Media Eddie Hearn: 'We reached out to Ngannou for Joshua fight - never heard anything back'

It's a big misconception that Ngannou is hittable? The guy literally doesn't move his head or feet. His defense is really porous. He doesn't get hit as much as he otherwise would because his power acts as a deterrent for opponents that want to open up. The guys you just listed as hitters in MMA don't hit nearly as hard as Joshua does. Ngannou was able to take clean shots off of Stipe but against Joshua it's a recipe for being put to sleep. Few have survived Joshua and those that did still got floored with the exception of only a couple fighters (Usyk & Franklin come to mind).

AJ hits harder than JDS,Lewis with 4oz gloves?

Lewis hit Ngannou hard? Pretty sure that fight is famous for them not hitting each other.

JDS probably doesn't hit as hard as Joshua, much less when he was 90 years old.

There's no doubt in my mind. Ngannou has already said that Fury hit him the hardest he's ever been hit. Fury isn't even a puncher and that was also with 10 oz gloves. Obviously Joshua hits significantly harder than Fury, who hits harder than all of those MMA fighters in 4 oz gloves, and Ngannou will surely agree after this fight.

To your question, yes.
But also JDS did not land a single punch on Ngannou so it's irrelevant. Lewis was injured and hardly landed anything.

Outside Fury, the most significant experience Ngannou had was the 8 rounds of hard sparring with Joe Joyce.

He also had very decent sparring partners to prepare for Fury. Jackson Murray, and an italian guy.

First page of this thread is pretty amusing. People keep doubting that man and he just keeps making shit happen.

First page of this thread is pretty amusing. People keep doubting that man and he just keeps making shit happen.
It's reasonable to have doubted him up until yesterday. Hearn initially tried to make the AJ fight and Team Ngannou never even responded. Read the thread title.

It's reasonable to have doubted him up until yesterday. Hearn initially tried to make the AJ fight and Team Ngannou never even responded. Read the thread title.
Speak for yourself. I'm well aware of the situation and thread title, something not happening on what you consider a fast enough timeline does not mean he is scared of AJ or looking for easier fights. Take your L and move on it's not that serious, only amusing.

Speak for yourself. I'm well aware of the situation and thread title, something not happening on what you consider a fast enough timeline does not mean he is scared of AJ or looking for easier fights. Take your L and move on it's not that serious, only amusing.
Show me where I said he was scared? You don't think it's even a little odd that his team never responded to Hearn's offer initially? That's what this thread is about after all. It's nice that they eventually did and that the fight is done. Kudos to them. As for taking my L, kindly go fuck yourself.

To your question, yes.
But also JDS did not land a single punch on Ngannou so it's irrelevant. Lewis was injured and hardly landed anything.

Outside Fury, the most significant experience Ngannou had was the 8 rounds of hard sparring with Joe Joyce.

He also had very decent sparring partners to prepare for Fury. Jackson Murray, and an italian guy.
Thank you. I cant believe how many people over the last few months are like "OH, LEWIS AND JDS DONT HARD HUH?!" - Ngannou was barely touched by them lmao.

The hardest punchers he fought in MMA that actually hit him were kickboxers who...don't punch as hard as boxers. I'm embarrassed that even has to be said.

Last edited:
Show me where I said he was scared? You don't think it's even a little odd that his team never responded to Hearn's offer initially? That's what this thread is about after all. It's nice that they eventually did and that the fight is done. Kudos to them. As for taking my L, kindly go fuck yourself.
What a baby lol.

Thank you. I cant believe how many people over the last few months are like "OH, LEWIS AND JDS DONT HARD HUH?!" - Ngannou was barely touched by them lmao.

The hardest punchers he fought in MMA that actually hit him were kickboxers who...don't punch as hard as boxers. I'm embarrassed that even has to be said.
That's true. There are some MMA fighters that can definitely crack. Anthony "Rumble" Johnson (RIP) would probably be my first pick. Dan Henderson is also up there. They had the power to sleep heavyweights despite not being natural heavyweights. We know that the average MMA fighter doesn't punch nearly as hard as the average boxer. In boxing we have plenty of featherfisted guys but our top sluggers are significantly more powerful than MMA's top sluggers.

