News Bo Nickal: I'm fighting at UFC 300 against somebody around my own position

I don't know who else would be a good test for him without feeding him to wolves too soon

I don't really get that new mentality...

GSP's first three opponents in the UFC were Karo Parisyan, Jay Hieron and Matt Hughes.

Three killers to welcome a promising prospect. No bullshit, no record padding, no gimme fights.

Shahbazyan is a possibility. Last chance to make a first impression.
Also was the win that got Fluffy into the rankings, If Kelvin bounces to Welterweight permanently the 15th spot is up for grabs.
I'd guess Caio and Bo are closest to 15th now, with Muniz, Pyfer, Kopylov just behind with Shara Bullet and Michel Pereira somewhere in that mix too.. The unranked Middleweight division is pretty stacked lol, just remembered Ruziboev exists too.

This is just me on a complete hunch expecting them to give him an unranked opponent just outside the top 15 that will take him into the rankings, "around my own position i'm interpreting as just outside the rankings".

Last edited:

GSP's first three opponents in the UFC were Karo Parisyan, Jay Hieron and Matt Hughes.

Three killers to welcome a promising prospect. No bullshit, no record padding, no gimme fights.

Karo wasn't considered a killer back then, he was 10-2 loosing to the only guy you've ever heard of and only had a single fight in the UFC. He himself was a prospect.

Jay Hieron had even less experience then Georges with only 4 professional fights to his name and it was his UFC debut.

The fight with Hughes was definitely a mismatch in experience, but at this point Georges is now an undefeated 7-0 with two dominant UFC wins. Matt was not the champion, having lost to BJ Penn just one fight prior. GSP got this fight early because the belt was vacated.

This is all of course setting aside the roster depth today is 3x what it was back then.

Damn Bo sounds like he’s got the legendary octagon jitters

Makes sense to build your prospects in reasonable ways. Could see him getting someone like Petroski, or Al Hasan, possibly Brundage

“I can only fight so many guys before I move into the top 15 and top 10. I’ve only been training in MMA a little over two years, so, is that really the best move for me soon? Do I want to be fighting a top 15 in the world on two years of experience, or do I want to take control while I can, slow it down, learn, develop and get better? I’m still a prospect, so these type of things that are things that are on my mind. I have goals and a plan, but there’s also a better way to go about it that I’m trying to be considerate of and manage.”

He told Rogan he originally wanted to fight at UFC 299 on March 9 in Miami, which is close to his training home of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla. But then the option of competing at the historic UFC 300 on April 13 materialized, and Nickal couldn’t pass on the opportunity.

“No opponent yet, but I’m going to fight at UFC 300,” Nickal said. “I’m fired up. That’s going to be fun. My goal for this next fight is whoever they give me. I’m still on my first contract, so I kind of want to fight this out and then see as it goes. I have two left, so it was four. I would like to fight this fight, then my next fight, I would like to get somebody right outside the rankings, right there in the mix. Ideally that would be like July and then – I’ll at least get one more or maybe two next year. Then after that I would obviously like to fight a ranked guy. So hopefully a ranked guy in my third fight of next year.”

If Nickal careful career planning plays out, he expects to be trouble for every 185-pound name on the UFC roster. His ultimate goal is to claim that UFC belt and be an all-time great, but he want to maximize the path there.

“There’s a lot of good guys, but I like where I’m at,” Nickal said. “I feel like I’m a tough matchup for any of these guys, and they all want to fight me now, because I’m the worst that I’ll be. You’ll hear some of these guys talk about me and they want to fight me now and I’m like, ‘That’s smart, because where I’m at right now is not where I’m going to be where I’m at in six months, where I’m going to be at in a year.'”

Source: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/12/bo-nickal-says-fighting-ufc-300-targets-ranked-opponent-2024

Where does it say "someone in his own position"? I was trying to zero in on that for clues?

He says someone "right outside the rankings", if that were true my guess would be Brad Tavares or Chris Weidman. Meerschaert or Bruno Silva would be alternate picks.

But if he's fighting another prospect, it could be anyone. Andre Petroski at best, Jacob Malkoun at worst, Zach Reese for ultimate LOL's.

Didn't he call out Pereira? If you call out the champ then you lose your ability to take it easy.

Bret screwed Bret

Probably someone like Nick Maximov or Jacob Malkoun. A guy with 10 or less fights but still around Top 50 or 60.

Back