Social Favorite Dog Breed?

Have fostered, adopted, transported and volunteered with a lot of dogs in my life time. Always loved English retrievers and boerboels but I have to say dorkies are my overall fav. (dachshunds mixed with Yorkie)

Rottweiler
rottweiler-hq-misbehaving.jpg

Staffordshire bull terrier
Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier_2019-08-29T203330.jpg

Pyrenean Mountain Dog
cara%20at%20stalker%202.jpg

All the best.

i'm not much of a pet person, but my parents have a golden retriever, and it's one of the sweetest breed of dogs you could come across.

And not in a needy whiny way, but they just have a profound sense of duty to be with me unlike even my German Shepherd did. The story of Hachi is not an exaggeration. The Akita truly bonds with you in a way that is rarely matched.

I can attest to this.

A few years after my brother and I were out of the house, my mom got an Akita after the rescue dog we grew up with passed away (awesome pit/lab mix) and that big goofy ass Akita was so loyal to my mom it was ridiculous. He'd snarl and pounce on any cat or dog that came within 5 feet of my mom when they were out on their walk. Every year I'd come home for Xmas and he would snarl at me for the first hour or so until he got used to me again and trusted me being close to my mom LOL. He'd also sit under the table next to my mom and follow her around the house (this was adorable). My mother loved that dog more than anything and had a portrait of him hanging on the wall next to pics of my brother and me LMAO. Every night she'd cook a special dinner for him on the stove (soup bone broth poured over his dog food). That akita thought he was my mom's adopted son and the feeling was mutual.

My favourite is the Newfoundlander but I have a half-Labrador retriever, half-golden retriever who is pretty awesome.

huskies have the absolute best personalities out of any dog breed on earth making them the best however they're a fucking handful and i dont recommend them for new owners or lazy ass owners.

Norwich terriers. They’re smart. They’re sweet. They’re obedient and loyal. My wife had one when we first met. She lived for 8 more years. She was by far the best dog I have ever had.
upload_2021-10-6_23-53-6.jpeg

I've always been partial to shepherd and mastiff types. Took me a long time to warm up to bullies but when my wife and I got together, I was able to see how smart (and yet dopey as hell) her pit/lab mix was.

My last two dogs have been Australian Shepherds. With the bob tail. Looks like this. My guy is about 65 lbs. Great dogs. He loves to run and catch a frisbee, but his favourite thing is swimming. My current one is pretty alpha. Loves people but not other dogs. My other one thought it was a human. A real gentle soul. He was raised with a German shepherd, so he liked other dogs. They are working dogs so give them exercise and little tasks to do so they don't get bored. They are smart and easy to train. They can also be stubborn in some ways like a Husky.

978618b6f76fb936c34072333c9966aa.jpg

Redtriaussie01.jpg

Husky Collie mix, like my doge.

You pointed out a massive character flaw. There exist other breeds that are large, confident, protector type dogs. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't at least try them out instead of deciding the best breed is one that won't even behave in public.

I have an akita that never misbehaves in public. By nature people have the perception a large dog is intimidating so they will never accept a larger dog or allow one to fit in though. I don't care either way. My akita is very territorial like other dogs can be, this type of dog tends to be independent.

Back