Do firearms make people dumber?

White Mongoose

Green Belt
Reaction score
After what happened in Connecticut, there have been tons of debates on firearms.

One thing I notice is, everybody talk about how firearms could nullify somebody with firearms easily. Just like as if they are turning a tv off with remote or something.

It seems like every time firearms is bring up, people act like they will easily shot somebody who also are armed, if teachers were armed they could stop the situation, and list goes on.

But doesn't anyone even think "what if the "good guy" got shot first?" or "what if the situation was taken by surprise?" or anything like that.

It just make me think that everybody who think firearms are answer to their problem are nothing but bunches of idiot who think that just because they have a firearms they are immortal and can stop anything in their path no matter what.

Do anyone who have firearms even look at thing from realistic PoV? BTW I'm not a anti gun person but I'm starting to leans toward it simply because of sheer stupidity of people when it come to firearms.

Wat.jpg

If somebody with the warped mentality and suicidal determination wants to shoot up a school, no gun law of any kind can stop it.

Prevention begins with the parental or guardian upbringing.

After what happened in Connecticut, there have been tons of debates on firearms.

One thing I notice is, everybody talk about how firearms could nullify somebody with firearms easily. Just like as if they are turning a tv off with remote or something.

It seems like every time firearms is bring up, people act like they will easily shot somebody who also are armed, if teachers were armed they could stop the situation, and list goes on.

But doesn't anyone even think "what if the "good guy" got shot first?" or "what if the situation was taken by surprise?" or anything like that.

It just make me think that everybody who think firearms are answer to their problem are nothing but bunches of idiot who think that just because they have a firearms they are immortal and can stop anything in their path no matter what.

Do anyone who have firearms even look at thing from realistic PoV? BTW I'm not a anti gun person but I'm starting to leans toward it simply because of sheer stupidity of people when it come to firearms.

lol

And that isn't even all of it.

TS I'm not so sure I like the cut of your jib.

Well no matter how many massacres occur, you will always be allowed to own guns, at least for hunting on a farm or something so there's that.

Now why would you need a gun in a civilized society? to protect yourself? really? there is so much less crime in many other countries ( factoring in population difference) where there are tight gun laws as opposed to the US where in most states to my understanding you can own several weapons and even carry them on you wherever you go.

Most people that carry a gun are insecure about something, pertaining to the following facts; That isn't a negative, just may mean that you feel that you need it for protection and you very will might depending on where you live.. Or you're just an attention seeker and/or want to feel cool and that bears no relevance here. There is no other reason to need to stroll the streets with a deadly object that can inflict maximum damage.

You won't ever be able to convince such people to give their weapons up and that's probably why you'll come across die hard gun apologists. They just can never see a world without guns.

Again this loops back to the American gun culture.

If somebody with the warped mentality and suicidal determination wants to shoot up a school, no gun law of any kind can stop it.

Prevention begins with the parental or guardian upbringing.

Exactly! I have tried to think of many possible solution but in the end I just realize that it is just impossible to prevent it from happen. So in the end, it definitely start with parental or guardian upbringing.

Plus if the kid would have used a rifle, assault rifle, or other weapon instead, not many person could stop it even if they have their handgun on them.

Plus element of surprise is very signification. Even if the person in their house want to use firearm to protect themselves, they would probably get killed before they even touch their gun simply because they got caught by surprise.

A reasonably trained responsible individual with a firearm has a better chance of stopping a similarly armed mass murderer than one who does not.

Also, as evidenced by recent mass slayings, the degenerate in question chooses a target rich environment where their victims are unlikely to be armed (Schools, malls, places of worship, ect) because they don't want to be stopped. They may be crazy, but they know see the odds in their favor. Relaxing carry laws for law abiding citizens, or armed security in those places may give the would be piece of shit pause because they are cowards at heart.

A reasonably trained responsible individual with a firearm has a better chance of stopping a similarly armed mass murderer than one who does not.

Also, as evidenced by recent mass slayings, the degenerate in question chooses a target rich environment where they're victims are unlikely to be armed (Schools, malls, places of worship, ect) because they don't want to be stopped. They may be crazy, nut they know see the odds in their favor. Relaxing carry laws for law abiding citizens, or armed security in those places may give the would be piece of shit pause because they are cowards at heart.

