Can Ronda Rousey in 2013 Do What Brock Lesnar Failed At?

I don't think Ronda can fill the big muscly man fetish a lot of MMA fans seem to have.

If Ronda and the UFC wants her to be really famous, they should send her to the Playboy Mansion and have the photographers shoot her naked.

The problem is even if her first 2 fights are a success after that the novelty is over. All of her fights are similar.

does that really bother people? So what if all her fights are quick armbars, all of Mike Tysons great wins were quick knockouts... and people called him one of the best of all time for it

I'd love to see anyone be able to quickly armbar their opponets, whether it's the women's 135 champion of the men's FLW/BW/FW/LW/WW/MW/LHW/HW champion

And why exactly would Rousey gain more fame than Jones, Anderson, GSP? Because she's a woman? That only means she's a worse fighter and the quality of her fights are lower...

In Brazil a lot of people who couldn't care less about MMA know who Anderson Silva is and what he does for a living.

And why exactly would Rousey gain more fame than Jones, Anderson, GSP? Because she's a woman? That only means she's a worse fighter and the quality of her fights are lower...

the funny truth is fame isn't always decided by how much fans love it, it's sometimes decided simply by how much the media covers it.

One big difference between Brock and every other MMA fighter is that he was on ESPN constantly (before it started to become more normal) At the time, you'd be lucky to see UFC fighters in general interviewed on espn more than 3 times a year (more like 2 usually) and then suddenly brock was on every show being interviewed constantly. (today post-brock and somewhat thanks to chael sonnen, it's becoming more normal to see ufc fighters but still not very often)

That type of coverage helps create new fans and I believe THAT is the main difference they're saying that Ronda might have that no other mma fighter has, the media actually wants to cover her, they want to interview her and put her on magazines and television shows.

I used to say all the time that the only reason Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez stayed famous during the years in which neither of them made any music or movies was because tabloids just KEPT COVERING THEM. Sure they might try to tell us that people were buying it and that's why they covered them.. but if they had covered someone else, people probably would've bought it.

So sometimes it's simply the media's desire to cover something that can decide how fast it grows/spreads.

Only when something forces it's way up the back channels like UFC did for years and years and gets popular enough that the media can't really ignore it anymore, are they forced to.

I honestly think the UFC would be way bigger than it already is if ESPN had played ball years ago and covered events more regularly but instead most PPV's would come and go and you wouldn't even see the results posted, not even in the 8 different sportcenters they have playing each night.

In Brazil a lot of people who couldn't care less about MMA know who Anderson Silva is and what he does for a living.

chael sonnen and dana white have both mentioned how mma is in many ways bigger in brazil than in america. or at least more mainstream

because chael said when he walks around in america, he rarely gets recognized but when he was in brazil, everyone knew who he was.

What a stupid article.

the funny truth is fame isn't always decided by how much fans love it, it's sometimes decided simply by how much the media covers it.

One big difference between Brock and every other MMA fighter is that he was on ESPN constantly (before it started to become more normal) At the time, you'd be lucky to see UFC fighters in general interviewed on espn more than 3 times a year (more like 2 usually) and then suddenly brock was on every show being interviewed constantly. (today post-brock and somewhat thanks to chael sonnen, it's becoming more normal to see ufc fighters but still not very often)

That type of coverage helps create new fans and I believe THAT is the main difference they're saying that Ronda might have that no other mma fighter has, the media actually wants to cover her, they want to interview her and put her on magazines and television shows.

I used to say all the time that the only reason Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez stayed famous during the years in which neither of them made any music or movies was because tabloids just KEPT COVERING THEM. Sure they might try to tell us that people were buying it and that's why they covered them.. but if they had covered someone else, people probably would've bought it.

So sometimes it's simply the media's desire to cover something that can decide how fast it grows/spreads.

Only when something forces it's way up the back channels like UFC did for years and years and gets popular enough that the media can't really ignore it anymore, are they forced to.

I honestly think the UFC would be way bigger than it already is if ESPN had played ball years ago and covered events more regularly but instead most PPV's would come and go and you wouldn't even see the results posted, not even in the 8 different sportcenters they have playing each night.

Good gods, finally a sensible response instead of a knee jerk reaction bitchfest.

2013 and people still don't grasp how mass media works.

This article is an absolute joke. If someone who beat Mir, Couture, Herring and Carwin doesn't belong in a UFC cage then it's time to cut 90% of the roster. Brock was as legit as they come and easily a top 5 HW before he got sick; as if losing to Cain and Overeem somehow makes you a bum.

Don't really give a shit what else this mediocre blogger had to say.

Article is piss poor.

If Rhonda's PPV does more than 400 buys the UFC can thank the heavens.

Yeah, I think you may be right in that the media will pay special attention to a outspoken female fighter. Who knows, Rousey might even become some sort of icon for women wanting to get into the fight game, since right now she's head and shoulders above all female fighters fame-wise. Although, I can't help but think that this Rousey-hype is something of a fad that will blow over. More specifically, I think another ripped, masculine, Cyborg-eaque WMMA-fighter will come along and wreck her.

Also, in my country no one knows about Rousey, so I'm probably not the best person to gauge her level fo fame.

she is unknow too .
im not sure judo medals and a few tmz crap bring that much fame * worldwide * ...

I have no interest in watching two women in the cage. Well, two clothed women. And the talent pool is too shallow to hold the interest of those who are interested for more than a few fights.

I agree with what the article is saying about Rousey as a potentially giant new star in the UFC, but so much of what the guy is saying about Brock is just not true, and in some cases contradictory.

Brock was not babied by the UFC. He was thrown to the wolves. The guy fought Frank Mir in his second MMA fight ever...and every fight after that was against very tough opponents.

Also, comparing Brock making 5 million dollars for 20 WWE appearances to JDS and Cain making 400 000 to fight in the UFC was silly. They make it sound like he's making far more in the WWE than what top HWs make in the UFC.

Divide 5 million by 20 appearances and he's only haking 250 000 a match basically. He was making WAY more in the UFC...and even a guy making 400 000 a fight base pay is making WAY more than Brock is in the WWE.

"The UFC has great athletes. St-Pierre, Silva, Velasquez, Jones, Benson Henderson, etc., are well-proven, fantastic athletes. The unfortunate reality is, however, that no one outside of the MMA world, and MMA beat writers know who these stars are."

Really, I'm not so sure about this. GSP has some big sponsorship deals and is Canada's biggest and most well-known athlete (arguably) while Silva also has some big sponsorship deals. Hyperbole, I think.

Usually when people say someone is not big or popular they mean in the U.S. as that seems to be everything to them
Gsp and Silva being massive in Canada Brazil and every where else means nothing to American as they like to say they have the best everything

Anderson Silva
GSP
Jose Aldo
Ben Henderson
Jon Jones
Cain Velasquez

MMA has more than enough 'stars'. It's a niche sport and its staying that way, wanna know why? Because it's full contact, bloody fighting inside a cage and that will ALWAYS be niche.

Rousey will barely make a scratch on the popularity of the champions listed above, so if the UFC think a woman is the one to make them 'bigger than soccer' - Dana needs a lobotomy.

Lawl.

I'm sorry, but this article is ridiculously stupid. I'm not under some veil of ignorance where I think the casual person knows the UFC champions, but really, Rousey is going to be the one that everyone walking down the street knows?

God, call me when they get desperate enough to put her in a Playboy spread. I don't want to buy it, just want to remember this stupid shit when it happens.

Back