• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Favorite Dog Breed?

What is your favorite dog breed and why?

For me, it is the American Akita. There are many reasons for this.

1. I love BIG dogs and the Akita is certainly big.

2. I love the wolf-like look, opposed to the floppy eared Labrador look. This puts them above other dog breeds that would fit many of my other desires in a dog. It puts them over Rots, Mastiffs, etc that also check a lot of boxes for me.

3. I love dogs that have a great look that gets a lot of attention and the Akita is certainly among the dogs with the best look, IMO. Anywhere I take mine I get swarmed with admirers.

4. I love guardian dogs. To me, I don't just want a pet, I want a dog that has a job and that job is to protect the house and family. The Akita certainly will do this and do it well. I'd be severely disappointed in a dog that does not protect its pack, to the point of considering it near useless.

5. I admire strength and have little patience for weakness. This is primarily how I feel about humans, but it carries over to dogs. Self confidence is such an important thing to have and I like to be around people that have it far more than I do those who don't. Akitas have a very strong sense of themselves and won't typically tolerate disrespect or abuse. This is how I raise my daughters to be and so I love a dog that is the same way. I wouldn't respect a human that tolerates disrespect and I wouldn't respect a dog that does as well. The Akita won't put up with abuse and I admire that.

6. I give respect to anything that can match the bite to the bark. Be it people or dogs, those that are all bark and no bite don't have my respect, but the Akita certainly does have a bite to match their bark. To me, this means they are real and are not phony or performative like some loud little yapping dogs that flee as you approach.

7. There are dogs that love everyone. There are dogs that love no one. There are dogs that just love their family and won't let just anyone be their family. The latter is the Akita. Some people want a dog that loves everyone and that's great... but for me, if a dog loves the family and views anyone else outside of the family as secondary, that is a dog that gives you a love that feels more genuine. If a dog loves everyone I wouldn't feel special to that dog. It would seem to me as if they could go to another family and be just as content with them as they are with me, immediately. For an Akita, you are their world and everyone else is an outsider. That makes their connection feel more genuine to me. As a result their affection means more to me than a "love everyone" dog.

These are seven things that I want in a dog, and the Akita is all of them.

That doesn't mean they are perfect. I wish they were a little less dog aggressive so I could enjoy taking them to the dog park, but I can't. Despite all of the socialization I did with them from puppyhood and all of the times I took them to the dog park, as they got older their dog tolerance just diminished to almost nil as their dominant personality grew.
I wish they listened a bit more. Mine listen pretty well... for Akitas. But they don't mind like a German Shepherd would, which is part of the trade off you get with having a strong minded self respecting dog.
The shedding sucks as well, but that comes with the wolf-like look that I love.

But overall, for me it is Akitas for life.

You?

View attachment 882996

Have you actually tried any other breeds? Seems like you could find another dog that fits that criteria without that massive character flaw.

Have you actually tried any other breeds? Seems like you could find another dog that fits that criteria without that massive character flaw.

It's a flaw I can manage. They get along with dogs they know, such as our neighbor dogs. It's with new dogs they're a worry.

I've done a lot of work to socialize them. I can take them for walks on trails and pass other dogs and they're fine. They respect my leadership and let me handle those situations. What I can't do it take them to a dog park and let them run loose. They will try to assert their dominance in that situation and that will lead to fights. So I just don't go to dog parks.

It's a flaw I can manage. They get along with dogs they know, such as our neighbor dogs. It's with new dogs they're a worry.

I've done a lot of work to socialize them. I can take them for walks on trails and pass other dogs and they're fine. They respect my leadership and let me handle those situations. What I can't do it take them to a dog park and let them run loose. They will try to assert their dominance in that situation and that will lead to fights. So I just don't go to dog parks.

Why not try another breed where you won't have to deal with that problem? Maybe your love for Akiras will waver once you experience something else.

Because of the 7 things I posted originally.

Do you have a personal dislike of Akitas?

You pointed out a massive character flaw. There exist other breeds that are large, confident, protector type dogs. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't at least try them out instead of deciding the best breed is one that won't even behave in public.

Some little dogs can be cool, but to me they can't perform jobs that I want a dog to be able to perform, such as protection.

I'd never want to be in a situation where I need my dog to back me up and then look to my right and see a anklebiter. I'd be like, "Fuck my life...".

I'd rather look to my right when in a jam and see a fearsome beast at my side.

I'm like you. I need a dog that's capable of something.

In general, I'm an easy going, nice guy, but when it comes to some dog breeds and the people that choose them, I'm a judgemental, elitist, dick.

