• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Favorite Dog Breed?

Rhodesian-Ridgeback-laying-down-in-the-yard.jpg
[/QUOTE

Really good dog.
It's what I grew up with.
That and one golden retriever.

I pretty much love every breed except for pits and rottweillers.

My favorite has got to be the Great Dane, though. Beautiful, goofy, playful. My family had a black one ("Paxá") back when I was 8 or 9. Unfortunately our house at the time got too small for him so we had to send him to my grandpa's, which had an accordingly huge backyard.

Too bad they don't live long, though.

I pretty much love every breed except for pits and rottweillers.

My favorite has got to be the Great Dane, though. Beautiful, goofy, playful. My family had a black one ("Paxá") back when I was 8 or 9. Unfortunately our house at the time got too small for him so we had to send him to my grandpa's, which had an accordingly huge backyard.

Too bad they don't live long, though.

Pit can be the best or worst dog you can own. Depends on dog and you must be alpha. High energy and ready to roll at all times. I mean 300 years of fighting won't be bread out overnight. Realistically one should have to get an exotic pet license like a tiger to prove responsible and trained. Pit bulls used to fight bulls and bears before they were pit against each other. Not something an avg family should just walk into.

Rotties are sweet. Big and gentle. They get a bad rap because they are genuine man stoppers if property trained... but in general socialize very well. Nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Pit bull isn’t actually an officially recognized breed. It’ll be an English or American staffordshire bull terrier or mix of mainly those breeds..
Yes it is by UKC and ADBA just not AKC.

Yes it is by UKC and ADBA just not AKC.
The ADBA is basically meaningless as a breed registry. It’s a pit bull fan club.

The American Kennel Club, the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC), and the Federation Cynologique International (FCI) only recognize the American staffy as a breed. A breed that is basically genetically indistinguishable from what people call pit bulls.

A girl I met once told me she had a Chocolate Lab - I got excited thinking it was some Willy Wonka shit.

Turned out it was just a Dog...

Pit can be the best or worst dog you can own. Depends on dog and you must be alpha. High energy and ready to roll at all times. I mean 300 years of fighting won't be bread out overnight. Realistically one should have to get an exotic pet license like a tiger to prove responsible and trained. Pit bulls used to fight bulls and bears before they were pit against each other. Not something an avg family should just walk into.

Rotties are sweet. Big and gentle. They get a bad rap because they are genuine man stoppers if property trained... but in general socialize very well. Nothing to fear.

I know a guy whose 1 year old niece was randomly attacked and killed by the family's gentle and sweet rottweiller.

Sure, this is purely anedoctal and could happen witch a number of different breeds, but I've heard of multiple similar cases, and of course, rottweillers are particularly hard to stop once they commit to it.

View attachment 883136
I love all dogs - but I’m addicted to frenchies. This one is my fourth.
I’ve had boxers, weimeraners, blue cattle dogs, Rhodesian ridgebacks. All great companions but now it’s frenchies.
They are funny little fuckers. My brother has one and he is over a few nights a week and plays with my dogs. The Frenchie will burp and fart right in your face and then sit on your lap.

English Setters for me
RIP Mac
View media item 34704The new pup has big shoes to fill^^^
This is Jack, his first day home
1609553738139.jpg

This is Jack 1 year later
IMG_20211030_173052669.jpg

He's a birdog, but also goes fishing
IMG_20211023_095503946~3.jpg
(He's young and doesn't have a thick coat yet, so had to help him stay warm)

English Setters for me
RIP Mac
View media item 34704The new pup has big shoes to fill^^^
This is Jack, his first day home
View attachment 901151

This is Jack 1 year later
View attachment 901152

He's a birdog, but also goes fishing
View attachment 901156
(He's young and doesn't have a thick coat yet, so had to help him stay warm)
That’s a good looking Setter. I use a Brittany myself for birds, my youngest and most promising is named Gus. The only bird dog I know that hunt out an entire covey of Blue Quail. I can’t wait to take him west next year for Pheasant.DF9C0C8B-A868-434C-A95A-C97D6954516F.jpeg4F4F535D-CE12-4DFB-AB58-9EF233F41FB2.jpegBD6B6132-E446-408B-BCB9-CB8EA8D06353.jpeg

Back