Bo Nickal to start MMA after 2020 olympics

Should we include Karelin in this discussion with his 3 gold medals at the olympics and 1 silver medal?

If you mean the pro wrestling match he had with Maeda, I don't count that as a fight.

Another prospect is Logan Stieber who has shown interest, he would be by far the most decorated wrestler to enter the UFC considering he's a 4x D1 champ and a world gold medalist (on the same level as the olympics).
Im a huge Stieber fan but this isn't true. His resume is incredible but you have to put Romero ahead of him with his shit ton of world medals and Olympic silver. Stieber won his world title in 2016 when they held a world championship for non-Olympic weights in addition to the Olympics. So many big players went for the Olympics and not this world championships. Especially domestically, winning the spot was much easier. Don't get me wrong, his world title is absolutely legit considering who entered, but its not quite on par with other world titles. Still, if he entered the UFC he'd be right up there with the top amateur wrestlers ever to compete in the octagon.

Olympics are considered more prestigious because they happen once every four years, as opposed to world championships which happen every year skipping olympic years. Also Olympics have less weight classes so each medal is more competitive.

That being said they are bassicly equal in value, at least in the wrestling world. Both have the highest level of competition and are held above all other tournaments as the ultimate internstional wrestling achievement.
You also have to consider that
A. The qualification process for the Olympics is tough.
and
B. The Olympics tends to bring out all of the domestic studs. Even those who took the previous few years easy.

If i recall correctly, i know Ben Askren also won the Schalles trophy for most pins in a single season twice. Would you happen to know (or know where to find) precise numbers for the two? (Number of matches participated in vs number of pins gained, in particular.)

I'd have to do some digging but I'm sure I could come up with numbers. Askren had 91 career pins which is astronomically high. Bo finished his career with around 60 and he was a very prolific pinner.

You also have to consider that
A. The qualification process for the Olympics is tough.
and
B. The Olympics tends to bring out all of the domestic studs. Even those who took the previous few years easy.
Ok, I still like to think of them as simmaler but the Olympics is probably a good amount more important. Also was not aware that the world championships were held durring olympic years featuring non olympic weight classes. Those are obviously not as important.

Im a huge Stieber fan but this isn't true. His resume is incredible but you have to put Romero ahead of him with his shit ton of world medals and Olympic silver. Stieber won his world title in 2016 when they held a world championship for non-Olympic weights in addition to the Olympics. So many big players went for the Olympics and not this world championships. Especially domestically, winning the spot was much easier. Don't get me wrong, his world title is absolutely legit considering who entered, but its not quite on par with other world titles. Still, if he entered the UFC he'd be right up there with the top amateur wrestlers ever to compete in the octagon.
hmm , folkstyle wrestling has been more successful in mma as a base and Stiebers accolades are as good as it gets in that realm . He showed he can compete at an elite level in folk and freestyle . Freestyle wrestling overrated af in mma , their mat work leaves a lot to be desired . Now I do know if Snyder enters mma which he plans on it he will be the most decorated overall .

Ok, I still like to think of them as simmaler but the Olympics is probably a good amount more important. Also was not aware that the world championships were held durring olympic years featuring non olympic weight classes. Those are obviously not as important.
More important yes but a world gold medal is very close to that especially in the terms of skill it takes to get one . Snyder was number 1 p4p for a while because of what he did not only in the Olympics but the world .

If i recall correctly, i know Ben Askren also won the Schalles trophy for most pins in a single season twice. Would you happen to know (or know where to find) precise numbers for the two? (Number of matches participated in vs number of pins gained, in particular.)
well, askren's is pretty much all on Wikidpedia, Nickal's you can find it through the penn state autobiography and then have to google a little because I don't think his 2018-2019 year is up yet on the site but he went unbeaten if i'm not mistaken

