Green Bay Packers 2019-2020: Touchdown Jesus

Have you accepted Touchdown Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

• Total voters
Packers great and Pro Football Hall of Famer, Willie Wood dies at age 83.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...llie-wood-spent-entire-career-packers-dies-83

Lombardi once said, "Pound for pound, Willie was the best tackler in the game."

I was fortunate enough to meet him and other Packers of the day as they toured Wisconsin in the off season. He told how after not being drafted out of college after being a quarterback, he wrote letters to NFL teams requesting a tryout and Vince Lombardi was one of few that answered. It was claimed that Wood won Lombardi over when Vince saw him spiking a football over the crossbar. As he did with several great players, Lombardi convinced him that his talents could be used best on defense. Herb Adderley was another player that was an offensive player in college who was switched to defense out of necessity that turned into one of the greats in the game. I don't think this is done enough in the game today.

Players drafted after Josh Jackson:

Christian Kirk
Dallas Goedert
PJ Hall
Michael Gallup
DJ Chark
Lorenzo Carter

Y'all can verify that I called it that this guy was dog shit. But, to be fair, the other cornerback that I liked, Isaiah Oliver, also sucks apparently.

Players drafted after Josh Jackson:

Christian Kirk
Dallas Goedert
PJ Hall
Michael Gallup
DJ Chark
Lorenzo Carter

Y'all can verify that I called it that this guy was dog shit. But, to be fair, the other cornerback that I liked, Isaiah Oliver, also sucks apparently.

Ugh, I thought Gute was on fire with that draft. Getting the Saints 2019 first rounder and two of the top 5 corners in that draft. Maybe Jackson makes a leap in 2020? Probably not though.

Looked into next seasons and the seasons (21, 22 etc.) after cap situation on Sunday (was hungover so I had nothing else to do lol). Rodgers has a very low cap hit in the 2020 season, but like mentioned before there is still not that much space left even after cutting Graham and Lane Taylor. After next season you have to give Bakh a new deal and Linsley would need a new deal, too, which he most certainly won't get.

So long story short, cutting Linsley right now would save 8,5 million in cap space for 2020 and he most likely won't be a Packer after next season anyway. They would be able to sign Bulaga and still have enough cap space to make 2 decent signings in free agency, or one big one. But there is also the risk that the targeted free agents won't sign for the Packers and his replacements (likely Patrick + late rounder) bust.

Do you take the risk to be able to sign Bulaga and make a splash in free agency, or keep Linsley and probably have to rely heavily on the draft to fill al the holes?

Looked into next seasons and the seasons (21, 22 etc.) after cap situation on Sunday (was hungover so I had nothing else to do lol). Rodgers has a very low cap hit in the 2020 season, but like mentioned before there is still not that much space left even after cutting Graham and Lane Taylor. After next season you have to give Bakh a new deal and Linsley would need a new deal, too, which he most certainly won't get.

So long story short, cutting Linsley right now would save 8,5 million in cap space for 2020 and he most likely won't be a Packer after next season anyway. They would be able to sign Bulaga and still have enough cap space to make 2 decent signings in free agency, or one big one. But there is also the risk that the targeted free agents won't sign for the Packers and his replacements (likely Patrick + late rounder) bust.

Do you take the risk to be able to sign Bulaga and make a splash in free agency, or keep Linsley and probably have to rely heavily on the draft to fill al the holes?

Linsley should be cut to try and retain Bulaga. His low snaps with him under center has irked me since 2016.

OBJ-Edit.png

There's your one big FA signing. Cap hits for the next 4 years would be $14.25 million, $15.75 million, $15 million, and $15 million, respectively. Your pass catchers are set for the rest of Rodgers window. Davante, OBJ, and Aaron Jones are your playmakers. One of Lazard or EQ is your James Jones type number 3. If Sternberger blossoms from the flashes we saw in 2019; that makes this offense even more deadly.

Draft ILB, and maybe even double dip on DL early depending on what's to be had. Keke Kingsley could be a stud, but who knows right now.

I really think he can. This isn't an Antonio Brown type of nutcase. Odell is a passionate guy that wants to win football games. And it's not like Rodgers won't get him the ball and have him throwing tantrums on the sidelines. Both he and Rodgers would have career years together if he came to GB.

I'd potentially put my account up to be deleted if Odell came over, acted a fool and didn't produce.

