Can Weidman Beat Cormier At 205?

I got Cormier winning this one.

Would be just as 50/50 over this fight as I am Jones/DC. It's hard to pick a winner when neither man has really shown any weakness.

tumblr_mn3qy2FGWB1qcm0m3o1_500.gif

Quite possibly my least favorite actress of all time.

I feel like we need to see Weidman/Romero first. If Romero beats Jacare, he gets the shot. If he gets the shot, we'll know how Weidman does against another excellent wrestler (a world-class one at that)

I feel like we need to see Weidman/Romero first. If Romero beats Jacare, he gets the shot. If he gets the shot, we'll know how Weidman does against another excellent wrestler (a world-class one at that)

Tim Kennedy put Romero in Lala land before his team cheated with the stool. You really think Yoel has anything for Chris?

The 'great' D-Rock Brunson says "Hello" & "Got mount?!"...

ufn-fs1-8-09_Romero_Brunson_03.jpg

Tim Kennedy put Romero in Lala land before his team cheated with the stool. You really think Yoel has anything for Chris?

Romero will be 38 here at the end of April, so he's older now. But, in his athletic prime he was a complete beast on the wrestling mat in Freestyle. He's very explosive (obviously) and is a great athlete still. By the time he would (assuming he ever could) get to where he'd need to be to beat Weidman he'd be at least 40+ years old, and the age disparity would be too great.

So no, I doubt he'll ever have much if anything for Weidman. Not everybody learns at the same rate and despite him improving noticeably every fight, Weidman does this even quicker and more noticeably than probably any MMA fighter I've ever seen. He's a natural sponging up MMA.

Not saying that Davis or Bader even come close to Romero's wrestling accolades but Weidman handled both of them easily in collegiate amateur wrestling.

Imo Weidman is the ultimate well-rounded fighter. Dangerous standing or on the ground and without any flaws or discernible weaknesses in his game.

Kennedy also held Romero's gloves allowing him to land those shots in the first place, and Romero didn't cheat. The UFC's cutman put too much vaseline on his cut, so the ref told him to stay seated until it could be removed. When Big John told Romero to stand up, he did so immediately.

But hey, facts are for losers.

Not saying that Davis or Bader even come close to Romero's wrestling accolades but Weidman handled both of them easily in collegiate amateur wrestling.

Imo Weidman is the ultimate well-rounded fighter. Dangerous standing or on the ground and without any flaws or discernible weaknesses in his game.

Believe me, I'm not trying to take anything away from Weidman. He's an incredible fighter. But we haven't seen his MMA wrestling against another highly decorated wrestler - and Romero is certainly no slouch in the striking department, either. This fight would answer some questions as to how Weidman might do against Cormier - a fight I believe is winnable for both fighters.

His conditioning seems to be his only weakness. He starts to fade in the later rounds.

Nuh-uh.

Cormier via out-wrestle-fuck

Weidman would be a handfull for Jones and for Cormier.

Back