Boxing forums thoughts on Penn/Sherk

I've heard Sherk say a million times how he's been boxing for a long time, even in the post fight interview he was saying, "A lot of people don't know I can box, but I can box" and it really isn't true. He might be able to shadow box, but he was obviously so perplexed by BJ's simple head movement, jab and 1-2 that he had no way to counter it.

yeah i read sherk saying that before also. And i agree with you, he might have had an amateur or even pro experience, but it certainly doesnt show.

I've heard Sherk say a million times how he's been boxing for a long time, even in the post fight interview he was saying, "A lot of people don't know I can box, but I can box" and it really isn't true. He might be able to shadow box, but he was obviously so perplexed by BJ's simple head movement, jab and 1-2 that he had no way to counter it.

yeah i read sherk saying that before also. And i agree with you, he might have had an amateur or even pro experience, but it certainly doesnt show.

In a lot of MMA fights, guys can get away with throwing the same combos or counters over and over because the fight changes so much that there's not enough time to adapt what you're doing but this wasn't the case in this fight. Penn never changed what he was doing because it was working perfectly, Sherk needed to change what he was doing.

It's not like this is the first time either, Sherk did the exact same thing vs GSP as well as Diaz. He did beat Diaz, but I saw that same left hook come up short over and over again but Diaz wasn't able to capitalize the way Penn or GSP did. Sherk just seems content to throw the same combos that don't land, I have no idea why. I think he's taking his boxing as far as it can go with his current trainers/sparring partners, it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to find a boxing gym to supplement his current training because it's obvious that his takedowns/top game are top notch already. Improved boxing could have potentially won this fight for Sherk, though I think a 100% Penn is the closest to unbeatable as any MMA fighter can be.

Yeah exactly,

I dont think Sherks boxing is bad. I just think Penns boxing was just that much better than Sherks.

Sherk cant box on the outside the way he did with his body type. You cant expect to counter jab a guy who has a much greater reach advantage. He needed to get inside on Penn. Get up against the cage, get him in the clinch and maybe do some work on the body.

Sherk really needs to get into a boxing gym. I see potential in him. Hes a great athlete with great handspeed.

BJ is the best fighter in MMA p4p period, I havn't seen anyone fight like that in the UFC besides A.Silva.

''Sherk really needs to get into a boxing gym. I see potential in him. Hes a great athlete with great handspeed''.

your not serious are u

This isn't the first time anyones utilized jabs in MMA.

Anyone remember Alessio vs Sanchez?? Until Diego hopped on his back, Alessio pretty much controlled that fight with the jab. No slipping, no angles, just a jab. Diego walked right into that sheiiit.

He does have really fast hands and movement

Exactly.

I dont see how what I said is crazy.

Sherk admittedly has faults but I dont think anybody can deny that hes a good athlete with good handspeed.

I haven't read evey post, so bear with me if I repeat shit.

Sherk looked really fast early on, but wasn't as clean or accurate as Penn. Kind of reminded me of Gomi vs Pulver. The knee did the worst damage, but BJ's hands set it up. I thought his upper cut would play a bigger role. good job for BJ.

Never? False.

Tell that to Sonny Liston.

Or me, I'm 6'3 and weigh only 150. I depend on the jab... At the begining, for every 20 jabs, I probably throw just one or two rights. As my opponent gets worn down, I start to pick up the pace, though.

And beleive me, I jab to damageeeee.

I've been saying for a while that Sherk is too confident in his striking. I'm not sure what fight it was that fooled him into thinking he could standup with anyone with striking skills. His arms are what, 13 inches long? BJ used the most obvious approach against such a small opponent and Sherk was baffled.

What impressed me the most with Penn in the fight was his footwork. He got in and out while keeping great balance and distance. Sherk lost the standup because his footwork is terrible. Penn controlled the distance perfectly the whole fight, thats why Sherk was hitting air.
Too many people focus on punch technique but forget about footwork. It doesn't matter how fast your hands are or how much power you have, if your not in range it means squat.

Exactly.

I dont see how what I said is crazy.

Sherk admittedly has faults but I dont think anybody can deny that hes a good athlete with good handspeed.

too bad his fast hands never got an inch from his opponents face.

Trex arms FTL.

I've been saying for a while that Sherk is too confident in his striking. I'm not sure what fight it was that fooled him into thinking he could standup with anyone with striking skills. His arms are what, 13 inches long? BJ used the most obvious approach against such a small opponent and Sherk was baffled.

yeah i think sherk forgot. Theres a difference between being able to "punch" and being able the "box" and theres a difference between being able to "box" and being able to "fight".

He did neither well.

He's not "too built"...in fact there are guys with his build who do well in Boxing. The guy that came to mind (as some have already seen) whom I think Sherk should look at is Chiquita Gonzales. Chiquita had that barrel type chest and relatively short arms, went to the body alot and used a lot of uppercuts from in-close.

That body type may work in boxing, but since it requires fighting on the inside it doesn't work in MMA--you'd just get taken down or kneed to death. MMA striking really doesn't allow for the Gonzales/Tyson style strikers, it's better suited for the lanky guys.

That body type may work in boxing, but since it requires fighting on the inside it doesn't work in MMA--you'd just get taken down or kneed to death. MMA striking really doesn't allow for the Gonzales/Tyson style strikers, it's better suited for the lanky guys.

and thats what i mean by my last statement. Theres a difference between "boxing" and "fighting" and he should been fighting that night, not trying to outbox the boxer.

Classic example of being taken out of your game.

From what I saw Penn established his jab and the fight was basically over. Penn landed the jab over and over with the occasional cross thrown in and Sherk had no answer for it.

Wrong. A strong inside fighter combined with good wrestling would be an excellent combination for MMA.

and Sherk's reach isn't that short. Its like 68 inches I think.

Wrong. A strong inside fighter combined with good wrestling would be an excellent combination for MMA.

and Sherk's reach isn't that short. Its like 68 inches I think.

Excellent combination for a striker who can move around and keep range to knock out.
Put a wrestler on their back and ref might as well call it.

68 inches, source? The UFC prefight? Sylvia is 6'10 too!

According to prefight measurements, Penn only had 2" reach on Sherk. Must be one hell of a muscled up wide ass back on Sherk....

Excellent combination for a striker who can move around and keep range to knock out.
Put a wrestler on their back and ref might as well call it.

68 inches, source? The UFC prefight? Sylvia is 6'10 too!

According to prefight measurements, Penn only had 2" reach on Sherk. Must be one hell of a muscled up wide ass back on Sherk....

Can you repeat your post while making sense?

Back