Boxing forums thoughts on Penn/Sherk

Don't blame the muscles, blame the technique. There are very muscular guys in boxing that do quite well if they are able to best fit a skill set with their body built. The rest of the regulars on here already explained what Sherk should have done.

yeah, i thought about it for a second then realized. This guys primarily not a boxer, and he looks like hes just a block of muscle. That cant make for pretty punches.

????????

If that's the case then bodybuilders can dunk from the three point line.

Worst comparison ever.

yeah, i thought about it for a second then realized. This guys primarily not a boxer, and he looks like hes just a block of muscle. That cant make for pretty punches.

He hired a boxing coach. It's either his boxing coach is quite awful or sherk wasn't able to retain the information he learned during train camp.

Holy shit there's some dumb fucks in this thread.

What was the reach difference between Penn and Sherk? I think that was a major issue that Sherk couldn't figure out.
Like KK and these other guys laid out: Penn kept Sherk out of shooting range with his reach advantage and solid jab.
My take anyhow.

i remember, manny steward saying that jeff lacy was "muscle bound". i dont know if there is any scientific proof, or if people are just talking out of there ass when it comes to the topic of muscles hindering technique.

Reach and height have more to do with it than anything else. And even then, for every single body type, you can find a World Champion Boxer who has had it.

BJ Penn did one thing in that fight - he timed Sherk to perfection. BJ would get his jab off a split second before Sherk would start throwing a haymaker, and it short circuited Sherk's power every time when it landed. After 10 minutes of that, Sherk's visibility was cut in half (at least) and he was tired and frustrated. Then the end came. Impressive performance from Penn.

He's not "too built"...in fact there are guys with his build who do well in Boxing. The guy that came to mind (as some have already seen) whom I think Sherk should look at is Chiquita Gonzales. Chiquita had that barrel type chest and relatively short arms, went to the body alot and used a lot of uppercuts from in-close.

but is there a difference between an athlete who is naturally muscular opposed to one who builds it up through a lot of weight training? in terms of punching technique doesnt the former have a better body body than the latter does for this, even if they look similar?

Can someone give me scientific reason for why muscles would prevent one from punching properly? Sherk was punching plenty properly and with great speed.

but is there a difference between an athlete who is naturally muscular opposed to one who builds it up through a lot of weight training? in terms of punching technique doesnt the former have a better body body than the latter does for this, even if they look similar?

thats the way im seeing it.

Can someone give me scientific reason for why muscles would prevent one from punching properly? Sherk was punching plenty properly and with great speed.

actually. Muscles ARE needed for punching properly. You need them if you want to punch at all.

I defy anyone to find a heavyweight with better punching techinque than Duncan Dokiware. And with that, the defense rests.

Reach and height have more to do with it than anything else. And even then, for every single body type, you can find a World Champion Boxer who has had it.

manny steward was the one who was going on about lacy and his big muscles and how it interfered with his fluidity.

sure you can find a world champion with every single body type, but do big muscles especially muscles out of proportion to one's height(sherk and lacy), really mess up one's fluidity/skills. holyfield was really muscular so was tyson, and both guy's were fast, fluid and agile...so whats the deal...is manny just talking crap like always.

Exactly,

Sherk has attained much of his muscle mass through weight-training. Guys like Tyson were just freaks of nature.

But in all honesty Sherk was pretty explosive and im not sure whether or not his body type was that much of a hinderance if at all. What he did lack was head & body movement though. He was simply awful in this category.

Yeah, Mike Tyson was a natural 220 pound, muscle bound freak. You got no idea how muh pain his mother went through in child birth.

Mesi is like, a natural big man. Born like it.

Exactly,

Sherk has attained much of his muscle mass through weight-training. Guys like Tyson were just freaks of nature.

But in all honesty Sherk was pretty explosive and im not sure whether or not his body type was that much of a hinderance if at all. What he did lack was head & body movement though. He was simply awful in this category.

Holyfield and Shane Mosely both lifted weights to grow into higher weight classes. Their technique didn't suffer much, if any...

Back