Do firearms make people dumber?

Does anyone really think a handgun is that good of self defense? Especially when you take the laws on self defense into account. They are fucked even if you defend yourself unarmed, yet if you shoot someone.

Handguns make excellent self defense tools in the right hands. Even if you're untrained, it's a WHOLE lot better than having nothing in a self defense situation where your life is at risk. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Handguns make excellent self defense tools in the right hands. Even if you're untrained, it's a WHOLE lot better than having nothing in a self defense situation where your life is at risk. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I agree about the trained person, but untrained person, no fuckin way. They might get lucky, but just as likely they won't. Knives are also good self defense in trained hands, but absolutely terrible in untrained hands. Probably just as or more likely to get lucky with a knife too unless you are dumb enough to try throwing it.

Pepper spray is much more effective in untrained arms than either.

There are many situations, so it's really hard to go through all of them. Getting mugged on the street is very different than someone invading your house. Getting mugged on the street if the person is unarmed, you can't shoot them. If they have a knife, you are extremely likely to get cut pulling your gun, and if you have a gun, as long as the thug is willing to shoot, he'll try shooting before you can pull your gun. Admittedly, you are probably best off just giving your wallet in these cases. Any type of self defense is just a hope and a prayer.

If it's a home invasion, I would say a shot gun is good, but a hand gun, not as much, only if your are trained to shoot.

Home defense in general, a dog is much better. It's always there to bark and attack invaders. Guns can only protect your house if you are home. Guns are also often targeted items for thieves.

Glocks are semi-automatic. Except for the 18, which is not available for civilian purchase.[/QU] Really? I have to pull the trigger for every round on mine. Perhaps I don't know as much about guns as I thought... I own 3 (though one is locked up probably never to be shot, sentimental) Does that scare you?

Glocks are semi-automatic. Except for the 18, which is not available for civilian purchase.[/QU] Really? I have to pull the trigger for every round on mine. Perhaps I don't know as much about guns as I thought... I own 3 (though one is locked up probably never to be shot, sentimental) Does that scare you?

Semi-automatic=You have to squeeze the trigger every time you want a round to go off and the next to chamber.
Automatic=You hold down the trigger and the gun automatically cycles rounds as fast as the mechanisms involved with that firearm's design allow it to.

The Glocks that you own are all semi-automatic.

And no, you probably wouldn't scare me if I ran into you. :icon_lol:

Semi-automatic=You have to squeeze the trigger every time you want a round to go off and the next to chamber.
Automatic=You hold down the trigger and the gun automatically cycles rounds as fast as the mechanisms involved with that firearm's design allow it to.

The Glocks that you own are all semi-automatic.

And no, you probably wouldn't scare me if I ran into you. :icon_lol:

I was about to post the same thing. How does someone who owns "3 glocks" not know this?

Guys TS is right. If only the shooter has guns, than everyone is safe.

I agree about the trained person, but untrained person, no fuckin way. They might get lucky, but just as likely they won't. Knives are also good self defense in trained hands, but absolutely terrible in untrained hands. Probably just as or more likely to get lucky with a knife too unless you are dumb enough to try throwing it.

Pepper spray is much more effective in untrained arms than either.

There are many situations, so it's really hard to go through all of them. Getting mugged on the street is very different than someone invading your house. Getting mugged on the street if the person is unarmed, you can't shoot them. If they have a knife, you are extremely likely to get cut pulling your gun, and if you have a gun, as long as the thug is willing to shoot, he'll try shooting before you can pull your gun. Admittedly, you are probably best off just giving your wallet in these cases. Any type of self defense is just a hope and a prayer.

If it's a home invasion, I would say a shot gun is good, but a hand gun, not as much, only if your are trained to shoot.

Home defense in general, a dog is much better. It's always there to bark and attack invaders. Guns can only protect your house if you are home. Guns are also often targeted items for thieves.

As an aggressor, who would you feel more comfortable attacking: Someone holding a handgun, or someone holding pepper spray? Keep in mind that you would have no idea what your "victims" level of training would be. Self defense is primarily about prevention and de-escalating volatile situations.

I do agree on your other points though. My main argument is that it's simply better to own (responsibly) than to not own in America. "Better safe than sorry".

Glocks are semi-automatic. Except for the 18, which is not available for civilian purchase.
Really? I have to pull the trigger for every round on mine. Perhaps I don't know as much about guns as I thought... I own 3 (though one is locked up probably never to be shot, sentimental) Does that scare you?

:eek:

Are you for serious right now?

I can't back it up with evidence, though I'm pretty sure the average gun owner is less intelligent than the average person who doesn't own one.

But the redneck kind of spoil it for the rest.

I can't back it up with evidence, though I'm pretty sure the average gun owner is less intelligent than the average person who doesn't own one.

But the redneck kind of spoil it for the rest.

I could make a very rude joke right now... but I won't.

... Or they feel perfectly safe with their glock and feel that people who think they need a semi automatic to protect themselves was probably raised a pussified coward or a paranoid neo con. People talk like theres was some relentless determination that led to Sandy Brook. Nope. The assault rifle was in the house and by the sound of it was not locked up. Just trying to have reason, and noone with reason has said banning these particular guns will stop all of these murders. Im for the ban anyway. You figure it out.

There was no assault rifle...

... Or they feel perfectly safe with their glock and feel that people who think they need a semi automatic to protect themselves was probably raised a pussified coward or a paranoid neo con. People talk like theres was some relentless determination that led to Sandy Brook. Nope. The assault rifle was in the house and by the sound of it was not locked up. Just trying to have reason, and noone with reason has said banning these particular guns will stop all of these murders. Im for the ban anyway. You figure it out.

A Glock IS a semi-automatic...

TS, is English your first and/or native language?

If so,

There are idiots for just about every perspective on an issue, including guns and gun control.

so 47% of the country is either "a pussified coward or a paranoid neo con?" Got it.

Oh and it's Sand Hook. Not Brook.

Give a crazy person enough time and he'll think up of a way to kill many people without a firearm. There's various chmical weapon recipes you can get from the deep web that are literally WMDs, and some you can even find on the normal web. Some of which can be easily made with common household items you can get in many places. I have no doubt these tactics would dwarf anything that a firearm is capable of doing.

I think you overestimate the abilities of some of these idiots. Also their social skills to even talk to people on the black market who'd sell them illegal firearms.

Back