Diego Lopes is the man to defeat Topuria

No way, Diego's striking defense is porous. Ilia most likely takes him out in under 2 Rounds. Ilia is more powerful than him as well and likely has a better chin.

He's the person with the best chance, but I also don't see him doing it. I think you have to go after Topuria early which Diego would do.

Again, I wouldn't pick him to do it, but I think Yair would be a threat to him too. Topuria isn't the guy who will get outclassed over 5 rounds, he's the guy who when he does lose he'll get finished early
If Yair could defend wrestling he would be a major threat.

Topuria has shown he's susceptible to a long range guy with good kicks, and Yair 8s by far the best kicker in the division and has height and reach over Topuria.

The problem is I think Topuria would likely just wrestle him and keep him on his back and either tko or sub him there.

Topuria has shown he's susceptible to a long range guy with good kicks, and Yair 8s by far the best kicker in the division and has height and reach over Topuria.

The problem is I think Topuria would likely just wrestle him and keep him on his back and either tko or sub him there.

My thoughts exactly.

Though Yair is tough to control for like a round, but if he just goes nuts and throws the kitchen sink any of those crazy kicks can instantly change the fight and give him a chance for a finish.

I kind of want to see it - make Yair vs Lopes if they are doing Volk vs Topuria 2 perhaps for the next shot?

Did you see Diego's face when they zoomed in during the broadcast, right after the KO?

He looked intimidated (not saying he is intimidated) - just saying, he had that look of astonishment and fear.
xIvVzDj.gif
Probably rooting for Max and was sad to see him lose like a lot of us were.

Remember when everyone thought Topuria looked like a ghost after Max KO'd Gathje? Didn't look intimidated when he knocked him out yesterday.

He might be able to utilize more takedowns which Max and Volk didn't utilize much of.

Lopes can put in work in this fight if he can weather the exchanges and grind Ilia up against the cage because the reverse isn't happening due to Ilia's boxing >> his ground game

And Ilia definitely wants to knock people out cold instead of pulling off submissions

Did you see Diego's face when they zoomed in during the broadcast, right after the KO?

He looked intimidated (not saying he is intimidated) - just saying, he had that look of astonishment and fear.
xIvVzDj.gif
yep, i noticed that too.

in his mind he was like "hmmmmm, this. is going. to be very difficult"

same with volk, he looked kinda shook when they zoomed in.

Ilia is dam good and going to be very hard to beat. But he's got some holes in his game and mainly on defense and he does get hit with big shots. Max and Volk aren't power punchers and really explosive fighters so they couldn't really capitalize on that.

A guy like Lopes is very explosive and athletic with good power in his hands. He's got IMO the best style to beat Ilia, and by beat I mean catch him with something big. He's got power, speed and he takes risks. Lopes isn't beating Ilia over 5 rounds, I don't think anyone is. But he will be dangerous early.

Max had great success being patient vs Justin. He's done at 145. Also getting up in age for a low category price fighter. Chin cracked for the first time.

Watching the fight yesterday I thought the exact same thing - if Yair can keep it at distance and use his kicks he's have a very good chance at getting the win.

but Ilia would be on his legs within the first few seconds and probably get g-n-p TKO within 3rds.

Lopes is a product of the UFC PR machine. The UFC is saying "trust us." Struggling with Ige and beating the skeleton of Ortega doesn't scream future champ.

The UFC really, really wants that Mexican market

I like Diego Lopez a lot but no, Ilia is on another level.

I agree with you. Head ko for yair is possible.

Watching the fight yesterday I thought the exact same thing - if Yair can keep it at distance and use his kicks he's have a very good chance at getting the win.

but Ilia would be on his legs within the first few seconds and probably get g-n-p TKO within 3rds.

I agree. The head kick is there.

xIvVzDj.gif

Yeah and Volk looked pretty nervous too

Back