I really think he can. This isn't an Antonio Brown type of nutcase. Odell is a passionate guy that wants to win football games. And it's not like Rodgers won't get him the ball and have him throwing tantrums on the sidelines. Both he and Rodgers would have career years together if he came to GB.

I'd potentially put my account up to be deleted if Odell came over, acted a fool and didn't produce.
Will Gute even try to do it and what would they have to give up tho?

Will Gute even try to do it and what would they have to give up tho?

Gute was ready to get Mack, and would have; if not for the Raiders wanting the Bears draft picks.

I'd say he'd have to offer a first and fourth round pick, or a first and a player.

And I know this is from last year, buuuuuut:

Gute was ready to get Mack, and would have; if not for the Raiders wanting the Bears draft picks.

I'd say he'd have to offer a first and fourth round pick, or a first and a player.

And I know this is from last year, buuuuuut:

Mack also plays at a position which is considered to be premium, I'm not sure if Gute feels the same way about a WR, even if it is one of the best to do it. At the same time, the Packers need some more game changers on both sides of the field, not many, but they are just short of 2-3 to really compete and Davante + OBJ would be filthy. I'm just not sure if they would have the draft capital and money to get much needed help on other positions if they trade for OBJ.

But it's hard to speculate right now, some FA will sign new deals and some players will be cut in the next few months. I trust Gute to have urgency during the Rodgers 3-4 year window but not go full retard at the same time. Can't wait for the offseason. :D

BTW: The more I think about it, Linsley has to be cut. Wonder if they will really do it.

Offseason plan:

1. Cut Jimmy Graham ($3m dead cap / $8m freed up)
2. Cut Josh Jackson ($1.3m dead cap / $0.4m freed up)
3. Cut MVS ($0.1m dead cap / $0.6m freed up)
4. Keep Lane Taylor ($5.5m cap hit)

$32 million in available cap space

5. Resign Bryan Bulaga ($10m first-year cap hit)
6. Extend Kenny Clark
7. Resign Mason Crosby ($3m first-year cap hit)
8. Resign Allen Lazard ($1m cap hit)
9. Resign Jared Veldheer ($3m first-year cap hit)

$15 million in available post-resigning cap space

10. Sign Emmanuel Sanders ($6m first-year cap hit)

$9 million in remaining cap space

11. Sign one of following:
Josh Bynes (ILB), Nick Kwiatoski (ILB), Danny Trevathan (ILB)
Andrew Billings (NT), Timmy Jernigan (DT), Jarran Reed (DT)

12. Draft ILB and WR in Rounds 1 & 2

13. Win Super Bowl

Offseason plan:

1. Cut Jimmy Graham ($3m dead cap / $8m freed up)
2. Cut Josh Jackson ($1.3m dead cap / $0.4m freed up)
3. Cut MVS ($0.1m dead cap / $0.6m freed up)
4. Keep Lane Taylor ($5.5m cap hit)

$32 million in available cap space

5. Resign Bryan Bulaga ($10m first-year cap hit)
6. Extend Kenny Clark
7. Resign Mason Crosby ($3m first-year cap hit)
8. Resign Allen Lazard ($1m cap hit)
9. Resign Jared Veldheer ($3m first-year cap hit)

$15 million in available post-resigning cap space

10. Sign Emmanuel Sanders ($6m first-year cap hit)

$9 million in remaining cap space

11. Sign one of following:
Josh Bynes (ILB), Nick Kwiatoski (ILB), Danny Trevathan (ILB)
Andrew Billings (NT), Timmy Jernigan (DT), Jarran Reed (DT)

12. Draft ILB and WR in Rounds 1 & 2

13. Win Super Bowl

After I saw cut Jimmy Graham I didn't need to ready any further to be pleased, lol.

But for real, I could live with the majority of this. Although I'd rather Robbie Anderson than Sanders, since he will be another year older. I'd also want to keep Josh Jackson. 2020 is his make it or break it year. I wouldn't be surprised if King got hurt and he stepped in and balled out. Then Gute lets King test FA in 2021.

Really hope he gets another chance next season. He looked real good down the stretch last year. Basically a better version of Allen Lazard.

Really hope he gets another chance next season. He looked real good down the stretch last year. Basically a better version of Allen Lazard.

As long as Gute gets a legit number 2; I'd be more than fine with EQ and Lazard being number 3 and 4.

Back