Do you think clean athletes exist within the UFC?

Yes. Although the % is lower than I had wanted to believe.

I have no idea really how many that could be using PEDs in the UFC, but my guess is around 30% are clean.

There's no way 100% are using peds so it's pretty shitty for the fighters who are actually clean. Would be real fun if they went serious with the testing and we would actually see who is the best 'natural' fighter.

That will never happen though.

Personally I think they would be few and far between. One only has to look at cycling to realise how easily it is to get away with doping, and they're by far the most tested athletes in the world. Albeit they're probably micro-dosing and only getting marginal benefits from doing so.

Whereas UFC fighters/NFL players/soccer stars don't get tested even 1/10 as often, so it would be difficult to believe that serious doping isn't very commonly practised, right?

Surely one would have to be very naive to think otherwise in my opinion

Very few (if any)...

I think something to take into account is that there is a possibility that some fighters are using performing enhancers without knowing it. I know one of the common excuses that fighters use when they get caught is " I didn't know" or "my trainer told me this was ok to take". For some fighters that may be an excuse but for others I think it's true. Many of the top fighters assign the task of strength and conditioning to a personal trainer. Those trainers in turn guide fighters through workouts but also administer supplements. It would not be beyond certain trainers to secretly give their fighters PED in an attempt to get the best results and enhance their personal reputation in a bid to secure more clients. The fighter meanwhile is thinking he is getting basic nutrition all along. When that fighter then gets caught for PEDs it really is a shock to them.

Even guys who are vocal about steroids might have unwittingly used them. For example, BJ Penn went on a crusade against fighters he thought were on steroids (mainly Sean Sherk and GSP). However, I have the sneaking suspicion that when Penn was with Marv Marinovich, BJ's results were not just the product of good ole' fashioned hard work. But in Penn's mind he though he was doing it all naturally. Had he been popped it would have come as a huge surprise to him.

I'm sure there are many fighters out there who fall in the category of blind use. For me GSP is the biggest suspect of them all.

That's like asking if you think a pot of gold exists at the end of a rainbow.

Sure, they might exist, but good luck proving it.

As you say, few and far inbetween. Most top athletes in any sport use something (inb4 source??) and in an injuryprone-sport like MMA you can bet that people use stuff.

It always surprised me how there's fighters who are in their mid 30s or even 40s and still compete on the highest level in UFC, no problem.

It also makes me wonder how there's guys like Carwin and Lesnar.

So no, I don't believe it anymore. Maybe few guys are clean, at least I hope.

I would say Gustafsson is clean, there is to much stigma in using PEDs in Sweden, you will baiscally ruin the rest of your life. It is not the same thing as in other countries. And you have a central agency that is uncorrupted that tests all professional athletes. Now when he is in San Diego to train the doping committe hired people in the US to make tests on him according to the standards in Sweden.

Lol@no PEDs because he's from Sweden.

images

I believe most use regularly, and I am nearly certain that a bunch of the big stars use.

I would be surprised if Penn, Fitch, or Diaz ever used anabolic steroids. It's hard to think of others.

Penn, Machida, Cain, JDS, Anderson, Gus, Diaz, Hunt, Shogun, Korean Zombie. To name a few of the guys I highly doubt use roids.

JDS? You are dreaming...

The correct answer is still Championship Material Punk.

Leader of the SES and future savior of Jon Jones.

Best in the world!

Tim Kennedy seems clean. His age is catching up with him and his gas tank is getting worse.

Back