• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Favorite Dog Breed?

Boxers are great dogs. I think this one ruined the breed for me though. I don't think I'll ever get one that will stack up to him.
97425386_10218948992450373_2963983418032914432_n.jpg
I can never have another Pug or Golden Retriever for the same reason.

It's a flaw I can manage. They get along with dogs they know, such as our neighbor dogs. It's with new dogs they're a worry.

I've done a lot of work to socialize them. I can take them for walks on trails and pass other dogs and they're fine. They respect my leadership and let me handle those situations. What I can't do it take them to a dog park and let them run loose. They will try to assert their dominance in that situation and that will lead to fights. So I just don't go to dog parks.
Growing up I had Golden Retriever who was viciously attacked by an Akita at the dog park, he had 3 drainage tubes to drain out the puss that was coming out as a result of the attack for a month. Same dog was also attacked by a Chow. Pitbulls get the bad rap because of loser owners trying to prove their manhood through a dog, but those two are some of the worst..add Rhodesian Ridgebacks to that group. Why would you want a dog you can't take to the park or beach without worrying about it mauling another dog? Just curious.

We had yorkies growing up when I was a kid, great dogs! They bark a lot and take their watch dog duties seriously but man they were smart, loving and playful.

I would like to get a beagle or a blue heeler but I live in an apartment so those are both not very good options right now lol

BTW anyone who “hates small dogs” and feels the need to tell people that any time the opportunity presents itself, just know that I want to punch u in the throat

Been a rough go this year, but being born and raised in Pittsburgh I stay loyal. Could be worse I could've been born a Browns, Raiders, Lions, or Jets fan. I'm confident we will right the ship, we aren't one of the greatest franchises of all time for nothing.

You'll get Rodgers next year and it'll all be worth it.

Growing up I had Golden Retriever who was viciously attacked by an Akita at the dog park, he had 3 drainage tubes to drain out the puss that was coming out as a result of the attack for a month. Same dog was also attacked by a Chow. Pitbulls get the bad rap because of loser owners trying to prove their manhood through a dog, but those two are some of the worst..add Rhodesian Ridgebacks to that group. Why would you want a dog you can't take to the park or beach without worrying about it mauling another dog? Just curious.

So the impression you're getting doesn't seem to be quite right. My male Akita Kinjo doesn't walk around frothing at the mouth hoping to take out the next dog he sees. He doesn't walk around with a bad attitude. In fact, he is an utter sweetheart at home. He rubs against me like a cat when he walks by me. He whines at my door for me when my alarm goes off.

Even around other dogs, he doesn't just see a dog and start growling and pulling to get at it. Hell, last night I took him for a walk at a dog park down the street. There is the open dog park that's fenced in and dogs run off leash and there are trails that circle the fenced in area. I took Kinjo on the trails for a walk.

On the walk we passed many dogs. He keeps an eye on them as we pass, and may even walk towards them to try and catch a wiff, but that's it. We passed a super interested German Shepherd Dog that really wanted to check Kinjo out and I kept him straight with just a couple corrections. We passed within 4 feet of them.

When we walked by the fenced in area the dogs all ran to the fence to check out Kinjo. I let him go sniff at them and them sniff at him. Mostly went fine except Kinjo lifting his leg to pee on the fence between them (dominance). A pitbull didn't like Kinjo and got right up to Kinjo's face and was growling and trying to bite at him. It was biting biting fence between them and growling. Kinjo didn't make a noise or move away, he just stayed right in the Pitt face sniffing it, acting like it wasn't doing what it was doing. He didn't growl or lunge or anything. He seemed almost bored.

So it's not as if he just goes around trying to start trouble. Part of the issue is that the Akita exudes dominance in it's body language. An upright tail and perked forward facing ears is dominant body language in dogs and that is the Akitas natural stance. Plus, the breed is very confident. This often will immediately cause any other dominant minded dogs in the area to want to challenge the Akita.

