Arum says Lomachenko vs Walters is done, pending broadcast deal.

Thats overstating it. Its a good fight for the hardcore fans. Not something thats going to set the world afire. No one outside of people who watch HBO know who Walters and Lomachenko are.
Its almost a travesty Loma couldnt build any fanbase or momentum after fighting on boxing's biggest PPV undercard, is that Loma's problem? or promotional problem? I tend to go with the latter, Arum is notorious for not building up a fighters fanbase which is something Loma lacks, so I dont entirely disagree with you but HBO bends towards and backwards for Arum and lets not begin with Walters

Last edited:
HBO isnt willing to show this fight because of their budget cuts.

IMO take a huge payment from Haymon and put this on the April NBC card.

Loma schools Walters
Probably. I think people made Walters out to be something he really wasn't when he smacked around a used up Donaire and Darchinyan. He's a good fighter but I don't think he's the killer that those fights made him look to be.

Probably. I think people made Walters out to be something he really wasn't when he smacked around a used up Donaire and Darchinyan. He's a good fighter but I don't think he's the killer that those fights made him look to be.

Yes. Walters was never imo a top tier guy. He's good but not along the lines on the Elite. He's just a big bully-ish fighter.

He might not be the destroyer some saw him as, but I can't see him being an easy outing for anyone at 130. He has a very good jab from the outside to go with his very long reach, and he's a well above average inside fighter who can keep a high volume throughout the fight while carrying his good power. That's not easy to deal with.

He might not be the destroyer some saw him as, but I can't see him being an easy outing for anyone at 130. He has a very good jab from the outside to go with his very long reach, and he's a well above average inside fighter who can keep a high volume throughout the fight while carrying his good power. That's not easy to deal with.
I bet Lomachenko has a pretty easy time with him.

I bet Lomachenko has a pretty easy time with him.

Maybe, maybe not. Lomachenko has shown nearly enough against top competition for me to be that confident in him against someone like Walters.

Loma schools Walters
Not happening. This is one of the most competitive fights of the year. Nobody is having an easy time with anybody here. I'm picking Walters here, in what I see as a 50-50 fight.

He has really good timing too IMO, catches guys moving in well. That's gonna be a big problem for Loma, who relies a lot on in and out movement. Solid defense as well to match his good chin.

Yes. Walters was never imo a top tier guy. He's good but not along the lines on the Elite. He's just a big bully-ish fighter.
He absolutely is a top fighter. Jay already did a great job outlining his abilities. The dude can punch, is strong, has a good chin, has a strong jab, his inside game is pretty damn good. A skilled pressure fighting juggernaut like Walters is HELL for anybody; especially since Loma is coming right up from 126.

The only guy I'm picking over Walters confidently at 130 and under is Uchiyama. Rigo and Loma I have at 50-50, maybe slightly favoring Walters. Vargas I give something of a shot to, but after seeing Miura employ a very basic pressure strategy take him to war and beat him up, I'm not confident in that pick at all (this is assuming Mikey Garcia never returns). I wouldn't be shocked if Walters could beat Linares, given his shaky chin.

That's the long and the short of it as my guess...seems odd given the longstanding relationship between TR and HBO

Likely. Lomachenko & Walters are probably going to command at least $2 million in combined purses, and when you factor in the bouts underneath that are shown and then factor Arum's cut, HBO might be asked to pay well above $3 million in licensing fees. Is that really worth it to them for two guys who have combined to headline one HBO card and that one show when Walters headlined was one of the least watched boxing events they ever did (the co-main on that card had more viewers than did Walters in the main)? It may be a great fight for boxing fans, but it's also a fight that HBO would probably be very lucky to grab even average viewership for their boxing shows.

Likely. Lomachenko & Walters are probably going to command at least $2 million in combined purses, and when you factor in the bouts underneath that are shown and then factor Arum's cut, HBO might be asked to pay well above $3 million in licensing fees. Is that really worth it to them for two guys who have combined to headline one HBO card and that one show when Walters headlined was one of the least watched boxing events they ever did (the co-main on that card had more viewers than did Walters in the main)? It may be a great fight for boxing fans, but it's also a fight that HBO would probably be very lucky to grab even average viewership for their boxing shows.

Unfortunately Loma falls into this sad reality...has a potential high profile fight (for the division, for the sport) but it has no heat yet fetches a pretty penny....hardly going to yield a HBO subscription

No, Lomachenko and his team said no Walters because he missed weight and didn't have a title.I posted quotes from his team saying exactly that and you ignore them. They have made the fight because Walters looked beatable in his last 2 fights.

Oct 2014 Walters ducking Lomachenko when they were both belt holders in the same weight class long before what you're talking about.

http://www.boxingscene.com/nicholas-walters-prefers-gonzalez-over-lomachenko--83422

Currently Walters is doing it again by asking for 1 million to fight Vasyl which is ridiculous when looking at his previous HBO viewer numbers. Lomachenko on the other hand has made multiple concessions to fight him by being willing to move up to 130 and taking two pay cuts during negotiations Walters so can have a bigger purses.

It's obvious to any objective observer who wants to make the fight and who doesn't.

Oct 2014 Walters ducking Lomachenko when they were both belt holders in the same weight class long before what you're talking about.

http://www.boxingscene.com/nicholas-walters-prefers-gonzalez-over-lomachenko--83422

Currently Walters is doing it again by asking for 1 million to fight Vasyl which is ridiculous when looking at his previous HBO viewer numbers. Lomachenko on the other hand has made multiple concessions to fight him by being willing to move up to 130 and taking two pay cuts during negotiations Walters so can have a bigger purses.

It's obvious to any objective observer who wants to make the fight and who doesn't.
I posted quotes from Lomachenko's team that explicitly stated they didn't want Walters. Thats good enough for me.

Two mediocre showings from Walters in a row and now they want him. Make of that of you will. Why the change of heart?

The ball is definitely in Walters' court now
Come on. You know thats empty talk. If Lomachenko will pay him from his own purse, then they could have negotiated a more even purse for the two officially.

Apparently Loma went to his promoters and asked if he could legitimately make that offer before he tweeted it. This is a good fight between two top young fighters. I think you have to favor Loma's experience and boxing acumen here but Walters is big, well rounded, and is a tough test to get past. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart.

Come on. You know thats empty talk. If Lomachenko will pay him from his own purse, then they could have negotiated a more even purse for the two officially.

Lomachenko probably feels like he will win and not have to pay anyway.

Lomachenko probably feels like he will win and not have to pay anyway.
I agree, thats why they decided to try to make the fight now instead of when Walters was looking like a destroyer.

Back