Do firearms make people dumber?

I think that's great.

Doesn't mean the problem is solved.
Doesn't mean it is the ONLY problem either.

These horrific mass killings have to stop though and it must be addressed.
You can't just say "oh well the world is getting better, lets just stop here, it's good enough".

Not just violence but rape is also decreasing.

Find me proof on the internet that gun control doesn't work.

Even a individual who are well trained in using a firearm will still be at same odd of getting shot as the shooter themselves. What help is they may be a bit better at using the firearm, but that is easy to say until adrenaline hit them and their life are on line.

So in end it is still 50-50 chance for both side. If someone want to be able to use their firearm, they have to understand that firearm is just a tool and what make them effective is how they use it.

For example why would you just stand and try to shoot the person who is doing same as you? Why not try run and hide then catch the person from behind by surprise or something? That's call tactic. Tactic is what help.
When it come to most people they just have no idea what they'd do they just think they would pull gun out and shoot the shooter dead and thats it. Not exactly a very effective method.

BTW I think anti gun crowds are bunch of idiots because they act like as if guns are banned, it will stop everything when in fact a very determined person would simply turn to bomb, poison or other means. But I am just starting to leans toward them simply because it seems like most gun people are just a plain idiot who think shooting somebody is like playing a video game which doesn't make anything safer.

Find me proof on the internet that gun control doesn't work.

You want me to find you proof that gun control DOESNT work?

Why do you want me to do that? I'm not arguing for gun control or against it. Merely pointing out that guns are dangerous and make it possible to kill 20+ people within a very short period of time.

Bullshit. Airplanes and jets are far more dangerous. Look at 9/11, ironically a ton of rights were taken away because of that too.

Anything can be used for a weapon.

Also look at Tim McVeigh. No firearm! Hence why I have never been anti gun.

Well no matter how many massacres occur, you will always be allowed to own guns, at least for hunting on a farm or something so there's that.

Now why would you need a gun in a civilized society? to protect yourself? really? there is so much less crime in many other countries ( factoring in population difference) where there are tight gun laws as opposed to the US where in most states to my understanding you can own several weapons and even carry them on you wherever you go.

Most people that carry a gun are insecure about something, pertaining to the following facts; That isn't a negative, just may mean that you feel that you need it for protection and you very will might depending on where you live.. Or you're just an attention seeker and/or want to feel cool and that bears no relevance here. There is no other reason to need to stroll the streets with a deadly object that can inflict maximum damage.

You won't ever be able to convince such people to give their weapons up and that's probably why you'll come across die hard gun apologists. They just can never see a world without guns.

Again this loops back to the American gun culture.

Not everyone lives in a suburban or urban area. There are places where they don't have local cops or only have one or two local cops.

When I was in high school I used to go out to Lancaster PA in the middle of nowhere for a wrestling camp. The coach who we stayed with owned guns and had used them on a couple of occasions to to chase off guys who tried to steal shit from his house.

If he didn't have guns he would have waited for the state police to respond which would have taken forever. This guy had 4 kids and a wife.

I also know tow truck drivers in Philly that carry because you never know whose car you are towing. Some people don't like it when there car is towed. Same with guys I used to bounce with. I know a few guys who have kicked out patrons and ended up getting jumped after work by those patrons and their friends.

Now with that being said we can't compare the U.S. to Europe because we have different cultures and different values.

The same goes with comparing states like Vermont to Alabama and comparing NYC to a town of 40 people in AK.

This is why national gun control laws for the most part don't make much sense imo and need to be done on the state and local level. There is a lot of variable about what kind of laws or lack there of will work in certain areas.

Guns have taken lives but they have also saved lives and helped people protect their property.

I do not own a gun and I don't plan on owning one but I support any law abiding citizen who wants to own a gun.

You want me to find you proof that gun control DOESNT work?

Why do you want me to do that? I'm not arguing for gun control or against it. Merely pointing out that guns are dangerous and make it possible to kill 20+ people within a very short period of time.

Yes, I want you to find proof that gun control DOESN'T work.

Bullshit. Airplanes and jets are far more dangerous. Look at 9/11, ironically a ton of rights were taken away because of that too. You can bet your ass if we had a couple of people with firearms on those jets, 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

Anything can be used for a weapon.

I don't think you guys understand why the founding fathers made this a constitutional right in the first place.

9/11 is a one off event. Pretty sure it's near impossible to hijack a commercial jet, especially if you're some nutjob. Especially now post 9/11...

Guns can be had at every street corner. Your comparison is flawed.

Yes, I want you to find proof that gun control DOESN'T work.

I think gun control works to ratify several issues. Just depends on the degree. Why would I argue against it? I'm not anti gun btw, I go hunting and I have several rifles here in Australia.

Just don't think it's wise to say that there's nothing wrong with guns.

If I walked into a shopping mall with my hunting rifle I could get off maybe 4 shots and kill maximum 4 people, that is if I was a good shot and a psycho. I'd probably get jumped before I could load it all up.

To answer the OP, no firearms don't make peaople stupider.

It just makes their stupidity (or lack therof) more obvious.

