Can Ronda Rousey in 2013 Do What Brock Lesnar Failed At?

only reason she's getting hyped is bc dana's obsessed

The headline implies that Lesnar failed at being something he never even attempted to be.

Ronda Rousey is no where near the star that Brock was, and even if she does get good exposure the division is too weak to keep interest

True, but that is because she was an over glorified stunt man before she started fighting.

"The UFC has great athletes. St-Pierre, Silva, Velasquez, Jones, Benson Henderson, etc., are well-proven, fantastic athletes. The unfortunate reality is, however, that no one outside of the MMA world, and MMA beat writers know who these stars are."

Really, I'm not so sure about this. GSP has some big sponsorship deals and is Canada's biggest and most well-known athlete (arguably) while Silva also has some big sponsorship deals. Hyperbole, I think.

I had friends who don't know sh*t about MMA but were showing me Anderson youtube videos cos they'd heard of this "badass" who was unstopable. I know loads of girls who follow GSP on twitter and facebook. These two are huge.

I also have friends who love the Diaz boys, despite not watching MMA - maybe cos of their mean mugging and pot smoking!!

Flipside. Even last year, even after the Tait fight, my two best friends who watch every UFC PPV (we're in the UK) had not heard of Ronda. Obviously they know who she is now, and I agree that she could be the face of MMA as she's confident, has fan appeal and sex appeal plus a possible dominant game (although currently one-dimensional).

I read the article and it's the dumbest thing written about MMA since Loretta Hunt said Carano vs Cyborg would be the biggest MMA fight ever.

you mean Brock the guy who was just as good of a champ as JDS? Both won the belt, defended it once, then lost it to Cain. Only difference was Brock made a crap ton more than JDS and brought in more revenue for the UFC.
your hate, it blinds you to obvious.

Except the quality of the opposition each faced to get to and win the belt couldn't be further apart.

Lose her belt and do Playboy to stay relevant?
Yeah, she could do that next year if she wanted.

No one's gonna buy a Brock Lesnar nude set are they?

Well, you sort fell in to that one. He is the most well-known athlete right now, because those guys aren't playing. Ha. There is no question GSP is one of the most famous athletes in Canada.

As a Canadian, I can honesty say GSP is no where close to Canada's most famous athlete. Nobody other than MMA fans know who GSP is in Canada.

Not much of a star if u ask me. I won't be ordering this card because of the main event and I haven't skipped a ppv in 3 years

I think the UFC dropped the ball on this one. I think they've created a division based on one fighter one personality and I think that was a mistake.

I seriously doubt Ronda will have success where Brock failed.
Fighting Cain is enough as it is but theres no way that Ronda can do anything against Overeem.

Ronda hype is maybe getting a little bit out of hand....

Lesnar was undoubtedly the most babied athlete in the history of the UFC

Mir x2 Herring Randy Carwin Cain and Overeem. Yeh Lesnar sure had it easy

Except the quality of the opposition each faced to get to and win the belt couldn't be further apart.

what does that have to do with the belt?both men won it, both men defended it once, both men lost it to Cain.

what does that have to do with the belt?both men won it, both men defended it once, both men lost it to Cain.

Actually Brock defended it twice then lost it to cain. (Won it from couture, beat mir, beat carwin, lost it to brown pride.

Brock was a bigger star than Ronda will ever be.

She'll never even be half as popular as Forrest was, let alone Lesnar.

That article is terrible, just full of complete nonsensical shit.

Ronda will never come anywhere near Brock in terms of sales. Unless the UFC push that PPV like a Jehovah's witness trying to push the message of Jesus Christ, it could be the worst selling PPV in many years.

Back