To me there are dogs, then there are the canine living stuffed animals. I'm great to all dogs on an individual basis,, but whenever I see people own and fawn over breeds born with inherent disabilities so that they are so ugly, they are cute or ones that only exist because they are "cute", my mindset is a mix of

<{clintugh}> and <DisgustingHHH>

You pointed out a massive character flaw. There exist other breeds that are large, confident, protector type dogs. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't at least try them out instead of deciding the best breed is one that won't even behave in public.

No dog is flawless. When I got the Akita I thought this particular flaw was one I could train out of them but it turns out that the best I could do is minimize it.

I don't NEED to go to the dog park, so it's not a massive flaw to me. Besides, of all of the dogs I've ever owned I've never owned dogs that are this loyal and attached to me. And not in a needy whiny way, but they just have a profound sense of duty to be with me unlike even my German Shepherd did. The story of Hachi is not an exaggeration. The Akita truly bonds with you in a way that is rarely matched.

Plus, with a guarding breed I favor power in the breed and my Akitas - particularly the male - is so much more of a... presence. It's just a completely different feel when my Akita walks into a room compared to when I had my GSD - who was wonderful by the way. Big too, he was a 95 lbs GSD. But the Akita is different. The best way I can describe it is if you're in a room and a armed police officer enters the room.

They are also VERY CALM dogs, they rarely ever bark, they groom themselves like cats and stay clean, they don't smell. There are just so many things about the Akita which is awesome. It also taught me how to be a better dog owner, owning a strong independent breed like this.

My old German Shepherd:

20191127_184027.jpg

And my and my brother's Akitas:

FB_IMG_1613331375943.jpg

In general, I'm an easy going, nice guy, but when it comes to some dog breeds and the people that choose them, I'm a judgemental, elitist, dick.

To me there are dogs, then there are the canine living stuffed animals. I'm great to all dogs on an individual basis,, but whenever I see people own and fawn over breeds born with inherent disabilities so that they are so ugly, they are cute or ones that only exist because they are "cute", my mindset is a mix of

On an episode of the Dog Whisperer a lady called those purse dogs "Designer Rats". I LOL'd.

I also used to have an Alaskan Malamute. He was cool but he kept getting loose and killing our neighbors ducks. We had to get rid of him because the neighbor threatened to shoot him and he was such a good escape artist there was a good chance that could have happened to him.

Screenshot_20211004-201612_Gallery.jpg

Boxers are great dogs. I think this one ruined the breed for me though. I don't think I'll ever get one that will stack up to him.
97425386_10218948992450373_2963983418032914432_n.jpg

German Shepherd for me. The American Akita is a great pick as well, though. Their temperament isn't dissimilar from a GSD except that they are a little more solitary and have a little less drive for training. Both breeds are top notch imo.

I've owned a Golden and 3 pit-mixes from rescues over my years. Fostered 6 "bully breed" dogs while I was at college. Got them them all into good homes. Working ahh erhm 'game' pits have to be my favorite. Those dogs in the 35-45lb range. Not for their fighting ability (not into that. I love dogs), but overall conformation. Pits are like any other dog breed, there's lovers and there's weirdos. I like females more than males. Seem to be less aloof. Speaking of athletic champions, my brother-in-law has two working springer spaniels that might be the most athletic dogs I've ever seen. Probably 30lbs soaking wet, but they go and go and go out in the field and it is an absolute joy watching them just move around. Especially when they're birdy. Even if I can't be assed hunting, I'll still grab the shotty and get out there if he asks me if I want to go. Watching those dogs is something special.
However, I've been following this guy and what he's been doing, trying to breed the ultimate "bandog" for maybe 10 years now. He's upped his prices in the past year or so, but I think these are the best dogs between the 85 - 120 lb range. Unfortunately the next dog of mine that will pass (next 6 months, old fella is 15) is a male, and I really wanted a female of his, but as my remaining dog is a female will have to be a male as two dogs of the same sex can be trouble. URL: https://americanbandog.com/
American K9 Sentinel.
Otherwise going to go small and look into a small working terrier like these: https://m.facebook.com/OneOfOneKennels/
Patterdale Terriers. 15lb of pure hunt!

Cute, but terrible taste when it come to picking a football team....
Been a rough go this year, but being born and raised in Pittsburgh I stay loyal. Could be worse I could've been born a Browns, Raiders, Lions, or Jets fan. I'm confident we will right the ship, we aren't one of the greatest franchises of all time for nothing.

You're the guy who likes Kuvaszok, right? Any livestock guardian is a capable pup. But definitely not for everyone.

And yeah, I'm not much for accessory breeds or ones that have been bred as foot warmers exclusively.

- guy with a Pomeranian currently.o_O

Back