Boxing forums thoughts on Penn/Sherk

Haven't seen it yet but my buddy was telling me that Sherk's striking looked really good.

I read Ted-P's thread in Stand-up and judging by Kabuki's response I gather that BJ was using his jab to break Sherk's rhythm rather effectively?

It was surprising that Sherk didnt try to impose his will strength on Penn. He should have kept going for that takedown.

Sherk also did nicely countering, but he was punching with his arms only.

And Penn threw a pretty nice jab the whole fight.

BJs jab was great for the whole fight rather than when he fought GSP and it was only good for 1 round.

BJ took Sherk apart with very basic Boxing techniques, and showed that swarming doesn't work on someone who knows what they're doing. Sherk's range was very bad, he ended up wiffing most of his punches, especially when BJ simply subtly slipped them, BJ also threw nice combinations and an excellent 1-2 and 1-1-2 at times.

Sherk has hand-speed, but he doesn't do a lot of things well that would suit his style. He doesn't use angles, doesn't get low, doesn't go to the body, and doesn't step in with his punches.

He should have kept going for that takedown.

I don't know, I think BJ would have finished the fight faster on the ground had Sherk took him down.

BJ controlled things off of his jab & took his time waiting for the finish. Sherk looked a little uncomfortable but had a few good moments when he let his hands go.

BJs jab was great for the whole fight rather than when he fought GSP and it was only good for 1 round.

He tried.. he had to stand and get BJ thinking something else before the ground game was going to be an option.. he fought the only strategy that BJ allowed him to fight...

KK I take back everything I said about the jab in mma..bj used the hell out of it.

BJ took Sherk apart with very basic Boxing techniques, and showed that swarming doesn't work on someone who knows what they're doing. Sherk's range was very bad, he ended up wiffing most of his punches, especially when BJ simply subtly slipped them, BJ also threw nice combinations and an excellent 1-2 and 1-1-2 at times.

Sherk has hand-speed, but he doesn't do a lot of things well that would suit his style. He doesn't use angles, doesn't get low, doesn't go to the body, and doesn't step in with his punches.

I don't know, I think BJ would have finished the fight faster on the ground had Sherk took him down.

First of all...WAR Local Boy! Called my family in HI and watched the fight with all of my mainland cousins. Nice to see Hawaii represent!

I explained this exact thing to my friends last night. They responded with Sherk shoulda taken BJ down.

1. BJ has the best takedown defense in the world.

2. Its hard to take a guy down when he creates a distance like BJ did with his jab...especially one who has the best TD defense in the world. I always knew he had a great jab. Watch the Stevenson fight...he started it with a jab, uppercut.

3. Why would anyone go to the ground with BJ at 155? BJ made his name in tappin dat ass.
4. The jab is a waste of time in MMA. :icon_chee I hope that post in the ST Forum watched the fight last night.

BJ is very adept at slipping, stepping in and out of range, using his jab, throwing feints. All rather basic boxing techniques but done with excellent consistency and proficiency. I especially like the BJ uppercut counter

Sherk on the other hand doesn't not exhibit these techniques at the same level. He is poor at finding range and has weak footwork. Although he appears to have knowledge of the boxing game, his execution is poor.

BJ simply has some of the better MMA boxing skills I have seen along with Jeff Joslin (if only he had better TD defense).

BJ is very adept at slipping, stepping in and out of range, using his jab, throwing feints. All rather basic boxing techniques but done with excellent consistency and proficiency. I especially like the BJ uppercut counter

Sherk on the other hand doesn't not exhibit these techniques at the same level. He is poor at finding range and has weak footwork. Although he appears to have knowledge of the boxing game, his execution is poor.

BJ simply has some of the better MMA boxing skills I have seen along with Jeff Joslin (if only he had better TD defense).

im going to check out Joslin. dont know much about him.

He's not "too built"...in fact there are guys with his build who do well in Boxing. The guy that came to mind (as some have already seen) whom I think Sherk should look at is Chiquita Gonzales. Chiquita had that barrel type chest and relatively short arms, went to the body alot and used a lot of uppercuts from in-close.

damn...you beat me to the punch with the chiquita comment.

also Turban...Chiquita could fight on his toes if he needed. he could switch hit and he could brawl.

If anything Sherk doesn't have a plan b when it comes to striking. his stand up is not diverse.

Definitely. He has some physical skills, but he is very basic in his approach. I really thought he should go to the body if he wanted to try to wear BJ down. I don't remember one body shot except maybe in the clinch. I also thought Sherk knew that the only way for him to win was to make this as physical as possible. Instead BJ was just relaxed and picking him off with jabs.

Definitely. He has some physical skills, but he is very basic in his approach. I really thought he should go to the body if he wanted to try to wear BJ down. I don't remember one body shot except maybe in the clinch. I also thought Sherk knew that the only way for him to win was to make this as physical as possible. Instead BJ was just relaxed and picking him off with jabs.

tough to get into range of anything when you're getting popped with jab after jab.

And if Franca never got close to submitting Sherk, my guess is BJ would have a hard time submitting Sherk.

very little comparison to Franca's ground game to Penn's ground game....IMO

IMO you're missing the boat when it comes to your analogy of how fights turn out and why they turn out the way they do.

edit: look at Randy...look at Hendo. look at Rampage. wrestlers who have good "mma" hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back