Grip and BW stuff for Wrestling

Duncon76 said:
Ever do Ladders for your bodyweight stuff??

sets of 1,2.3,4,5,..etc, go up until somewhat tired, then start back at 1 and go until almost tired..or you could start at 5 or higher, or whatever number and work back down again. Dam, you could do hunddreds of reps this way..

ALso Using a Deck of cards too. Name an exercise for a spade and the rest of them and whatever number comes up for that card/exercise ..do that number of reps..lots of fun.

No, I've never tried that...what would be the benefit of that rather than just doing each set to failure?

I've been getting some good insight by looking at your log, btw. You definitely mix it up a lot and have some cool routines in there ... gives me some good ideas... :D

several studies have shown that by training to failure, you tax your CNS too much and run the risk of overtraining, moreover, when you reach failure your form breaks down and it teaches you poor techniques, it messes with the best path that the lift should take naturally. In simplified words, training to failure teaches you to fail.

Now, I dunno how well this carries over to bodyweight/light load stuff, it might not apply as much as to heavy weights. You can ask this on the forum, better informed people might know.

Try ladders, I did them for push ups and chinus, they are effective and I enjoy them more than just doing say, push ups to failure.

Noskill said:
several studies have shown that by training to failure, you tax your CNS too much and run the risk of overtraining, moreover, when you reach failure your form breaks down and it teaches you poor techniques, it messes with the best path that the lift should take naturally. In simplified words, training to failure teaches you to fail.

Now, I dunno how well this carries over to bodyweight/light load stuff, it might not apply as much as to heavy weights. You can ask this on the forum, better informed people might know.

Try ladders, I did them for push ups and chinus, they are effective and I enjoy them more than just doing say, push ups to failure.

See, I've heard that about training to failure, but the thing is, I only do the BW stuff once a week...and I've only made gains.... I could see if you did more often, but I don't know.... What I like about training to failure is that it gives me incentive. Say I did x # of dips on week one to failure, then that would give me incentive to do more the next week and so on...and for me, atleast, it really pushes me to go past that barrier that a lot of people don't really cross. Rather than doing a set # of reps, I like to really push it to the limit...no matter how much it burns or how tired I am.... I'm trying not to be hard-headed about this, but I really like the training to failure (once a week, that is). But I will try the ladders eventually. I do think the ladders kinda would make it a little more 'fun'. Thanks for the insight.:)

well, all the theorizing in the world won't make useless what works . If you progress with training to failure, then by all means train this way, when progress stops, it's time to give ladders a try.

FRIDAY:

ROLLING THUNDER superset w/ PINCH GRIP

15-20 sets of single hold attempts with max weight on RT for the first 3 sets, and then the rest of the sets I gradually decreased the weight and increased the time held. I ALMOST got 125lbs...almost...I got it close to a foot off of the ground, but I couldn't lock out. :mad:

superset w/

pinch grip: 5 sets of 10 second holds with 2 25lb plates for each hand. I really need to go up in weight on these...they are getting too easy...next week I 'll try to go up 5-10lbs.

BW STUFF (handstand pushups superset w/ pullups)

1 x 8(almost 9)handstand pushups + 15 pullups
1 x 7 handstand pushups + 10 pullups
1 x 5 handstand pushups + 10 pullups

DUMBBELL COMPLEXES

3 sets of dumbbell complexes w/ 15 reps for each exercise w/ no rest in between exercises.
(using 35lb dumbbells)

set #1.) bentover row x 15 + hammer curls x 15 + close grip bench x 15 + 25 pushups + 25 situps

2 minute rest

set #2.) bentover row x 15 + hammer curls x 8 + close grip bench x 15 + 15 pushups + 25 situps

2 minute rest

set #3.) bentover row x 15 + hammer curls x 8 + close grip bench x 15 + 15 pusups + 25 situps

(the hammer curls I could only get 8 reps on each arm on the second and third set...not because of my biceps...but because my grip was so shot from the RT and pinch grip that I was actually having trouble holding onto the dumbbells ... pathetic)

TIMED BODY HOLDS FOR GRIP

3 sets

Good workoout.:)

Does not matter if you train BW 1 per week. Does not mean you have to go all out. You are teaching your body to fail. You want to teach your body to work hard, but also to last and keep going, going and going. Ladders will do that.

For the complexes I would keep your reps per exercise from 3-5 reps. That way ou can use more weight. Just do more Total sets of the whole circuit..

Duncon76 said:
Does not matter if you train BW 1 per week. Does not mean you have to go all out. You are teaching your body to fail. You want to teach your body to work hard, but also to last and keep going, going and going. Ladders will do that.

For the complexes I would keep your reps per exercise from 3-5 reps. That way ou can use more weight. Just do more Total sets of the whole circuit..

Um, yeah, I'm just not sure about that right now.... I will try ladders one of these days...honestly, I just totally disagree about how training to failure teaches you to fail...it motivates me and drives me to push it to the limit, rather than knowing in advance what I'm shooting for...it keeps me on my toes and pushes me to do my best on each and every set, rather than just letting go when I hit a random/arbitrary number...that's just me, though. I am progressing, though...if the progress stops, then I'll surly try something new like ladders.

