Bar

That's not an excuse at all.

Barao is acknowledging that TJ's power and TJ's ability to land that power is of way higher level than he anticipated. It's not like he willingly ate that shot to "test his power" or anything, he got outstruck, and rocked because of it.

In the next fight, Barao will have to come out with a different approach altogether, or else... well, he already knows what will happen.

I'm seeing a lot of this^^ and I just don't understand it. Barao didn't get outstruck for 5 rounds, he got outstruck for 1/2 a round and was a punching bag afterwards. He doesn't need to change is approach, TJ had no fear or respect of Barao's power since Barao didn't have any power after the knockdown. The only thing Barao knows is that he can't take a haymaker on the button....any fighter knows this.

After TJ landed the haymaker in the first round, the fight was over.

This fight is very similar to JDS vs Cain #1. Cain didn't need to change anything. All he needed to do is not take a big shot on the button. I'm pretty sure that's every fighters goal.

I hope this doesn't turn into an excuse for his fans.
Like being punched in a fist fight is an "excuse" for why you lost the fist fight.. (see Junior vs Cain 2, or 1 for that matter)

I hope this doesn't turn into an excuse for his fans.
Like being punched in a fist fight is an "excuse" for why you lost the fist fight.. (see Junior vs Cain 2, or 1 for that matter)

Only Sherdoggers will turn it into an excuse. And then use that twisted logic to bash Barao.

It's already happening.

Right? That he and JDS's corners let them keep fighting in that state is an embarrassment. Which sucks cause I like both guys a lot and will hate to see them slurring like Chuck does now.

If their corner stopped the fights after the first round you'd be whining like a baby that it was premature.

What are people going to do when they realize that Brazilians aren't making excuses when they lose any more than anyone else?

The fight was over after that punch. As far as I'm concerned Barao was effectively KO'd at that point, and everything after that point was just an opportunity for TJ to show his stuff off against a highly regarded opponent in brutal fashion.

When Renan dropped in that 1st round, I thought for sure he was asleep falling down.

Barao must be half-brazilian. No excuse.

Credit to barao, no bullshit and no excuses.

Thanks for the link. Good read.

Barao overlooked this kid and paid for it with his belt. TJ wont have the element of surprise next time around and will give that belt back to its rightful owner.

barao didn't look like he overlooked tj to me. barao looked like he was fighting someone who had better movement and was faster than himself.

dillashaw is a better fighter. that's all there is to it.

I'm seeing a lot of this^^ and I just don't understand it. Barao didn't get outstruck for 5 rounds, he got outstruck for 1/2 a round and was a punching bag afterwards. He doesn't need to change is approach, TJ had no fear or respect of Barao's power since Barao didn't have any power after the knockdown. The only thing Barao knows is that he can't take a haymaker on the button....any fighter knows this.

After TJ landed the haymaker in the first round, the fight was over.

This fight is very similar to JDS vs Cain #1. Cain didn't need to change anything. All he needed to do is not take a big shot on the button. I'm pretty sure that's every fighters goal.

I don't think its quite as extreme as that, JDS was really hanging on for the whole rest of the fight after that knockdown in the first, he only became slightly competitive very late when Cain started to slow down.

Barao was clearly hurt by the knockdown but I wouldn't say he was as out of it as JDS was against Cain, he was still pretty competitive in the second.

The big thing to consider of course is can Barao do anything different? Cain showed that he was more than capable of repeating that 1st round several times over as JDS had no plan B. Barao does seem to have more options here, he's shown he has good lowkicks and obviously has more of a grappling game to mix up.

speed in the hands is more important than power in the hands when it comes to dealing damage. you dont need bricks for hands or tons of power to knock people out. you do need speed though.

He has his coach making them for him.

If you manage to get your head out of your rear section for a second (approriate av btw), you'll see his coach said the same thing (credit to TJ, the knockdown did Bar

Not going to lie...would have been awesome if he finished it after that knock down ^^

barao didn't look like he overlooked tj to me. barao looked like he was fighting someone who had better movement and was faster than himself.

dillashaw is a better fighter. that's all there is to it.

Pretty much. Barao fought like he always does. It's just that few people seem to have been aware of the holes he did have, and the skills Killashaw possesed. People get blinded by streaks and ranking.

Exactly what a lot of folks on Sherdog and myself were thinking at the time. That first knockdown had a severe impact on his ability to compete effectively.. which is exactly what you want as an MMA fighter.

Good on him for giving credit where credit is due.

Back