Grip and BW stuff for Wrestling

Catch_Shannon said:
Diligent,

Great thread, thought you might dig these (these are the original workouts that launched much of the BWE craze) too...

C4CS v.1

C4CS v.2

Wow, thanks, bro. Those look pretty interesting. :D

Friday:

bw = 148lbs

RT timed holds w/ up to 110lbs (light day).

(leg warm-up) 1 mile @ 8.5 speed on treadmill.

Bodyweight lunges (to one side of gym and back) + shots (wrestling - to one side of gym and back) + bodyweight lunges again (to one side of gym and back) + 50 bodyweight squats going below parallel, as fast as I could. I did 3 sets of this with no rest in between reps/sets.

6 sets of front and side neck bridges.

15 minutes on bike.

More neck bridges.

Goodness gracious. Well, today was the first wrestling practice from 6:30 - 8:30 at Lamar HS and the UTD team and the UTA team (I'm w/ UTA) came, along w/ a bunch of top high school wrestlers.

Practice was just exhausting. Dude, after 1 hour of HARD training of drills, takedowns, and standups ... the coaches made everyone do live goes for 15 MINUTES STRAIGHT!!!!! NO STOPPING!!! What the heck!? That might might not seem that bad just hearing about it, but believe me, it's so exhausting. That's like a full MMA fight right there ... except for NO breaks. We all were about to die. People were heaving and throwing up everywhere. Every two minutes we would switch with another person and go live with them and so forth .... And this was like the worst day for this to happen, too, because yesterday I pigged out on two bowls of popcorn, 4 slices caked with butter and honey, then I ate a bunch of muenster cheese, and then some vanilla yogurt with raspberries (I know, I'm quite a weirdo) ... I almost puked last night ... and then tonight we had this grueling practice. And AFTER the 15 minute non-stop live go, we still went another 30 minutes doing live goes starting on bottom or top.
Ug.

After wrestling practice, I managed to some how get to the gym, and I did:

3 sets of my Super-Duper-Ific-Bibidi-Bob-Ito-Tastic Complexes: (NO rest in between reps or sets)

Handstand pushups (10, 7, 4) I could have done more on that first set, but ....
Bentover Rows (165lbs) (8, 8, 7)
Situps (sets of 30)
Pushups (sets of 25)
Pullups (10,9,7)
Front/Side Neck Bridges (30 second intervals)

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day) (went up to 135lbs)

DUDE! I was like soooo close to getting 135lbs! I got it all the way up, but I couldn't hold on for that one second at lock out, but Thurday I think I just might get it. 130lbs felt a lot easier than last time for my right hand, too.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm still alive.

Diligent, That is awesome man. Seriously, your conditioning is incredible. Only thing I could say is try to eat a bit cleaner and healthier, if for nothing else, to help with your recovery. Nice job man. Wrestling rules!

Awesome job on the RT.

rickdog said:
Diligent, That is awesome man. Seriously, your conditioning is incredible. Only thing I could say is try to eat a bit cleaner and healthier, if for nothing else, to help with your recovery. Nice job man. Wrestling rules!

Awesome job on the RT.

Thanks, brother. Yeah, I am VERY suceptible to eating bad. It takes a lot of regimentation and discipline to eat right. But I gotsta have my vanilla yogurt and raspberries!!!! :D

Tuesday:

BW = 149 :icon_evil

BJJ practice from 6:30 to 8:30. Practice went ok ... I should have stuck it out more ... I was just so pooped and sore from yesterday ... but that's just an excuse, really. I didn't get tapped by anyone, but I didn't tap any one, either. I am learning from some of my rookie mistakes, though. I think I might be entering my first BJJ tournament on Feb. 4th!!!! The sooner I get in to compete, the better, I think. I've got nothing to lose and I think I will really learn a lot.

After practice, I did:

20 minutes of 'shadow shooting' (just practicing shots/penetrations)

Some thickbar (2.5 inch) dumbbell timed holds.

Back and side neck bridges.

Good for you man. Competing is fun. My first comp. was nervewracking. I almost decided against it but my buddy talked me into it. I ended up winning my two matches. I loved it. GL bro. I'm sure you will do great. Keep everyone posted on if you are going to enter and if you do let us know how you did.