Askren never wrestled in the Big 10. Missouri is Big 12. BIG difference.
There is, and i may have misspoke a little, but it's not like OK State doesn't have finalist every single year. Also, Missouri is Mid-Atlantic in wrestling now I believe. But Ok State, Nebraska, Missouri were all Big 12 when Askren was wrestling and they are all still top 10 programs(based upon team results this year). Though I will admit to having more knowledge in international wrestling than college, growing up in Eastern Europe most my life before moving to the US 8 years ago.

well, askren's is pretty much all on Wikidpedia, Nickal's you can find it through the penn state autobiography and then have to google a little because I don't think his 2018-2019 year is up yet on the site but he went unbeaten if i'm not mistaken

This year, Bo was 30-0 with 27 bonus point wins and 18 pins. He only had 3 career losses, one to Nate Jackson and 2 to Myles Martin. Went undefeated his last 2 seasons.

This year, Bo was 30-0 with 27 bonus point wins and 18 pins. He only had 3 career losses, one to Nate Jackson and 2 to Myles Martin. Went undefeated his last 2 seasons.
Askren went undefeated his Jr and Sr years too. Sure he had 8 losses to 2 people, that said, he competed as a true freshman where most of those losses came, and I believe he beat Pendleton as well once of those years. Bo pretty much got an extra year to grow and get experience as a redshirt freshman and went 13-2 during that year as an unattached wrestler. So probably would've had a few more L's if he did.

Sherdog: where you can win a wrestling world title and still get shit on for it.

Sherdog: where you can win a wrestling world title and still get shit on for it.

Shitting on is always relative; it may be true in absolute terms that a guy on a given level may be far away from huge numbers of everyone else in the whole wide world (when including non-athletes) who aren't at that level (even for something as 'low' as regionals); generally speaking though, criticism almost always carries the unspoken modulation of '...relative to other guys on his level'.

Last edited:
Nice, I am interested to see if Sadulaev will try MMA after the 2020 olympics. Were Sadulaev to become champion at this year's worlds and the olympics in 2020, I am not sure if he would cross over. But he would be the most decorated wrestler ever to cross over. He would make Henry Cejudo's accomplishments in freestyle look somewhat average.

Go to wrestling boards and see what they have to say about Steiber's title. Like I said before, yes, he won it all but it was during an Olympic year at a non-Olympic weight. The majority of the heavy hitters who would have gone 61kg had it not been an Oly year either went 65 or 57 so they could compete at the Olympics. Logan tried to go 65 for the Olympics but Molinaro took the spot.

Khinchegasvili, Aliyev, Asgarov, Higuchi, Dubov, and Gomez are all 61kg guys who wrestled at either 57 or 65 for the Olympics and would have contended in a non-Olympic year. It's like all the Americans who won the 84 Olympics when none of the commie countries competed. Yes, they won but it's not the same.

Sebastian Rivera is also interested in MMA. He has trained with Frankie Edgar before.
His father, Steve Rivera, has been training MMA fighters for a long time. Probably would be a relatively smooth transition for Sebastian.

The heavyweight from Penn State who won in 2019 is going into MMA as well. Cant recall his name but he bulked up from 197 to about 250 and beat Steveson twice.
Really? Cassar? Very interested to see how he does.

Askren went undefeated his Jr and Sr years too. Sure he had 8 losses to 2 people, that said, he competed as a true freshman where most of those losses came, and I believe he beat Pendleton as well once of those years. Bo pretty much got an extra year to grow and get experience as a redshirt freshman and went 13-2 during that year as an unattached wrestler. So probably would've had a few more L's if he did.

Pretty sure Askren redshirted

Wasnt pico supposed to be the next best thing?

Nice, I am interested to see if Sadulaev will try MMA after the 2020 olympics. Were Sadulaev to become champion at this year's worlds and the olympics in 2020, I am not sure if he would cross over. But he would be the most decorated wrestler ever to cross over. He would make Henry Cejudo's accomplishments in freestyle look somewhat average.
Would be groundbreaking in a couple ways. Hed be the most decorated wrestler in MMA history and the 1st of the Russian greats to come on over. As far as I know.

Back