• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Favorite Dog Breed?

I grew up with two Brittanies. Smart and surprisingly lazy for a working breed. This is what they look like for the unfamiliar (not my dog):
Brittany-in-profile-outdoors.jpg

y5jjidfSy5SKmTqM9
What is your favorite dog breed and why?

For me, it is the American Akita. There are many reasons for this.

1. I love BIG dogs and the Akita is certainly big.

2. I love the wolf-like look, opposed to the floppy eared Labrador look. This puts them above other dog breeds that would fit many of my other desires in a dog. It puts them over Rots, Mastiffs, etc that also check a lot of boxes for me.

3. I love dogs that have a great look that gets a lot of attention and the Akita is certainly among the dogs with the best look, IMO. Anywhere I take mine I get swarmed with admirers.

4. I love guardian dogs. To me, I don't just want a pet, I want a dog that has a job and that job is to protect the house and family. The Akita certainly will do this and do it well. I'd be severely disappointed in a dog that does not protect its pack, to the point of considering it near useless.

5. I admire strength and have little patience for weakness. This is primarily how I feel about humans, but it carries over to dogs. Self confidence is such an important thing to have and I like to be around people that have it far more than I do those who don't. Akitas have a very strong sense of themselves and won't typically tolerate disrespect or abuse. This is how I raise my daughters to be and so I love a dog that is the same way. I wouldn't respect a human that tolerates disrespect and I wouldn't respect a dog that does as well. The Akita won't put up with abuse and I admire that.

6. I give respect to anything that can match the bite to the bark. Be it people or dogs, those that are all bark and no bite don't have my respect, but the Akita certainly does have a bite to match their bark. To me, this means they are real and are not phony or performative like some loud little yapping dogs that flee as you approach.

7. There are dogs that love everyone. There are dogs that love no one. There are dogs that just love their family and won't let just anyone be their family. The latter is the Akita. Some people want a dog that loves everyone and that's great... but for me, if a dog loves the family and views anyone else outside of the family as secondary, that is a dog that gives you a love that feels more genuine. If a dog loves everyone I wouldn't feel special to that dog. It would seem to me as if they could go to another family and be just as content with them as they are with me, immediately. For an Akita, you are their world and everyone else is an outsider. That makes their connection feel more genuine to me. As a result their affection means more to me than a "love everyone" dog.

These are seven things that I want in a dog, and the Akita is all of them.

That doesn't mean they are perfect. I wish they were a little less dog aggressive so I could enjoy taking them to the dog park, but I can't. Despite all of the socialization I did with them from puppyhood and all of the times I took them to the dog park, as they got older their dog tolerance just diminished to almost nil as their dominant personality grew.
I wish they listened a bit more. Mine listen pretty well... for Akitas. But they don't mind like a German Shepherd would, which is part of the trade off you get with having a strong minded self respecting dog.
The shedding sucks as well, but that comes with the wolf-like look that I love.

But overall, for me it is Akitas for life.

You?

View attachment 882996
Staffordshire bull terriers. Anyone that disagrees can take it up with John Wick.
upload_2021-10-25_18-56-35.jpeg

Just googled American Akita, what the fook. I think the original Japanese versions are more attractive. The Amerivan version is abit of a confused messed, like it can't figure out if it's a cane corso, akita, or German shepherd.

I have a Labrador and a shar pei. I think the Labrador may be the most beautiful dog objectively. They have a wide snout and head, beautiful eyes, and soft ears.

But they are so common that they don't exactly get much attention. Everyone looks at the shar per though. She is a proper Chinese shar per, the American line of pei's are a cluster fuck of inbreeding and should be avoided. They are full of health issues.

I am considering getting a Weimaraner, they have an English version and.an American version and probably going to get the American as they are much more beautiful. There is nothing quite like the colour tones of a Weiramaners coat.

You pointed out a massive character flaw. There exist other breeds that are large, confident, protector type dogs. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't at least try them out instead of deciding the best breed is one that won't even behave in public.
It's the same reason people pick huskies... they look cool.

There's something about that spitz look that makes them seem more wild animal than dog and people like to self identify with and project that image into the world. You get that beast master feeling and that instant wow factor from dogs like that and the owners want that energy flowing in their direction.

I’ve got a chocolate lab, so that’s my favorite type of dog, but I’ve really liked the Great Danes and Bernese mountain dogs I’ve known as well. Can’t think of any breeds that I don’t like though.

There are too many. I like shar pei but they come in a lot of variety. A lot of them are more from the American genepool. They have been mixed with mastiffs and bred for maximum wrinkles. Theyre also often inbred because it takes a lot of effort to make sure they stay as wrinkly with each passing generation.

Meat-Mouth: more wrinkly, more inbred, genes from the American Shar Pei are more present.
Shar-Pei.jpg

There are very few true chinese shar pei left but there are a lot of litters that resemble these dogs closely. Some are sort of in-between and others look very similar to true original bone-mouth shar pei. But they are still technically from the American line.

In-between, i think theyre some of the most beautiful dogs in the world:
shar-pei-silver.jpg

534804a9ae09e9a41192149d2b0865a6.jpg

Bone-Mouth:
e30cf83010fd6281c7469361fc61f55e.jpg

Theyre also likely one of the inspirstions for the fu dog:
BA398-CA8-C950-4-E8-E-A7-EA-95-B25-F4-A5-DFB.jpg

full

full

Last edited:
Wasn’t my favorite breed (Rotts, Boxers & Japanese Akitas). Shibas are not easiest to train, and some can be cat dogs (aloof and not so affectionate).
36-C02742-1-B75-41-E6-93-BF-88578-B608-BFB.jpg

That said, wanted a doggo that seemed to match my lifestyle/persona & (i love the look). this guy is doing well so far.

16 weeks in and we are off to right start.
He’s Affectionate, mildly stubborn, but after a few takes /reps) submits & picks up new intended behavior. Consistent Routine at this point has been key.

Smart, Social in public, and well behaved (for the most part).
I’m happy/satisfied with going Shiba route in my case.
I hope this continues forward as well.

Last edited:
I'm always going to get mongrels / crosses. Health's much better and generally a herding dog / working dog for the smarts and robustness

Wasn’t my favorite breed (Rotts & Japanese Akitas). Shibas are not easiest to train, and some can be cat dogs (aloof and not so affectionate).

giphy.gif

That said, wanted a doggo that seemed to match my lifestyle/persona & (i love the look). this guy is doing well so far.

16 weeks in and we are off to right start.
He’s Affectionate, mildly stubborn, but after a few takes /reps) submits & picks up new intended behavior. Consistent Routine at this point has been key.

Smart, Social in public, and well behaved (for the most part).
I’m happy/satisfied with going Shiba route in my case.
I hope this continues forward as well.

Been around medium and large size dogs my whole life. I have an akita dog now yet I am unsure if I would like a different dog breed in the future or just stay akita, saint bernard dogs are cool too. A family needs one dog though if they can adequately afford to care for it.

Back