News Eddie Hearn names Francis Ngannou, Zhilei Zhang and Filip Hrgović as potential next opponents for Anthony Joshua

Who would you like to see AJ fight next?

• Total voters
I'd prefer Zhang, but Hrgovic would be ok. I agree he's probably earned a shot.

I'd watch Ngannou too, but not my first pick.

It’ll be hrgovic! If not then zhang.

Both guys are no 1 contender for the ibf and wbo respectively. It seems that the ibf will strip the champ if they don’t defend against their guy next. And hearn-hrgovic have worked together loads of times as well. That will be the fight imo

I’d expect ngannou to rematch fury after he ducks out of the usyk rematch. It isn’t gonna be Joshua next and wilder/ngannou won’t happen

The fight to make is Ngannou. Has the hype and relatively easy to look good with a spectacular KO and make Fury look that much worse in the process, potentially setting up their fight down the line.

The fight to make is Ngannou. Has the hype and relatively easy to look good with a spectacular KO and make Fury look that much worse in the process, potentially setting up their fight down the line.
Francis proved he can not only hang but score a knockdown.

Ngannou isn't the safe fight you're trying to make it out to be. Imagine if Francis actually wins - there's no coming back from that

Francis proved he can not only hang but score a knockdown.

Ngannou isn't the safe fight you're trying to make it out to be. Imagine if Francis actually wins - there's no coming back from that
It's not a guarantee but let be serious - Joshua would rightly be the huge favourite. And if he somehow lost to the likes of Francis Ngannou, he would have no business competing for the heavyweight belts again anyway.

It's not a guarantee but let be serious - Joshua would rightly be the huge favourite. And if he somehow lost to the likes of Francis Ngannou, he would have no business competing for the heavyweight belts again anyway.
I don't think he'd be as big a favorite as he would have been before Ngannou knocked Fury down and a lot of people thought he won the fight. Nobody expected Francis to be competitive with a legit boxing champ in his debut fight - but he was. If he can improve, there's a definite chance he could beat Fury in a rematch, and the odds would be much closer for a second fight. I think a lot of that would carry to a potential AJ fight as well. Ngannou wouldn't be +700 or anything like that

Overall I think the best option for Joshua is Zhang.

He’ll fight hrgovic as it is expected that the winner of the unification fight will be mandated to fight the ibfs no1 next. Considering there’s a rematch clause, hrgovic (ibf no1) next fight is likely to be for the title. Joshua is currently their no 2 after beating wallin

Last edited:
It’s unlikely the IBF title would be on the line so early after Fury/ Usyk. Without the title on the line the Hrgovic fight makes no sense,

The Saudi’s want a big fight to replace Wilder vs Joshua. That’s probably Ngannou.

I don't think he'd be as big a favorite as he would have been before Ngannou knocked Fury down and a lot of people thought he won the fight. Nobody expected Francis to be competitive with a legit boxing champ in his debut fight - but he was. If he can improve, there's a definite chance he could beat Fury in a rematch, and the odds would be much closer for a second fight. I think a lot of that would carry to a potential AJ fight as well. Ngannou wouldn't be +700 or anything like that
It was a great performance by Ngannou but I think too much is read into it. He would still be a huge underdog in a Fury rematch or with Joshua. Fury looked awful, flabby and didn't take it seriously despite what he said. Styles also make fights but I would expect him to KO Ngannou if they fought again. Ngannou is no youngster either so he could improve yes but he could also decline. Its Joshua's last role of the dice for a title so it wouldn't make much sense to be avoiding the money fights so while it's not a formality, it would be expected by most everyone he takes out Ngannou inside the distance.

Back