I will let you build your confidence up in bjj so if we ever meet up you will feel good about yourself until I submit you 60 times a minute (that's if i decide to take it easy). J/K obviously, and kudos to you for having the guts to step up and compete this early into your training. IMO, it is the best thing you can do. Even if you walk away with a loss, you will learn alot.

rickdog said:
Good for you man. Competing is fun. My first comp. was nervewracking. I almost decided against it but my buddy talked me into it. I ended up winning my two matches. I loved it. GL bro. I'm sure you will do great. Keep everyone posted on if you are going to enter and if you do let us know how you did.

I will let you build your confidence up in bjj so if we ever meet up you will feel good about yourself until I submit you 60 times a minute (that's if i decide to take it easy). J/K obviously, and kudos to you for having the guts to step up and compete this early into your training. IMO, it is the best thing you can do. Even if you walk away with a loss, you will learn alot.

Haha, thanks man. It'll be weird, in the sense that I'll actually be competing in BJJ first before I ever actually compete in wrestling, because wrestling was really all I originally wanted to do.

Oh, and rickdog, don't even think about messing with me, man ... I have MASTERED "the tap"!!!! haha That will be what I will be practicing most ... tapping out! ha I'll have the quickest tap in the west!!!!! :)

Friday:

It's about time I got my bum-bum back in the gym! Tonight was a light night, though.

bw = 149lbs

RT singles (New PR!!! 135lbs w/ right hand, and 130lbs w/ left hand) :D :D :D

Pinch grip: sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs), then w/ a 25lb plate + a 35lb plate (60lbs).

(leg warm-up) 1 mile @ 8.5 speed on treadmill.

Bodyweight lunges (to one side of gym and back) + shots (wrestling - to one side of gym and back) + bodyweight lunges again (to one side of gym and back) + 50 bodyweight squats going below parallel, as fast as I could. I did 3 sets of this with no rest in between reps/sets. Felt very good.

I also did tons of front and side neck bridges all through out my workout tonight, probably like 25 sets or so ....

Diligent, Congrats on the RT record. Thats pretty dang good man. Keep up the good work.

I guess I will have to use more than my pinkey and thumb now that you are catching up.

rickdog said:
Diligent, Congrats on the RT record. Thats pretty dang good man. Keep up the good work.

I guess I will have to use more than my pinkey and thumb now that you are catching up.

Oh yeah?! Well, uh ... I guess I'LL just have to start using more than my thumb and ... uh ... other fingers ... wait, no ... uh ... *tries to think of good come back*... ... ... I got nothin'. :D

Monday:

Wrestling practice from 6:30 to 8:30. It was brutal. I don't even want to talk about it now.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practice from 7:00 - 8:30. Practice went ok. We worked on reversals and converting to knee-bars. Very cool.

I went up against a 210 lber who had over a year under his belt, and I got tapped twice, once with a triangle and once with an armbar. I did pretty well against him, though, and when I was going against him, that was the first time I had ever even attempted a triangle choke in a live go ... I didn't get it, but it was good to atleast realize that I saw and tried to capitalize on an opening.

I also went up against the blue belt there that tapped my three times last time, and hey, I didn't get tapped at all this time! He came close, but I learned from my mistakes last time and I was able to not get tapped, even though I was completely dominated in all other aspects.

After practice, we did some pushups and situps. I am so sore from yesterday, and I have wrestling practice tomorrow at 6:30. It is usually on Thursday nights, but there is a dual on Thursday, so we have practice tomorrow. I will show up, though. And I will try to give it my all this time.

Wednesday:

Rolling Thunder singles. My grip was fried from wrestling and BJJ two days in a row. I could only get 125. Not good. Plus, I have a chunk of skin missing on my right palm, which was ripped off from pinch grip, so gripping anything hurts like a motha.

Back and side neck bridges.

30 minutes on the stationary bike.

OK, due to a totally new idea for training and of course, a desire for a new start for the year, THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED.

I will be starting a new training thread shortly with a different approach to my over-all training. :D

Back