Donald Trump and the gullible right wing.

I've heard it in the sense of someone who is cheated on (it's in Shakespeare a lot). But in the sense that people use it here ("race traitor" or someone who sees women as equals), I think six months ago is when I first noticed it.
Yeah, Shakespeare and period fiction as well.

No, that's your own strange inference.

But the graph clearly shows that while the voting participation rates went up for *both* races in 2000 and 2004, they did not continue to go up for white voters in 2008 as they did for black voters.

Why? My guess is that some marginal white voters were not as motivated in 2008 as marginal black voters were - that's a reasonable inference given the excitement generated by Obama's candidacy among black voters.

Did it make a difference in the outcome of the race? No. McCain was going to lose anyway, even if those marginal white voters had participated in the election at the same rate blacks did.
The black voter turnout was roughly 4% higher in 08 than before. Do you even math, bro?

I agree, trump is far left of obama--he's just trolling republicans.

Just look at how leftist his ideas were BEFORE running for president:
1) for single payer healthcare
2) for wealth taxes on the rich
3) anti free trade
4) Pro abortion

Instead of holding onto a belief still that people only voted for Obama because he was black...maybe you Republicans should start putting up better candidates? #TheMoreYouKnow

Instead of holding onto a belief still that people only voted for Obama because he was black...maybe you Republicans should start putting up better candidates? #TheMoreYouKnow

Are you making some kind of argument or are you just stroking your candy cane?

I'm not saying that Obama won because he's black or because of the black vote, I'm simply saying that a lot of black people voted for him because he's black, I thought that was obvious.

The numbers are: 95% of the black vote was for Obama in 2008. In 2004, it was 88% for Kerry. 90% for Gore before that, and 84% for Clinton.

I understand what you're saying. I'm disagreeing.

Black people overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates. I don't think it's easy to say that a lot of black people voted for him because he's black rather than because he was the Democratic candidate. I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the black vote was averaging around the 70's or something like that for Democratic candidates but they reached 90% for Al Gore and 88% for Kerry. So we're looking at small increases, not large ones, in the uniformness of the black vote.

Actually, you're right, I did get it wrong, haha. 88% vs 95% according to Roper Centre.

You're looking at the wrong stat. You want voter participation rates broken down by race, not the Democratic presidential candidate's share of the black vote.

That's a pretty radical conclusion, I don't think anyone is saying that, at least I'm not.

Obama likely would have won had he been white, but it's no secret that a lot of black people (and white people) voted for him because they wanted the first black president. How can you even argue that, they spoke about it openly.

Actually, you're right, I did get it wrong, haha. 88% vs 95% according to Roper Centre.
Yeah, you DEFINITELY don't math.

vtgraphic2.png

That's a pretty radical conclusion, I don't think anyone is saying that, at least I'm not.

Obama likely would have won had he been white, but it's no secret that a lot of black people (and white people) voted for him because they wanted the first black president. How can you even argue that, they spoke about it openly.
And you have proof of this? You know, actual numbers and not just generalizing based on a few people on Youtube?

Black people overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates. I don't think it's easy to say that a lot of black people voted for him because he's black rather than because he was the Democratic candidate. I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the black vote was averaging around the 70's or something like that for Democratic candidates but they reached 90% for Al Gore and 88% for Kerry. So we're looking at small increases, not large ones, in the uniformness of the black vote.

The Democratic presidential candidate was going to win the 2008 election, no matter who he or she was. The war in Iraq and the financial crisis saw to that. Eight years of George W. Bush saw to that.

But Obama was not going to win the 2008 Democratic primary against Hillary if he was white.

Clinton was pretty low, which is surprising, but are you saying that you can't attribute that very small increase for those that wanted the first black president?

Also, lets say I vote Democrat because I hate Republicans, and now a black guy is running and he may be the first black president. I can vote for him because he's black, even though I would have voted Democrat, anyway. Just because I was going to vote Demo, doesn't mean that I can't vote for Obama because he's black.

No, that's your own strange inference.

But the graph clearly shows that while the voting participation rates went up for *both* races in 2000 and 2004, they did not continue to go up for white voters in 2008 as they did for black voters.

Why? My guess is that some marginal white voters were not as motivated in 2008 as marginal black voters were - that's a reasonable inference given the excitement generated by Obama's candidacy among black voters.

Did it make a difference in the outcome of the race? No. McCain was going to lose anyway, even if those marginal white voters had participated in the election at the same rate blacks did.

I didn't make an inference in my post. I think you missed the train of thought. The argument presented was that Obama won because he was black. Someone pointed to the increase in black turnout to indicate that Obama's blackness was a significant factor in the election outcomes.

However, the increase in the black turnout wasn't unique to Obama's campaign, the previous 2 elections also enjoyed increased black turnout. Since the trend preceded Obama's presence on the national stage, his blackness can't be the reason for the trend.

That was when you commented on the decrease in white turnout. While accurate, that decrease certainly wasn't related to Obama being black. So, I addressed your comment in the context of the preceding posts - specifically how Obama's race influenced the election outcome.

If you're saying that the lower white turnout wasn't related to Obama's race then we're in agreement.

I think Obama being 1/2 black and identifying as black is a net positive for many. I thought it was a positive and I'm not black or a filthy leftist. The reason being is that having diversity in leadership is inspirational.

Back