Do you think clean athletes exist within the UFC?

You realize PEDs don't stop you from being a fatass right?

Dude doesn't seem to give a shit about his body. I could see him roiding.

i don't know why but that made me LOL. I've been knowing the majority of these guys are dirty but I will let them keep living in their fantasy land.

Probably not they all take something at some point

Especially now that we know the lengths that the UFC and the commissions will go to protect top draws from drug testing, I'd think it's unlikely that more than a very small percentage of our champions have always been PED free.

It's an arms race, no? If he takes it and stands across the cage from me, I might not take it. But when he and he and he and he took it and stood across the cage from me, and especially as I start rising the ranks, it's going to be either take it or kiss my dreams of championship goodbye because guys on PEDs will take it from me.

Tough call. I judge the commission and the orgs for doping. Either allow and regulate it HONESTLY or test to stop it HONESTLY.

But no more fakeness. It sacrifices our fighters only while the ones who really have the power to take a no-nonsense stand keep on pretending for the media and fans.

The non cynic in me would say about 80% are clean but the cynic in me is saying it's about 50/50.

Yes. Fighting isn't like cycling or weight lifting. There are a lot of variables. It's not so hard to imagine someone doing well based on training, skill, and natural aptitude.

I've always found it a bit laughable that anyone believed Lance Armstrong won all those Tours de France clean against a dirty field, tho. You're literally sitting on a seat and pumping pedals all day. No way a clean cyclist has a chance.

This, MMA fans are going from extreme naivety to extreme paranoia. Anyone who is not surprised by the Jones news is not going to do an extreme flip flop.

Some of the higher estimates by fighters are probably guys excusing their own weaknesses and shortcomings. It does happen.

I think it's reasonable to say 30-40% of the fighters are clean. It's difficult to say exactly who though, unattainable physiques are evidence of doping but attainable physiques are not evidence of being clean.

Yes, the poor ones who can't afford the good stuff are probably clean.

Probably though they would be the vast minority.

This, MMA fans are going from extreme naivety to extreme paranoia. Anyone who is not surprised by the Jones news is not going to do an extreme flip flop.

Some of the higher estimates by fighters are probably guys excusing their own weaknesses and shortcomings. It does happen.

I think it's reasonable to say 30-40% of the fighters are clean. It's difficult to say exactly who though, unattainable physiques are evidence of doping but attainable physiques are not evidence of being clean.

Curious Dan,

I've heard some fighters give those higher estimates that I've wondered if they were excusing their own behaviour with as well. How did you settle on the 60-70% of fighters are using? Whose estimates or input are you weighing most heavily?

The non cynic in me would say about 80% are clean but the cynic in me is saying it's about 50/50.

My friend, that is SSOOOOOOOO not cynical. You are a man without a cynic in you. And I admire that.

for the record, cynic starts at 80-90%. 50/50 is not in the least bit cynical!

I would say it's not too far off 50/50 people regularly clean / dirty.

I would say the % of guys who have dabbled would be much higher.

haha. that's a good one. if anything, he's one of the guys that i would not be surprised at all to find out was roiding.

Yeah, not bad mouth a great champ but I would be very surprised indeed if GSP was clean.

The timing of his 'crusade' couldn't have been more cynical IMO.

I would say it's not too far off 50/50 people regularly clean / dirty.

I would say the % of guys who have dabbled would be much higher.

Curious,

everyone's in here talking percentages. What's it based on? Gut feel? Star alignment? Nobody's posting sources for their numbers. I've heard some MMA fighters say certain numbers but those are the only sources I've really found relevant here. Do you guys have any other sources?

Is this thread a rhetorical question?

Curious,

everyone's in here talking percentages. What's it based on? Gut feel? Star alignment? Nobody's posting sources for their numbers. I've heard some MMA fighters say certain numbers but those are the only sources I've really found relevant here. Do you guys have any other sources?

Totally gut feel.

I good part of it is also due to ability to pay / higher stakes when that win cash is that much higher etc.

Totally gut feel.

I good part of it is also due to ability to pay / higher stakes when that win cash is that much higher etc.

Man, if I was an MMA fighter that thought I could be champ and found out two of my last 3 opponents juiced, I'd start up as well.

When in Rome, right? Money doesn't grow on trees, but it grows off PEDs.

Man, if I was an MMA fighter that thought I could be champ and found out two of my last 3 opponents juiced, I'd start up as well.

When in Rome, right? Money doesn't grow on trees, but it grows off PEDs.

Pretty much, I'm not pro PEDs at all but this is these guys livelihood.

Pretty much, I'm not pro PEDs at all but this is these guys livelihood.

I barely take asprin. But feeding my family is a serious thing, and it's not like I'm going to retire from MMA with all my health intact anyway. May as well try and do something big with it.

Better to use PEDs and set up my grandkids than to be clean and get knocked off the undercard into oblivion and then be found bouncing at night clubs with a bunch of nagging injuries for life.

Sad, but it's what we have to work with in a corrupt world.

Personally I think they would be few and far between. One only has to look at cycling to realise how easily it is to get away with doping, and they're by far the most tested athletes in the world. Albeit they're probably micro-dosing and only getting marginal benefits from doing so.

Whereas UFC fighters/NFL players/soccer stars don't get tested even 1/10 as often, so it would be difficult to believe that serious doping isn't very commonly practised, right?

Surely one would have to be very naive to think otherwise in my opinion

I'm guessing that surely not in the top levels of each division.

Been training jits overseas in camps with fighters from all around the world, of course some will be clean, some will juice secretly, but some will do it openly and even discuss how many iu they dose a day and of what.

there's also a gray area, substances that are illegal in EU, but still legal in America and so on.

Personally I think they would be few and far between. One only has to look at cycling to realise how easily it is to get away with doping, and they're by far the most tested athletes in the world. Albeit they're probably micro-dosing and only getting marginal benefits from doing so.

Whereas UFC fighters/NFL players/soccer stars don't get tested even 1/10 as often, so it would be difficult to believe that serious doping isn't very commonly practised, right?

Surely one would have to be very naive to think otherwise in my opinion

I think Weidman is clean.

Back