How hard one punches has very little to do with their chosen combat sport, it's almost all born in ability... if it took technique than explain why Wilder can hit so hard--dude has worse boxing form than most WMMA fighers.

How hard one punches has very little to do with their chosen combat sport, it's almost all born in ability... if it took technique than explain why Wilder can hit so hard--dude has worse boxing form than most WMMA fighers.
The saying goes that 'punchers are born and not made.' However, without proper technique a fighter won't be able to efficiently generate and deliver the power that they've been blessed with. The hardest hitting MMA fighters can generate it fine, it's actually delivering it as efficiently as possible that's their bottleneck. Since their punching technique is often trash they end up losing a significant amount of that power before it reaches their opponent. The bottleneck, or kink, is in the kinetic chain. Wilder doesn't need proper technique to score one-punch KOs but he's a freak and not the norm.

Boxing is the sport of punching, it goes without saying, that the hardest punchers are going to be in boxing - and no the ability to hit someone hard is not just genetic that is just a cliche.

That doesn't mean that there are no hard hitting kickboxers, it just means on average, that harder hitting punchers are going to be in boxing. Could the hardest hitter in the world actually be competting in Jiu Jitsu right now? Sure, but it is baseless and they would be an exception.

To connect the point, I'm alluding to the fact that Ngannou has never been hit by a real heavy hitter or at least not many. Like yes, he has fought Alistair Overeem, who indeed is a professional striker, and...he's a kickboxer not a puncher. He hurts people with kicks and knees, if Ngannou said Tyson Fury's jab hurts more than a fully clinched Overeem then that would be heck of a compliment.

The hardest hitter Ngannou fought and actually got hit by if I can recall is Rozenstruik who is a kickboxer. He has good hands for a kickboxer, but most of the guys he's knocked out with punches in MMA are guys with bad defense or weak durability. So Tyson Fury hitting harder than him doesn't seem that surprising.

It’s both. You can’t hit hard without decent technique. The guys with crazy power like Jackson, it is genetics on top of that. However that’s not gonna be realised with out perfecting the technique, which can literally take years and years.

Wilder has perfected his right hand. There probably isn’t even the slightest tweak he can make to add anything to it, it’s probably already been done over time in the gym. Everything else is wilders issue, especially his feet which is why he doesn’t throw it as much as he could or should

KBers switched to boxing ofc are instinctively limited in pure boxing while will you tell that prime or medium shape Povetkin, Briedis or Huck ( before get battered too much ) didn't had hit " hard "? Especially in counters.
And delusion about weak KBers punch mostly comes cos low interest in body mechanics.
In boxing usually 25-33 or more % from punch physical power is from legwork and hips movement while in KB for kick all workload mainly is on support leg....so really weak " punches " they might deliver.
While yeah, I agree that boxer vs KBer with equal level, shape and experience in fight under boxing rules (!)does have more chances to win on cards than KBer .....

KBers switched to boxing ofc are instinctively limited in pure boxing while will you tell that prime or medium shape Povetkin, Briedis or Huck ( before get battered too much ) didn't had hit " hard "? Especially in counters.
And delusion about weak KBers punch mostly comes cos low interest in body mechanics.
In boxing usually 25-33 or more % from punch physical power is from legwork and hips movement while in KB for kick all workload mainly is on support leg....so really weak " punches " they might deliver.
While yeah, I agree that boxer vs KBer with equal level, shape and experience in fight under boxing rules (!)does have more chances to win on cards than KBer .....

Good post dude and the bolded bit is spot on. I bet breidis/povetkin/huck started punching a fair bit harder when they crossed over to pure boxing

To your question, yes.

( And an Italian guy )

Probably this guy from Napoli Italy ,he was a beast back in the Day . Would explain his performance.

Back