Can Weidman Beat Cormier At 205?

Diggem

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think Weidman should take a couple of fights at LHW. A good match for him would be Cormier. It would be a great fight to see and find out what Weidman does when he cant come even close to taking his opponent down.

I think Cormier wins this by KO or TKO in round 1 or early round 2 but it would be interesting to see up to that point.

I have a feeling this super fight will happen at some point. Who wins?

Last edited:
It IS an intriguing match up imo.

Don't forget, The Chris is a VERY high level BJJ guy as well, so he actually might be able to catch Cormier off his back. We just never see Weidman use guard because he can outwrestle almost anyone.

I think Weidman should take a couple of fights at LHW. A good match for him would be Cormier. It would be a great fight to see and find out what Weidman does when he cant come even close to taking his opponent down.

I think Cormier wins this by KO or TKO in round 1 or early round 2 but it would be interesting to see up to that point.

was it takedowns that won his last 3 bouts? huh.

and don't worry, he won't try to take Jacare down.

I dont think so no. Especially not if Cormier dominates bones in four days

Weidman is just puzzling. He has deceptive reach, and his timing is incredible, and he's pretty good at avoiding damage. We haven't seen anyone solve that riddle yet. On the downside he's frequently injure but it doesn't seem to bother. I wouldn't call his movements slow, but they're slower than Machida and Anderson, but he seems to make up for it with his ability to time.

Cormier seems much quicker, but I think some of that is just the fact that he looks fast compared to his competition. Obviously he's a talented athlete, but age is not on his side.

Overall this is a pretty interesting fight, but i'd have to go with Weidman.

i doubt it. i can see cormier dumping weidman on his head.

i doubt it. i can see cormier dumping weidman on his head.

I mean few have the credentials of Daniel Cormier, but Weidman did place 3rd as a NCAA Divison I competitor. I wouldn't argue that Cormier's wrestling isn't better, but it's conceivable to think that Weidman will be able to stuff the take-downs.

Cormier dominates him

It really wouldn't. You need to think a little bit more about this. Just because two fighters are genuinely great in their own weight classes doesn't mean they would make a good fight, size and attributes and styles are key here. Despite what people say now, Chael Sonnen was a very, very good middleweight, a clear top 5 calibre guy, holding wins over Bisping, Okami, Marquardt and Stann in his last couple of years in that division. Rashad Evans is a very, very good lightheavyweight, a clear top 5 calibre guy, holding wins over Dan Henderson and Phil Davis in the last couple of years in that division. Logically, you think they would have put on a good fight together. And in fact, many many people (on here and in the media) were tipping Chael or expecting a war. But this rather reductive and naive logic fails to take into account that Chael was always a wrestler with very limited stand-up or BJJ skills, and has won almost every fight he ever won via stringing takedowns and utilizing top control and GnP. I really couldn't understand why anyone thought that this fighter was going to have ANY success against a physically stronger, naturally heavier, equally potent MMA wrestler. It should have been blindingly obvious that Rashad was going to win that takedown battle and dominate the bejesus out of Chael, despite the fact they were both comparable-level fighters in their own weight classes...... And anyone who can toss a 255lbs Josh Barnett around like an old mop basically cannot lose to a 185lbs fighter. Believe me, it wouldn't be a fight. As soon as DC got body to body, fight is absolutely over. The strength difference would be silly. Weidman is amazing and he could beat up MANY good lightheavyweights, but Daniel Cormier most certainly is not one of them.

Actually not sure, but I'd naturally favor DC.

That being said, The Chris is huge for MW and has ridiculous angles. I could see him beating DC in a 5-rounder if DC has to cut that weight and The Chris comes in after his easiest cut ever.

I have a feeling this super fight will happen in. Who wins?

Will re-post this from another thread on the same topic:

It really wouldn't. You need to think a little bit more about this. Just because two fighters are genuinely great in their own weight classes doesn't mean they would make a good fight, size and attributes and styles are key here. Despite what people say now, Chael Sonnen was a very, very good middleweight, a clear top 5 calibre guy, holding wins over Bisping, Okami, Marquardt and Stann in his last couple of years in that division. Rashad Evans is a very, very good lightheavyweight, a clear top 5 calibre guy, holding wins over Dan Henderson and Phil Davis in the last couple of years in that division. Logically, you think they would have put on a good fight together. And in fact, many many people (on here and in the media) were tipping Chael or expecting a war. But this rather reductive and naive logic fails to take into account that Chael was always a wrestler with very limited stand-up or BJJ skills, and has won almost every fight he ever won via stringing takedowns and utilizing top control and GnP. I really couldn't understand why anyone thought that this fighter was going to have ANY success against a physically stronger, naturally heavier, equally potent MMA wrestler. It should have been blindingly obvious that Rashad was going to win that takedown battle and dominate the bejesus out of Chael, despite the fact they were both comparable-level fighters in their own weight classes...... And anyone who can toss a 255lbs Josh Barnett around like an old mop basically cannot lose to a 185lbs fighter. Believe me, it wouldn't be a fight. As soon as DC got body to body, fight is absolutely over. The strength difference would be silly. Weidman is amazing and he could beat up MANY good lightheavyweights, but Daniel Cormier most certainly is not one of them.

Even if he gets taken down he has the ability to sub Cormier.

Back