Can Weidman Beat Cormier At 205?

He's the only person who can compete with Smith as far as egos go.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-14-at-9.31.20-AM.png

I think they make a great team.

Cari Champion makes the show even better.

Meh the only person that could carry Skip was Woody Paige

Absolutely. I think its a close fight, and I'd have cormier as a like -150ish favorite.

Weidman should have a reasonable advantage on the feet and in BJJ.

Cormier should have a size & wrestling advantage.

One thing about Cormier is he's never really shown a great top game. Which is actually common for Olympic wrestlers as top control isn't really important in international wrestling like it is in American folkstyle. He's great at tossing people, but he rarely ever keeps them there for very long. And with Weidmans elite wrestling & BJJ, I think he will generally be able to get back to his feet quickly where he has an advantage, or even sweep DC.

Very good and close fight.

Interesting fight. Weidman seems to have better striking and the better overall ground game, so I think it boils down to whether or not DC can control/overpower him against the cage or on the ground.

I'll pick Weidman.

He could, but I'd certainly favor Cormier.

Absolutely. I think its a close fight, and I'd have cormier as a like -150ish favorite.

Weidman should have a reasonable advantage on the feet and in BJJ.

Cormier should have a size & wrestling advantage.

One thing about Cormier is he's never really shown a great top game. Which is actually common for Olympic wrestlers as top control isn't really important in international wrestling like it is in American folkstyle. He's great at tossing people, but he rarely ever keeps them there for very long. And with Weidmans elite wrestling & BJJ, I think he will generally be able to get back to his feet quickly where he has an advantage, or even sweep DC.

Very good and close fight.

I don't think Weidman would have the advantage on the feet. His striking advantage in previous fights comes from his opponents fear of the takedown and vicious gnp. That wouldn't be a factor in a fight with Cormier and Cormier has quick hands.

Your right about Weidman having the BJJ advantage though. But I also think Cormier has better cardio so him throwing Weidman around over and over again might wear the Chris out quickly.

I see Weidman getting tossed around in that fight. Weidman is a great fighter, but DC's wrestling is just too good.

I support chris but Cormier is bad match up for him.

Without the TD threat to bolster his game his stand-up is basic. Add the fact that he will actually be 'the hunted' in the TD department & his striking goes completely to shit.

We saw how an average striker in Sonnen outstruck Anderson due to the wrestling threat. Imagine what an average striker in Weidman would look like while having to deal with the TD threat from a top 3 HW.

Murder.

Without the TD threat to bolster his game his stand-up is basic. Add the fact that he will actually be 'the hunted' in the TD department & his striking goes completely to shit.

We saw how an average striker in Sonnen outstruck Anderson due to the wrestling threat. Imagine what an average striker in Weidman would look like while having to deal with the TD threat from a top 3 HW.

Murder.

So Weidman's striking is only as good as his wrestling but Cormier.......

I cant write Chris off completely, i learned that the hard way.

If I asked can Weidman beat Jones most people would laugh

someone asks if Weidman can beat Cormier and a few people are saying coin flip? Wtf

I think people would be surprised at how this fight would look.

I mean.. consider how great of a wrestler Chael Sonnen looked at 185 and then look what happened against Jones and Rashad.

As far as the wrestling goes, I think Cormier vs Weidman wouldn't be much different and you'd be surprised at how easily Cormier would throw him around

I don't think Weidman would have the advantage on the feet. His striking advantage in previous fights comes from his opponents fear of the takedown and vicious gnp. That wouldn't be a factor in a fight with Cormier and Cormier has quick hands.

Your right about Weidman having the BJJ advantage though. But I also think Cormier has better cardio so him throwing Weidman around over and over again might wear the Chris out quickly.

Weidman attempted two takes in the first 12 minutes against Machida, and only had him on the ground for a couple seconds. Yet he still beat that ass standing. It's ridiculous that Weidman beat two of the best strikers in UFC history silly standing, and people still try to downgrade his stand up. How come every other good wrestler isn't out there dominating great strikers standing? Please tell me that.

What has Cormier done on the feet? Pretty much nothing. Out struck a super slow bigfoot? lulz. And in terms of people worrying about wrestling, Cormier using his wrestling WAY more than Chris, so why isn't his stand up only good because of that? Lemme tell you why, because your thinking is biased.

Based on the evidence, anyone who thinks Cormier has an advantage striking is pretty silly.

As for speed, keep in mind almost all of Cormiers striking is against super slow HW's in Mir, Bigfoot, Barnett and Nelson. Of course he looks fast against them. He didn't look very fast against Hendo or Starbucks boy. In fact both of them looked as fast or faster than him. Meanwhile The Chris out struck two of the fastest p4p fighters in MMA in Silva & Machida.

Weidman spend a ton of time striking with Silva, and Silva couldn't land a single freaking punch on him. He dominated Machida standing. It's not like he's out there spamming takedowns. He spends way more time striking than Cormier does, and has performed way better against way better strikers.

Back