Can Weidman Beat Cormier At 205?

So Weidman's striking is only as good as his wrestling but Cormier.......

Cormier's striking is just as basic. His wrestling is the most dominant attribute [In this fight] and as a result Weidman's stand-up would be diminished. Not Cormier's.

If I asked can Weidman beat Jones most people would laugh

someone asks if Weidman can beat Cormier and a few people are saying coin flip? Wtf

7 years on an MMA board and you still haven't figured styles make fights.

Maybe it's time for you to just give up posting.

I think people would be surprised at how this fight would look.

I mean.. consider how great of a wrestler Chael Sonnen looked at 185 and then look what happened against Jones and Rashad.

As far as the wrestling goes, I think Cormier vs Weidman wouldn't be much different and you'd be surprised at how easily Cormier would throw him around

Yeah Sonnen looked soo dominant against Bisping.

We saw Chael get finished twice by Silva. How do you think he'd fair against Machida?

The only thing that Chael and Weidman have in common is that they both wrestled in college.

Weidman is bigger, faster, stronger, has better boxing, has KO power, is a better wrestler and has better BJJ.

So do I think that a guy who's bigger and faster than Chael and is better than Chael in every aspect of fighting will do better at LHW than Chael did?

Yup.

Na, I think Cormier would have fat boy strength over Weider

I think people would be surprised at how this fight would look.

I mean.. consider how great of a wrestler Chael Sonnen looked at 185 and then look what happened against Jones and Rashad.

As far as the wrestling goes, I think Cormier vs Weidman wouldn't be much different and you'd be surprised at how easily Cormier would throw him around

Well Sonnen is one guy, so it doesnt prove much. But more importantly he didnt fight in the same MW division that Weidman is ruling right now.

Sonnen is the almighty MW wrestler because he beat Bisping (just barely) and a bunch of guys who arent even around anymore? Okay.

Now there are some really good guys in the div like Rockhold, Machida, Jacare, TRT-Vitor, hell even Tim Kennedy and Romero are imo better than Okami, Bisping, Marquardt and Stann.

Weidman attempted two takes in the first 12 minutes against Machida, and only had him on the ground for a couple seconds. Yet he still beat that ass standing. It's ridiculous that Weidman beat two of the best strikers in UFC history silly standing, and people still try to downgrade his stand up.

Weidman has ridiulously awesome takedowns and vicous gnp. Even if he only attempted 2 tds in the first 12 minutes against Machida, Machida has to be fighting with the takedowns in mind the entire fight which limits his striking.

How come every other good wrestler isn't out there dominating great strikers standing? Please tell me that.

Cause Weidman -

A. has really good striking
b. is really smart
c. knows how to take advantage of his wrestling strengths in a fight even when hes not wrestling.

What has Cormier done on the feet? Pretty much nothing. Out struck a super slow bigfoot? lulz. And in terms of people worrying about wrestling, Cormier using his wrestling WAY more than Chris, so why isn't his stand up only good because of that? Lemme tell you why, because your thinking is biased.

Based on the evidence, anyone who thinks Cormier has an advantage striking is pretty silly.

I think cormier has shown quick and accurate striking and he has KO power. Also, Keep in mind, I think Weidman would be the one fearing takedowns in a fight which would limit Weidmans striking. I don't think my thinking is biased. I like both of these fighters a lot.

As for speed, keep in mind almost all of Cormiers striking is against super slow HW's in Mir, Bigfoot, Barnett and Nelson. Of course he looks fast against them. He didn't look very fast against Hendo or Starbucks boy. In fact both of them looked as fast or faster than him. Meanwhile The Chris out struck two of the fastest p4p fighters in MMA in Silva & Machida.

Cormier looked very quick to me when he faught Hendo and Cummins. He lost a lot of fat dropping to 205. I think it makes sense that hes even quicker now than he was at HW.

Weidman spend a ton of time striking with Silva, and Silva couldn't land a single freaking punch on him. He dominated Machida standing. It's not like he's out there spamming takedowns. He spends way more time striking than Cormier does, and has performed way better against way better strikers.

Yeah the Chris is awesome. But I think the fear of takedowns definitely effected Silva and Machidas striking. Anderson always feared tds because hes horrible at getting back up.

All DC. He'd ragdoll him to the ground early and grind him down with pressure (ala Hendo) and then TKO him later on. DCs power and pressure are almost unmatchable in the heavier weight classes and he is definitely a great gameplanner. Weidman also tries to utilize pressure (moreso on the feet) but I dont think he can keep DCs pace. He took some big shots later in the fight against Machida and, IMO, if he gets tagged like that against DC he would go down.

Weidman won't make it past Belfort

tumblr_mn3qy2FGWB1qcm0m3o1_500.gif

Sonnen is the almighty MW wrestler because he beat Bisping (just barely)

He didnt even beat Bisping. Chael, good man that he is, along with just about anyone with eyes, pretty much accepted he was gifted the fight. It was a robbery.

Weidman has 2 defenses at MW. He's killin it but there's plenty to do at 185.

he'd lose to Cormier. Badly. DC too strong, I think.

Last edited:
DC is bigger? Have you not seen the pictures of those two together? DC is broad but so is Weidman, who is also taller and longer.

It's been mentioned several times in this thread that Weidman's wrestling threat is why his opponents got outstruck. It's only part of the formula for Chris' success. It has more to do with Chris' phenomenal offensive and defensive footwork, range control, his excellent timing and his high intelligence.

You'll see DC tearing it up in the clinch and in that range with his takedowns and dirty boxing but beyond that his takedowns from farther out (which he'll be at against Weidman) are something you don't see. He isn't shooting from inside kicking range and getting singles and doubles, meaning, if Weidman can keep him off/away with threat-based range control and footwork, he'll light him up on the feet. DC has to find a way to close that gap every time against a guy that has superior footwork, understanding of distance and timing. DC would be the favorite but I would be rooting for Chris and I think he'd hurt him early.

Not now as Cormier is just too damn beastly. If Weidman clears out mw first though that will take some time and DC might have lost a step by that stage it could be a coin flip.

Back