Mass murders in one go wouldn't be possible if guns weren't so readily available, at least in advanced western society.

Murders would still occur but it would mean the difference between 2-3 deaths and 20 deaths at once.

But yeah I agree about the location, nothing you can do about that.

people need to quit creating little shits

birth control is what we need first.

Also, as evidenced by recent mass slayings, the degenerate in question chooses a target rich environment where their victims are unlikely to be armed (Schools, malls, places of worship, ect) because they don't want to be stopped. They may be crazy, but they know see the odds in their favor. Relaxing carry laws for law abiding citizens, or armed security in those places may give the would be piece of shit pause because they are cowards at heart.

Quit making sense.

Vast majority of active shooters stop killing victims when confronted by an armed response. Engaging the shooter stops them from killing others.

Well no matter how many massacres occur, you will always be allowed to own guns, at least for hunting on a farm or something so there's that.

Now why would you need a gun in a civilized society? to protect yourself? really? there is so much less crime in many other countries ( factoring in population difference) where there is a ban on carrying weapons as opposed to the US where in most states to my understanding you can own several weapons and even carry them on you wherever you go.

Most people that carry a gun are insecure about something, pertaining to the following facts; That isn't a negative, just means you feel that you need it for protection and you very will might depending on where you live.. Or you're just an attention seeker and that bears no relevance here.

You won't ever be able to convince such a person to give their weapons up and that's probably why you'll come across die hard gun apologists.

Totally agree! My grandfather carries pistol on him for most of his life... He never once pulled it out. Just go to show how pointless it is.

It is silly how people are so insecure about something for unknown reason. Hell yesterday one gun owner ask me "so if someone break into your house, do you use firearm or just wait for them to kill you?" my answer was "why would I want to try fight them with a firearm if I'm in a small room and they have element of surprise on their side? I'd just get the hell out of the house and run instead of sit and hope I can win a gun fight"
His respond? "You just think you're anti gun but in fact you are pro gun because you choose to use a tool because you say you'd open window with your hands!" I was like :rolleyes:

Mass murders wouldn't be possible if guns weren't so readily available, at least in advanced western society.

Murders would still occur but it would mean the difference between 2-3 deaths and 20 deaths at once.

What do you think about the fact that violent crime in the US is the lowest it has ever been and still decreasing?

Criminals don't follow laws. A murderer is going to find a way to murder people regardless of gun regulations. Not only that, but they won't follow the gun regulations in the first place and the only people affected by gun regulations are the law abiding citizens that wouldn't murder someone in the first place.

In my opinion the anti gun crowd are the idiots. They are willingly asking the government to strip them of even more of their constitutional rights. They're also pleading for the government to take away our ability to fend for ourselves and empower the government even further. I simply don't understand how people can be so easily manipulated into letting their freedom go. It's no wonder the US is in the state it's in honestly.

What do you think about the fact that violent crime in the US is the lowest it has ever been and still decreasing?

I think that's great.

Doesn't mean the problem is solved.
Doesn't mean it is the ONLY problem either.

These horrific mass killings have to stop though and it must be addressed.
You can't just say "oh well the world is getting better, lets just stop here, it's good enough".

Not just violence but rape is also decreasing.

Mass murders wouldn't happen if guns weren't so readily available.

Murders would still occur but it would mean the difference between 2-3 deaths and 20 deaths.

Depending on the state they aren't as readily available as you'd think.

In the state I'm currently stationed in I can't even legally posses a pistol because I'm not a resident. Never mind the fact that I'm active duty military, have more use of force training than some police, and carry as part of my job. When it comes to my personally owned legally purchased firearm from another state I can't even have it in my house because I don't want to give up my home state of residency.

But the dude abides, because I am a law abiding citizen. Thankfully I can keep my shotgun, but that's not something I can carry or would be my first choice for home defense.

Mass murders in one go wouldn't be possible if guns weren't so readily available, at least in advanced western society.

Bullshit. Airplanes and jets are far more dangerous. Look at 9/11, ironically a ton of rights were taken away because of that too. You can bet your ass if we had a couple of people with firearms on those jets, 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

Anything can be used for a weapon.

I don't think you guys understand why the founding fathers made this a constitutional right in the first place.

Back