It isn't always other dogs though, and this is what you're alluding to. For example, Kinjo has started shit with other dogs for what seems to me to be no reason. But then again, maybe there was a reason - some communication that I didn't read - that transpired between them that caused the problem but looked to my uneducated mind as if Kinjo started it. Could be, don't know.

What I do know is that he has growled at dogs in their faces at times. Not all dogs, certain dogs. I'm not sure how he chooses them or if they choose him. But I've seen him go straight up to a dog and get eyeball to eyeball and growl. One time he even bit a German Shepherd male that was playing with a female. That was when I stopped taking him in. But it's not like it's every dog. He doesn't walk around looking to fight, he usually would play fine for an hour but then after that it's like the dog park area became his and he was now being territorial, particularly to males.

This is him at the dog park back in January when he was 10 months old:

So here is an example of Akita dominance and an Akita demanding respect from other dogs. I, like most people, saw this and thought that the Akita was being a huge asshole. However, I wanted to understand WHY it was behaving like this. So I sent this short clip to a respected Dog Behavioralist and asked them what happened here. Her response was actually surprising. This is someone with decades of experience in dog behavior and who runs a successful business in dog training and rehabilitation. She and her husband understand dogs to a high level and you can see that by observing their YouTube Channel. Most people don't understand dog behavior and draw incorrect conclusions all of the time about it.

Well, here is what she had to say about this video:

"I was able to watch the 'Akita vs wolf dog' video and here is my take:

That wolf dog is very insecure. Body language is submissive and fearful, yet the action is dominant because she's invading the akita's space and getting in his face. The akita is not being aggressive at all. That's just communication (a correction), BUT, since he's an akita, that communication looks like aggression. To be fair, the correction is over the top, but I believe this is a result of the akita being understimulated (but that's just an assumption I make based on the dog's environment).

The biggest indicator that this was purely communication is the akita's tail. Yes, it looks raised because of the natural curl, but you must focus on the base - not the tip or curve of the tail. Although this angle is not the best, that akita's tail is level. Were he in a dominant state (aggression only occurs in a dominant or fearful state), the base of his tail would not be visible from the current angle.

Breakdown (I recommend watching with a playback speed of 0.25) :

Akita's first warning is at 0:13, his ears move forward and he gives eye contact. This is in response to the wolf dog licking and getting in his face (especially in her state of mind).

He follows through with his stare and the wolfdog sits in limbo until 0:15, when she licks his face again (with a paw up - anxiety and/or excitement indicator).

Akita's ears move forward again at 0:16 and he gives a visual warning with the tense snarl.

Within that same 0:16 the visual warning shifts to a physical correction. You also see the tail move away from the back, had this been aggression his tail would have been laying over his back.

He backs away at 0:17, ears facing outward which is a neutral state.

The wolf dog persists and the akita avoids until 0:22 when he snarls once more.

The wolf dog responds by lifting a paw into the akita's face at 0:23

Akita responds accordingly with a touch correction at 0:24

Wolf dog still doesn't submit and the akita follows through with assertive body language until 0:28.

The wolf dog seemingly submits and the akita backs away, but the wolf dog once again licks and paws his face at 0:29-0:30, akita responds accordingly with the snarl - however his ears are sideways, he's not going to touch correct this time.
His ears shift forward at 0:32, but his tail is confident - NOT dominant. (again, not the best angle)

Akita follows through with same body language as 0:32 at 0:34 the moment the wolf dog looks at him again.
Wolf dog struggles to submit until 0:39, and even then it continues to be a struggle.
Akita yawns at 0:48, in this instance it is to relieve stress and/or tension.

The wolfdog was the instigator, even though he appeared submissive. He invaded the akita's space first."

We had yorkies growing up when I was a kid, great dogs! They bark a lot and take their watch dog duties seriously but man they were smart, loving and playful.

