: (1 minute rest in between sets)

Handstand pushups (8,7,6) could've done more on that first set ...
Bentover Rows (145lbs) 3 sets of 8
Situps (sets of 30)
Pushups (sets of 20)
Pullups (10,8,6) my lats were so fried from wrestling ...
Front/Side Neck Bridges (30 second intervals)
Rolling Thunder (timed holds with up to 110lbs)

Man, my lats and my grip were fried from wrestling practice. Wrestling practice was a grip workout in itself ... trying to hold on to some big, sweaty 260lb guy's fat wrists ... sheesh.

Good workout. I've got BJJ practice today. woohoo

Tuesday:

Had BJJ practice from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. Went pretty well, did good in my live goes. My left elbow (inside part) started hurting a bit, but that's just 'cause I had hard wrestling the night before, but it wasn't too bad or anything ....

I wasn't able to go to the gym to do my Rolling Thunder work last night. I just didn't have time because I had like a buh-jillion things due for school. This is the last week of the semester, so it's getting pretty busy. I'll go to the gym and get it done tonight!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, Duncon76, I am going to start doing towel pullups next week as you suggested quite some time ago. Any suggestions? I'm guessing that the two towels need to be the same size? And should I grab the towels more towards the bottom, top, or middle??? thanks :D

T. Pullups, you can use 1 or two towells. I usually use a long towell, throw over a chin up bar, so there is plenty of room to grab anywhere I want. I grab in the middle..

Thursday:

Had wrestling practice from 6:30 to 8:30. We worked real hard and I felt pretty good. We worked on the fireman's carry a lot and different set-ups that lead to the fireman's (set-ups other than merely tying up one of your opponents arms) ... then worked on improvising if your opponent's arm slips out, so you can switch to a single, then a double, etc.. We did some running w/ the medicine balls, pushups, and situps at the end.

I gotta say, wrestling, especially when down on the mat, is quite a grip workout in itself. I didn't go to the gym to do my RT, but I did try to start training my CoC #2 gripper again, and ... my thumb felt GREAT!!! I still had a lil' bit of pain, but my thumb is almost back up to par. So looks like I can start my gripper training again. I tried levering, too, but that still really hurts my thumb ... atleast with the weight I am using ....

Duncon76 So if you are only using one towel, you must be using a pretty narrow grip, right?

Duncon76 said:
No, Its a very thick Towell :)

umm, I meant, like, in terms of how close your hands are together (like wide grip or narrow grip)

NO wrestling practice tonight, but I did have time to go to the gym and do

Handstand pushups (10,6,5) woohoo, I hit 10 reps on the first set!
Bentover Rows (155lbs) 3 sets of 8
Situps (sets of 30)
Pushups (sets of 25)
Pullups (10,6,5) my lats were so fried from wrestling ...
Front/Side Neck Bridges (30 second intervals)

Rolling Thunder (timed holds with up to 115lbs)
(superset w/)
Pinch Grip w/ 2 25lb plates

I actually did the Rolling Thunder work and pinch grip stuff before everything else, so I could start focusing a little more on my grip. Good workout. I WILL start doing the RT everyday like I said, maybe with an exception on the weekends.

Last week of school. Busy, busy, busy. Exams, work, wrestling, bjj, church stuff, and mom's nagging = tough week. :)

On pullups?? hmm, Well, I throw the towell over the pole, so i grab the towell in the middle, so basically the palms of my hands are facing each other and when I pull up, bottom of my wrists touch my chest, so my hands are close together..

My wife bought me a 300pds weight set for the basement today, early christmas present, so now I have that, sandbag, thick dumbells, clubbells, chin up bar, I am a happy man :)))))...godda love the hoildays :)))))))

Good workout, but i think you should do more weighted resistence on the exercises...Just suggestioning :))))))))

Have you read Pavel's books "Power to the People" and "Naked Warrior" at
www.dragondoor.com

?????????

Duncon76 said:
On pullups?? hmm, Well, I throw the towell over the pole, so i grab the towell in the middle, so basically the palms of my hands are facing each other and when I pull up, bottom of my wrists touch my chest, so my hands are close together..

My wife bought me a 300pds weight set for the basement today, early christmas present, so now I have that, sandbag, thick dumbells, clubbells, chin up bar, I am a happy man :)))))...godda love the hoildays :)))))))

Good workout, but i think you should do more weighted resistence on the exercises...Just suggestioning :))))))))

Have you read Pavel's books "Power to the People" and "Naked Warrior" at
www.dragondoor.com

?????????

Ok, so it's a close-grip ... I went straight to the gym after work and didn't have a big enough towel, but next Monday I try it out! :D

Man, that's quite a christmas present ya got there! I agree in that I should try some more 'weighted resistance' exercises ... it's just that there is basically one thing holding me back ... elbow (what seems to be) tendonitis (which also seems to be getting better, btw) and a once injured shoulder. Can you give me examples of what you would suggest regarding 'more weighted resistence'? I'm not wanting to go super-heavy, btw ...

And no, I haven't read those books, or dinosaur training (which you suggested earlier). I should do myself a favor and check them out. :)

Tuesday:

Yesterday I had BJJ practice from 7:00 to 8:30. I finally got a GI, so now, I am officially a white belt. yay.

But hey, it was like my fifth practice, and I got my first 2 subs last night!!! WooHoo!!! Both were keylocks that I slapped on two different people. Felt good.

Afterwards, I did 10 sets of timed holds with the Rolling Thunder (90lbs). I think I'm gonna try not to go real heavy 2 days in a row on the RT, so for each day I go up to my max and what not, the next day I'll just do longer time but with lesser weight. We'll see how that works.

Back