• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to Islam Makhachev?

Does Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to Islam Makhachev?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
From interviews I've heard from him, he seems like he's going all in this one. And no turning back.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he loses, although I know he can still make a lot of money fighting big names in rematches.

But I think Poirier is more about accolades and championship belts than lucrative money making fights.

Good luck to him against Islam. I hope he wins.

BOAUY6ZJ5FAJPM5JSMTBUDDJMU.jpg

Maybe, I think it depends how he loses
I could see him announcing his retirement in the moment but going back on it a few weeks later to plan a proper last bout

I'd say most likely he would have a trilogy fight with Gaethje, win or lose he's done after that

He will pretend retirement then will come back when UFC gives him the big bucks money fights.

He might retire if he wins. He has used the "R" word a few times now.
I could see him coming back to do another fight with Conor in BKFC if they managed to become free agents and there was a metric fuck ton of money offered.

Probably not, it's not like the guy is shot.
Still making good money.

From interviews I've heard from him, he seems like he's going all in this one. And no turning back.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he loses, although I know he can still make a lot of money fighting big names in rematches.

But I think Poirier is more about accolades and championship belts than lucrative money making fights.

Good luck to him against Islam. I hope he wins.

BOAUY6ZJ5FAJPM5JSMTBUDDJMU.jpg
Given the trajectory of his career, I actually think he should retire, win OR lose...
If he loses, he'd likely never get another title shot, as he'd be 0-3. And if he wins, it would be the perfect, most dramatic cap to an incredibly exciting career. Movie-worthy story.
Not to mention the guy has taken a TON of damage, given all the brutal and exciting fights he's been in.

Islam is, admittedly, my favourite current fighter, but I have nothing but love and respect for Dustin. He truly is what makes this sport so great. Great fighter and great guy.
<{JustBleed}> <RomeroSalute>

He will pretend retirement then will come back when UFC gives him the big bucks money fights.
Ugh... Yeah... Lotta that going around, unfortunately...
In boxing too.

<{hughesimpress}>

I dont think he retires. He has other fights even at 170 if he wanted to stay around and get big paydays. I dont think he can retire on the hot sauce money.

I think if Dustin Poirier doesn't retire, he will most likely continue fighting
I want to see Poirier vs Gaethje 3.. the rubber match. 1-1 so far, and both finished each other by strikes, we need a 3rd and final match to settle it.

Both of their fights were great and entertaining, would love to see the rubber match!

I want to see Poirier vs Gaethje 3.. the rubber match. 1-1 so far, and both finished each other by strikes, we need a 3rd and final match to settle it.

Both of their fights were great and entertaining, would love to see the rubber match!
Agreed that is a great fight. Just bleed warriors banging it out, what more can you ask for.

I think so. He's talked about retirement in the past.

Back