Boxing forums thoughts on Penn/Sherk

Those guys you mentioned including Gonzales don't have predominantly wrestling training. And they don't come close to having a full muscle set like Sherk has. Very little comparison IMO.

Wrestling training is irrelevant. In MMA nowadays you HAVE to learn to Box, too, or some form of relevant stand-up. Since he's no kickboxer he relies on his hands, and if he's going to do that he might as well do it good.

Muscles don't matter much, he can throw fast enough, and he can throw punches correctly. It's not like his muscles make him like Maggie Simpson when she wears her winter coat.

The comparisons are about body types, which BTW Tyson and Lacy are FAR more muscular than Sherk.

And it don't matter if wrestling is irrelevant (which I disagree), it still is what Sherk does mostly. His muscles develop better for wrestling than striking, unlike Tyson or whichever boxer, although big those muscles are suited for striking. Hence it constrainshis striking.

Er, there is nothing in human physiology that suggest that muscles develope specifically for a specific thing. He's muscular, what he can do with that is up to him.

pseudo-kinesiology at work here.

All the time fucking in this forum.

Looked like amateur boxing night for three rounds until BJ decided to crown Sherk in the end with a knee.

They don't get to throw kicks in amateur boxing. I'm sorry to correct you.

I am not going to belabor with a guy suffering from anal retention. What happen throughout MOST of the night was boxing. That was the technique that was used through most of the fight and it was sloppy. End of story.

But I'll give Penn credit for using his jab. He held Sherk at bay all night. Goes to show you how some of you guys feel boxing is useless in MMA.

I am not going to belabor with a guy suffering from anal retention. What happen throughout MOST of the night was boxing. That was the technique that was used through most of the fight and it was sloppy. End of story.

Sure, it was sloppy. But that's like saying the clinch in boxing is just sloppy wrestling.

bj showed a good jab, good footwork, a basic 1/2; an presence/composure in the pocket; an that is something that seperates most mma guys from being eff using boxing in mma, they are skittish.

When swarmed they backpedal and stop punching, they cover up or just outright run; i have seen that MANY times, bj is no technician.

But he has the basics down ok, an is not scared to get off w/his punches in the face of someone pressing forward swarming; a better example of these things being done is silva v leben.

same thing if u think about it-diff is silva is a better striker-more exp-harder hitter; an leben while not the tech has a better chin and more power than sherk.

silva/penn used footwork, judicious strikes and pocket presence to pick off leben/sherk coming in before dropping the hammer w/a knee.

Seriously i think Seans sherky muscles hindered alot of his punching. Besides his jabs, it looked like he was winging everything else. It could just be his technique though. I know there may be arguments against it, but i really think the lankier ones outstrike the shorter muscle bound curl monkey.

Silly wrestler builds..

Seriously i think Seans sherky shark muscles hindered alot of his punching. Besides his jabs, it looked like he was winging everything else.

Silly wrestler builds..

Don't blame the muscles, blame the technique. There are very muscular guys in boxing that do quite well if they are able to best fit a skill set with their body built. The rest of the regulars on here already explained what Sherk should have done.

Sherk is a one-dimensional, overmatched guy that has consistently won fight based on his cardio and physique - not his in-ring skill. Anyone that thought Sherk had a chance to beat BJ Penn, the most skilled guy in the UFC p4p, is nothing short of retarded in my estimation. BJ shouldn't have been a 2.5-1 favorite, he should have been a 5-1 favorite.

Back