Bo Nickal to start MMA after 2020 olympics

EmbraceTheGrind

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26424694/more-college-wrestlers-fighting-on

Bo Nickal, a 3x D1 champion and 4x All-American will start training for MMA after 2020 olympics. He states it's nice knowing wrestlers always have that path after college. Ben Askren personally believes Bo IS NOT good enough @ freestyle to go through the olympics (folkstyle to freestyle is definitely a tough transition). But Bo would certainly be the best collegiate wrestler in the UFC by a decent margin, with accolades that usurp DC, Askren and Gillespie.

Bo's style would translate well considering he's elite at pummeling (good for cage pressing) , can defend every type of leg attack and is excellent with pins (generally good pinners do excellent mat work in the octagon i.e. Askren).

Another prospect is Logan Stieber who has shown interest, he would be by far the most decorated wrestler to enter the UFC considering he's a 4x D1 champ and a world gold medalist (on the same level as the olympics).

Would love to see Nickal vs Israel or Gastelum down the road if he competes at 185 (he probably could).

Let's see if he can take a good smack to the face

lol its 2019 and u talking about 2020

Collegiate wrestling might be boring to most of you guys (shit i even get bored watching everything but the finals) but most people who have spent a week on the mat knows how insanely impressive these highlights are.

Sebastian Rivera is also interested in MMA. He has trained with Frankie Edgar before.

Collegiate wrestling might be boring to most of you guys (shit i even get bored watching everything but the finals) but most people who have spent a week on the mat knows how insanely impressive these highlights are.

yep- he's a stud. i was hoping he'd give mma a try.

Its cool they want to test themselves in MMA and all and am glad for that but these dudes should just get a good job using the degree they just earned and get a salary/pension going. Its a LOT more than fighting is ever gonna give them and once you enter a certain league of fighters, those wrestling creds dont matter as much and you will eat leather for your troubles.

Its cool they want to test themselves in MMA and all and am glad for that but these dudes should just get a good job using the degree they just earned and get a salary/pension going. Its a LOT more than fighting is ever gonna give them and once you enter a certain league of fighters, those wrestling creds dont matter as much and you will eat leather for your troubles.
ehh he might as well try it

Anyone who finds collegiate wrestling unimpressive doesn't belong on an MMA forum. Keep making quality posts @EmbraceTheGrind
A serious MMA fan has an obligation to learn as much as possible about individual disciplines, and American wrestling is one of the easiest disciplines to learn about. Thank you for sharing.

Anyone who finds collegiate wrestling unimpressive doesn't belong on an MMA forum. Keep making quality posts @EmbraceTheGrind
A serious MMA fan has an obligation to learn as much as possible about individual disciplines, and American wrestling is one of the easiest disciplines to learn about. Thank you for sharing.
thank you, i tried to put everything in lehmans terms. been so long since ive wrestled aha.

This is true but it also depends what they get their degree in. Adam Coon @ Michigan got his degree in Aersopace Engineering.. He'll be more than fine considering he went to a borderline elite if not elite school for a great major.

Ben Askren is currently making like 300-400k / fight and he owns wrestling gyms and I can assure you his presence in MMA has made his gyms more popular and profitable. UFC fighters don't get paid well but their pay has improved over the years (6-8 years ago mid and low level guys would be lucky to see 60k). Bo has the skillset to dominate @ MW especially considering the up and coming guys dont have strong folkstyle wrestling bases. Romero , Weidman and Jacare will probably be gone by the time he makes it to the UFC.

Don't follow wrestling but always find this sort of discussion interesting. So no one in the UFC has ever won 4 (or even 3) national D1 titles before? Looks like Askren had 2. I believe Koscheck had only 1, surprisingly.

Why is this in UFC forum? Shouldn't it be worldwide mma?

I posted this article a couple days ago and it immediately got shuffled to the back 2nd or 3rd page. Good article and I hope more and more high level wrestlers make their way to MMA.

Well I, for one, am pretty pumped about this.

Don't follow wrestling but always find this sort of discussion interesting. So no one in the UFC has ever won 4 (or even 3) national D1 titles before? Looks like Askren had 2. I believe Koscheck had only 1, surprisingly.
I don't think so. Plus most of those guys abandoned their base on the mat when they got in (tried to "jiu jitsu" people instead of ride/control). Most elite folkstyle wrestlers will know not to do that mainly thanks to Askren.

You always hear this shit from wrestlers (+ bjj guys), but mostly nothing comes.

Many elite wrestlers in russia dont even try MMA, cuz its not worth the risk aka money.

Barboza made 100.000$ vs Lee

CTE ftw.

Back