Even a individual who are well trained in using a firearm will still be at same odd of getting shot as the shooter themselves. What help is they may be a bit better at using the firearm, but that is easy to say until adrenaline hit them and their life are on line.

So in end it is still 50-50 chance for both side. If someone want to be able to use their firearm, they have to understand that firearm is just a tool and what make them effective is how they use it.

For example why would you just stand and try to shoot the person who is doing same as you? Why not try run and hide then catch the person from behind by surprise or something? That's call tactic. Tactic is what help.
When it come to most people they just have no idea what they'd do they just think they would pull gun out and shoot the shooter dead and thats it. Not exactly a very effective method.

BTW I think anti gun crowds are bunch of idiots because they act like as if guns are banned, it will stop everything when in fact a very determined person would simply turn to bomb, poison or other means. But I am just starting to leans toward them simply because it seems like most gun people are just a plain idiot who think shooting somebody is like playing a video game which doesn't make anything safer.

On the flip side you don't hear much of the mass shooters using cover, concealment or any type of tactics because they know they're the only ones armed and have little to fear.

If an armed citizen sends one shot their way and forces them to take cover for a few seconds, that's time they're not putting bullets into soft targets and more people can escape.

It's made me smarter and more accurate.

22 out of 24 Skeet Shooting. Come at me bro.

Not everyone lives in a suburban or urban area. There are places where they don't have local cops or only have one or two local cops.

When I was in high school I used to go out to Lancaster PA in the middle of nowhere for a wrestling camp. The coach who we stayed with owned guns and had used them on a couple of occasions to to chase off guys who tried to steal shit from his house.

If he didn't have guns he would have waited for the state police to respond which would have taken forever. This guy had 4 kids and a wife.

I also know tow truck drivers in Philly that carry because you never know whose car you are towing. Some people don't like it when there car is towed. Same with guys I used to bounce with. I know a few guys who have kicked out patrons and ended up getting umped after work by those patrons and their friends.

Now with that being said we can't compare the U.S. to Europe because we have different cultures and different values.

The same goes with comparing states like Vermont to Alabama and comparing NYC to a town of 40 people in AK.

This is why national gun control laws for the most part don't make much sense imo and need to be done on the state and local level. There is a lot of variable about what kind of laws or lack there of will work in certain areas.

Guns have taken lives but they have also saved lives and helped people protect their property.

I do not own a gun and I don't plan on owning one but I support any law abiding citizen who wants to own a gun.

Excellent post, totally make perfect sense. I'm surprise the coach who chased guy off his property doesn't got shot. Where I live, there are some large properties. I would NEVER go on it simply because I don't know if the person have "shoot first ask question later" mentality or not. So if I was to steal, I'd bring firearms and shot as soon as someone come out of the house just to be sure I don't get shot.

But as for in suburban... I just don't get it. I try and try to think of how gun could save someone life but I always end up scratch my head. Only thing I can think of is if someone have a family and they cannot leave house because they have to protect the family or they live on second floor. But even if they did try to protect their family... What's to give them a better chance than the intruder who have element of surprise on their side and are more prepared than the home owner?

It just goes to show that people have already made up their minds and read only what they want to read.

re read my comment, edited it.

btw you seem to think i'm for a gun ban, i'm definitely not, merely pointing out that guns are one of the pieces of the puzzle, the puzzle being these common massacres.

On the flip side you don't hear much of the mass shooters using cover, concealment or any type of tactics because they know they're the only ones armed and have little to fear.

If an armed citizen sends one shot their way and forces them to take cover for a few seconds, that's time they're not putting bullets into soft targets and more people can escape.

Good point there. I see what you mean now. The thing is that may make sense, but honestly I think if that was the case then what's to stop the shooter from switch to long range rifle then bomb?

Also if the armed citizen got in a firefight and end up get killed, it would render them useless as well which is very likely since they would be caught by surprise and be unprepared while the shooter is more than likely to be ready for it.
Plus most armed citizen would just run out and start shooting without thinking or trying to figure thing out carefully.

re read my comment, edited it.

btw you seem to think i'm for a gun ban, i'm definitely not, merely pointing out that guns are one of the pieces of the puzzle, the puzzle being these common massacres.

Exactly. Even if gun are banned, people will find another way. That's why I have never really care much for banning it.

9/11 is a one off event. Pretty sure it's near impossible to hijack a commercial jet, especially if you're some nutjob. Especially now post 9/11...

Guns can be had at every street corner. Your comparison is flawed.

Bottom line: It's our constitutional right to bear arms.

9/11 is a "one off event"? How do you think wars were waged before we had firearms? Jesus Christ man, some of the bloodiest times in recorded history were before firearms even existed.

People will kill people, that's just life. The medium will change as technology changes, but imposing more gun laws will only affect law abiding citizens. What makes yout hink a criminal that is willing to kill someone is going to think, "Well, since they added this nifty $2000 dollar tax to possessing a firearm and made it so I have to wait two years to obtain one, I think I'll just go be a peaceful loving guy now."

This is the stupidest fucking debate you could ever have. Gun regulations only affect law abiding citizens and the criminals that are murdering people wouldn't follow them anyway. How the fuck is that not sinking in?

Firearms are here to stay, so if you're anti-gun, you're just going to have to live with it.

Back