• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to Islam Makhachev?

Does Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to Islam Makhachev?

• Total voters
From interviews I've heard from him, he seems like he's going all in this one. And no turning back.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he loses, although I know he can still make a lot of money fighting big names in rematches.

But I think Poirier is more about accolades and championship belts than lucrative money making fights.

Good luck to him against Islam. I hope he wins.

BOAUY6ZJ5FAJPM5JSMTBUDDJMU.jpg

Id like to see him go to 170lbs for a few big fights( KO colby, maybe smash Conor again) and then retire if he doesnt get the strap this time around...but Dustin is live dog in every fight so im pumped

I think so.

I know Dustin said anothrr rematch with Conor is unlikely but that might be the only exception

He said in his recent Ariel interview that it could be he last fight, he doesn’t know, he’ll decide on the night, but yeah it could be.

He takes his losses hard. How much more of that does he really want?

He may but I seriously doubt it. Dustin has so many big fight opportunities it’s unreal. Trilogy fights with Max and Justin look pretty good even if he loses to Islam, a rematch with Charles could be fun and even a 4th fight with Conor is probably sellable. I think he hangs around for at least a couple more fights

It depends on how he loses - assuming he does. If he's wiped out, he might. But Dustin has a big name and is marketable. Still lots if good fights out there for him.

From interviews I've heard from him, he seems like he's going all in this one. And no turning back.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he loses, although I know he can still make a lot of money fighting big names in rematches.

But I think Poirier is more about accolades and championship belts than lucrative money making fights.

Good luck to him against Islam. I hope he wins.

BOAUY6ZJ5FAJPM5JSMTBUDDJMU.jpg
He's expected to lose------it wouldn't change his plans..... if he's already made them.

Yes, I don't think he's done as a fighter, but I think he's tired, nothing is left for him, if he can't be the champ.

I think he might and then come back for a special fun fight and a lot of money.

Yes. And it's not if, either. We've seen this fight before it ends exactly the same way.

If he wins he defends. If he loses he retires - unless they give him the "easy money for your family to beat up a has-been" Conor 4 fight... then he probably takes that and retires.

milk as much money for sure

Yeah, but I think Poirier is the kind of guy who'd come back for a big fight. He's mentioned struggling with mental health when he's not in training camp, so retiring might be tough for him at first. If I were his friend, I'd suggest he pick up another competitive sport to keep that drive alive—maybe jujitsu tournaments, road running, or powerlifting. Just because he's done with professional MMA doesn't mean he should stop competing altogether.

He might retire if he wins. He has used the "R" word a few times now.
I could see him coming back to do another fight with Conor in BKFC if they managed to become free agents and there was a metric fuck ton of money offered.

For him ... since he has losses on his record already ... why not defend it once or twice. Much more money with PPV points.

Especially if Conor wins his next fight as well.

Easy rematch / ppv points / plus red panty night again

Probably should retire if he drops this fight. Really nothing left for him to prove. The dude has been fighting for 15 years and about 40 fights on him with the whos whos of the LW division.

But with a Conor fight maybe hanging out there that is a lot of money to turn down.

Tough to say with a win he probably doesn't retire there's too much money being left on the table. With a loss though it's possible but there's still a ton of big fights for him even in a loss. A 4th conor fight, Gaethje trilogy, Max Trilogy all three could headline a PPV if the UFC was so inclined. I think he's still got enough tread on the tires for another fight after Islam regardless of outcome

For him ... since he has losses on his record already ... why not defend it once or twice. Much more money with PPV points.

Especially if Conor wins his next fight as well.

Easy rematch / ppv points / plus red panty night again
I am not saying he SHOULD just that he could.

Back