Can Ronda Rousey in 2013 Do What Brock Lesnar Failed At?

Not taking the time to read the article, but I can't stand Rousey. Can't wait for Cyborg to send her and her arm bar to sleepy land.

the "star that the UFC needs" is someone who almost 50% of fight fans dont even want to see?. i dont think so....

Wow, do people really like seeing her that much? I cant understand it, but if they do... good for the ufc. Personally im just pissed off that she stole the main event.

I have convinced a few women that they need to watch her first fight. They wouldn't be watching otherwise. That's a win for mma, and hopefully for me too ;)

"The UFC has great athletes. St-Pierre, Silva, Velasquez, Jones, Benson Henderson, etc., are well-proven, fantastic athletes. The unfortunate reality is, however, that no one outside of the MMA world, and MMA beat writers know who these stars are."

Really, I'm not so sure about this. GSP has some big sponsorship deals and is Canada's biggest and most well-known athlete (arguably) while Silva also has some big sponsorship deals. Hyperbole, I think.

GSP isn't Canadas biggest or most well known athlete. Not even close.

Even my dad knew when Brock fought and he absolutely hates MMA cause he thinks it's too violent. To think anyone's getting to Brock's level of recognition in the sport is absurd. And Brock never failed, he got sick. Think how much bigger of a star he would have been if he hadn't had to take like 2 years off due to illness. Plus his illness was what contributed to his decline, not a lack of skill. His sickness clearly weakened him and he was never the same afterwards. And GSP isn't that popular in Canada. I mean he is, but it's not what Dana and everybody on here seems to think. When I went to 154 people in Montreal didn't even know who he was, let alone that there were fights going on that weekend. And I'm from Ottawa (the capital of Canada) and can tell you that he's not that big of a deal. Him and some of the other fighters get some mention on sports shows, but they never get the kind of coverage that other sports athletes get. Brock did though

How did Lesnar fail? He got the UFC their biggest buy-rates until he had to retire.

Christ the amount of hate he gets is worse than the mindless Jones hate.

This.

While I think people do underestimate how big Rousey can be with the right circumstances...

Why exactly did brock fail? How will Rousey succeed?

Perhaps Ronda can get that double leg into an armbar on Overeem that Brock failed at?

ronda didnt bring in thousands of retarded (mostly teenage) idiots from wwe so no she'll never be as big as brock. And if cyborg drops weight that will be the end of her anyway.

Was that article written by a Sherdogger? Brock has actually outstriked legit MMA fighters while Ronda keeps doing the same thing against lower tier opponents.

I have no doubt Cyborg with her strength and constant pressure can expose Ronda.

"The UFC has great athletes. St-Pierre, Silva, Velasquez, Jones, Benson Henderson, etc., are well-proven, fantastic athletes. The unfortunate reality is, however, that no one outside of the MMA world, and MMA beat writers know who these stars are."

Really, I'm not so sure about this. GSP has some big sponsorship deals and is Canada's biggest and most well-known athlete (arguably) while Silva also has some big sponsorship deals. Hyperbole, I think.

hell yeah, gsp is known to most canadians..... im sure anderson silva, big nog and vitor would be very well known in brazil....

that statement may have fit 2005 mma but its not correct now.

Brock was HW champion and made millions. What a failure.

He's not a failure to himself, but for the UFC as a company, he didn't stick around long enough for them to really bank off him big. Similar to his stint in WWE. He was being groomed to be the next big thing and left just as his popularity was blowing up.

Back