I would like to get a beagle or a blue heeler but I live in an apartment so those are both not very good options right now lol

BTW anyone who “hates small dogs” and feels the need to tell people that any time the opportunity presents itself, just know that I want to punch u in the throat

You like designer rats? Awww. How cute. Even little mongrels deserve SOMEONE who will like them.

JOKING! LOL! ;)

Pitbulls, I like strong and athletic dogs. I also like their faces and shape of their heads. Best dog I ever had was a pitbull too

I think if I were to get a different breed I'd go Dogo Argentino. They are 100 lbs dogs that resemble Pit a bit.
Pitbulls are cuter though, they come in different colors and are more friendly and playful. Plus I've read that dogo argentinos are not very obedient either. And pitbulls are also more athletic and stronger than dogo argentinos p4p

What is your favorite dog breed and why?

For me, it is the American Akita. There are many reasons for this.

1. I love BIG dogs and the Akita is certainly big.

2. I love the wolf-like look, opposed to the floppy eared Labrador look. This puts them above other dog breeds that would fit many of my other desires in a dog. It puts them over Rots, Mastiffs, etc that also check a lot of boxes for me.

3. I love dogs that have a great look that gets a lot of attention and the Akita is certainly among the dogs with the best look, IMO. Anywhere I take mine I get swarmed with admirers.

4. I love guardian dogs. To me, I don't just want a pet, I want a dog that has a job and that job is to protect the house and family. The Akita certainly will do this and do it well. I'd be severely disappointed in a dog that does not protect its pack, to the point of considering it near useless.

5. I admire strength and have little patience for weakness. This is primarily how I feel about humans, but it carries over to dogs. Self confidence is such an important thing to have and I like to be around people that have it far more than I do those who don't. Akitas have a very strong sense of themselves and won't typically tolerate disrespect or abuse. This is how I raise my daughters to be and so I love a dog that is the same way. I wouldn't respect a human that tolerates disrespect and I wouldn't respect a dog that does as well. The Akita won't put up with abuse and I admire that.

6. I give respect to anything that can match the bite to the bark. Be it people or dogs, those that are all bark and no bite don't have my respect, but the Akita certainly does have a bite to match their bark. To me, this means they are real and are not phony or performative like some loud little yapping dogs that flee as you approach.

7. There are dogs that love everyone. There are dogs that love no one. There are dogs that just love their family and won't let just anyone be their family. The latter is the Akita. Some people want a dog that loves everyone and that's great... but for me, if a dog loves the family and views anyone else outside of the family as secondary, that is a dog that gives you a love that feels more genuine. If a dog loves everyone I wouldn't feel special to that dog. It would seem to me as if they could go to another family and be just as content with them as they are with me, immediately. For an Akita, you are their world and everyone else is an outsider. That makes their connection feel more genuine to me. As a result their affection means more to me than a "love everyone" dog.

These are seven things that I want in a dog, and the Akita is all of them.

That doesn't mean they are perfect. I wish they were a little less dog aggressive so I could enjoy taking them to the dog park, but I can't. Despite all of the socialization I did with them from puppyhood and all of the times I took them to the dog park, as they got older their dog tolerance just diminished to almost nil as their dominant personality grew.
I wish they listened a bit more. Mine listen pretty well... for Akitas. But they don't mind like a German Shepherd would, which is part of the trade off you get with having a strong minded self respecting dog.
The shedding sucks as well, but that comes with the wolf-like look that I love.

But overall, for me it is Akitas for life.

You?

View attachment 882996
English Coker Spaniels for me
English-Cocker-Spaniel-9.jpg

Pitbulls are cuter though, they come in different colors and are more friendly and playful. Plus I've read that dogo argentinos are not very obedient either. And pitbulls are also more athletic and stronger than dogo argentinos p4p

Aren’t they completely white also? Seems to asking for skin issues.

Pits are too small for my tastes. I like Pits, just not for me.

Back