I do think that is a good idea though to up the weight and lower the reps on the complexes. I'll try doing more sets like you said, too. I'm gonna try to think of even more exercisese to do during each set.:)

Yesterday I ran 2 miles at a fast pace. Then did some #2 attempts. I'm gettin' close to closing it.

Sunday:

#2 ATTEMPTS

Man! I came closer to closing it than I EVER have. I am less than 1/4 of an inch there, literally. Hopefully I'll close it before the end of the year.

LEVERING

3 sets of all 4 directions with 11.75lbs w/ my RIGHT hand

3 sets of all 4 directions with 9.25 w/ my LEFT hand

This went pretty well...that 11.75lbs is A LOT...I was able to get 3 of the 4 directions, though. I am almost able to do the 9.25lbs with my left hand in ALL 4 directions, so hopefully by next week I'll move up to 10 - 10.5lbs.

Jesus is Lord.

Monday:

Today I ran 2 miles at an alarmingly gay pace because my running partner was being a twang 'cause he was real tired. He is my bud, so I didn't want to brush him off. He usually runs hard with me, but anyway....

Tomorrow will be my first day of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Star Jiu-Jitsu in Carrollton, TX!!!! I'm pumped. Just a little while ago, I thought I wouldn't be wrestling anymore, but Star Jiu-Jitsu does BJJ AND Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling, which is rare to find a place like that. I will be doing that now, but like I said before, the Lord comes first. I'll try to go to 2-3 sessions each week. Good thing is, is that the schedule doesn't conflict with my schedule for church all throughout the week, so I am definitely happy about that. Wish me the best.

Tuesday:

Had my first BJJ class today from 7:00 to 8:30. It was awesome, man. For anyone interested, see my thread in the grappling forum on all the details of my first day of BJJ.:)

It was a pretty good workout. For the last 10 minutes, we did like a non stop routine where we did sprinting intervals, bearcrawls, army crawls, sumersaults, bodyweight squats, pushups, etc. all WITHOUT any rest. It was killer, man. Good workout.

I will try my new superduperificitozibidibobito complex out on Thursday after my Greco-Roman/freestyle wrestling practice with the UTD wrestling team. I'm afeared. :D

Wednesday:

Today I ran 1.5 miles in 8:30 min. and then did some front neck bridges (6 30 second holds) and then some back neck bridges.

I've got wrestling practice with the UTD team tomorrow, and then I'll do my complexes afterwards. *eek*

Thursday:

Well, only 1 guy from the UTD wrestling team showed up yesterday, so that stunk. I was looking foward to getting some good practice in for wrestling, but I guess I'll just have to wait until next week. I went to the gym at 8:00.

5 sets of my Super-Duper-Ific-Bibidi-Bob-Ito-Tastic Complexes, which are:

(1 minute rest in between each full complex)

Rolling Thunder grip work
+
Handstand pushups to failure (8,6,4,3,4)
+
Hang Cleans (115lbs x 8)
+
Bent-Over Rows (135 x 8)
+
30 situps
+
Pullups to failure
+
15 Pushups
+
Pinch grip (2 25lbs plates)

Duncon76 said:
Where are the 1 legged squats Or Jump squats :)))

Hmmmm...good call. I don't know if I can do pistols/one-legged squats... I shall try to add one of the two ... or both. Thanks. :)

I did some #2 attempts. Meh...went ok.

Then I did some Rolling Thunder work and hit a PR!!!! on my right hand. I finally pulled 125lbs on the RT with my good ol' right hand, so I AM making progress!

Then I went to the gym and did the 30 seconds normal pace/30 seconds as-fast-as-I-can-go pace for 10 minutes straight on the stationary bike (level 10), no rest in between. I'm trying to work my way back up to doing 20 minutes of that non-stop, which is very tough. It's been a while since I've even done this...I'm feeling pretty pathetic about stopping at 10 minutes...I just wasn't in it today, even though I somehow got a PR on the Rolling Thunder.

Even though I pooped out on the bike (I could've done more...I just quit, though), I am glad I got off of my butt and even went to the gym to do the sprinting intervals in the first place...that in itself took a bit of effort. Next time I try the sprinting intervals on the bike I'll shoot for 15 minutes.

Congrats on the New PR. I just hit one too, last week. Nothing feels better..:))

Duncon76 said:
Congrats on the New PR. I just hit one too, last week. Nothing feels better..:))

Heyyy, thanks man. I'm glad I'm making progress on that thing. I gotta tell ya...ever since starting the Rolling Thunder...holding onto other people's wrists/ankles is like nothing, man. It has been real beneficial in my ability to control others by their own wrists and ankles (pinch grip and CoC grippers have been, too). No one has been able to escape from my grip so far in grappling (even the big guys) until I let them, which is a nice lil' advantage...

Back