Are we thoroughly educating American kids how to not get killed by police?

Personal observation of working with the young for the past almost 20 years.

Dare was seen as in school vacation even in my day, kids are sexually active and unsafe at younger and younger. When I'm in the poorer neighborhood's it's pretty clear the proper help and education isn't getting there.

Sex education and DARE are both more than twenty years old though.

Anyway, I just don't understand why we have a system that has those programs but not "how to survive police encounters" programs. It doesn't make sense to me to have those two but not the latter.

Yeah I really don't get it. It's a sickness. The number of "WELL JUST DON'T ATTACK COPS AND YOU WON'T GET KILLED!" comments this thread is getting is illustrative of something very weird happening in that kind of culture, since these replies have nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. They're defending the status quo so aggressively that they're not even checking to see if they're making sense anymore.

Which I why I included that link. Read up on the French police nationale. They seem to have less instances of abuse of power, corruption and the works that we in America have or what say Russia deals with.

My biggest awakening regarding the police system was me seeing good college kids abused and harassed by police and beaten/arrested if they offer any criticism of the police. We need a system above the police forces watching them because they are out of control.

Anyhow as you know I am not a huge fan of Bernie Sanders but if he was to become President id hope he helps address this issue. Because if he doesn't then that only leaves Clinton or someone like O'Malley, because sure as hell a Republican won't address the issue. Already most of the Republican candidates have downplayed police abuse.

Which I why I included that link. Read up on the French police nationale. They seem to have less instances of abuse of power, corruption and the works that we in America have or what say Russia deals with.

My biggest awakening regarding the police system was me seeing good college kids abused and harassed by police and beaten/arrested if they offer any criticism of the police. We need a system above the police forces watching them because they are out of control.

Anyhow as you know I am not a huge fan of Bernie Sanders but if he was to become President id hope he helps address this issue. Because if he doesn't then that only leaves Clinton or someone like O'Malley, because sure as hell a Republican won't address the issue. Already most of the Republican candidates have downplayed police abuse.

You certainly don't win votes in the GOP by saying that police need to be less corrupt and abusive, that's for sure. I think Bernie's most likely to push in real ways for real changes, but even if he gets elected he won't be able to do it alone. This system seems so tightly dug in and so aggressively defended. I'm a huge optimist, but even I have a hard time seeing our current policing system making any real changes any time soon.

Sex education and DARE are both more than twenty years old though.

Anyway, I just don't understand why we have a system that has those programs but not "how to survive police encounters" programs. It doesn't make sense to me to have those two but not the latter.

Well let's think about that, who would teach it? A lot of folks wouldn't trust a policeman to do it. And a lot of folks wouldn't trust an "activist" to do it.

You see it with sex ed, there are constant clashes about how it should be taught, when, and by whom.

Well let's think about that, who would teach it? A lot of folks wouldn't trust a policeman to do it. And a lot of folks wouldn't trust an "activist" to do it.

You see it with sex ed, there are constant clashes about how it should be taught, when, and by whom.

Sure. None of that stops it from getting taught, though. I don't think it would need to be taught by police, though of course they'd have to be involved in developing a program for not getting killed by them.

Well this goes to the sentiment that I believe most of us have here, that this generation of parents aren't doing a great job.

It's the same with the inappropriate responses that are happening to a lot of today's new stories and social issues.

Not that this has never been an issue before, but I think it's an area we can and should improve

I disagree.

Kids today, by almost every measure, are better than every prior living generation.

When it comes to teen pregnancy, crime, and graduation rates, today's children are superior.

Well since only about 0.0000001% of kids are killed by police, I'd say we're doing a 99.999999% effective job of teaching them how to avoid the cops-killing-kids menace.

Chapter 1: Be White
Chapter 2: Do not be found in or near a moving or parked car...
Chapter 3: Upon being approached by an officer, verbally fellate said officer

1.No

2.No

3.No

What thread starter rightfully doesn't realize is that since the "counter culture" revolution in this country we have citizens in the 40-15 year old age range that were not disciplined "spare the rod ruin the child" Dr.Spock replaced the bible. Parents would go to jail if seen disciplining their child. Children were taught in liberal dominated public schools. If you get beat (spanked) at home you can call the police to have your parents arrested for "child abuse"

I 've seen with my own eyes countless instances of rude, bratty ,disrespectful behavior, and profanity used by children towards their parents in public settings. I've heard teenagers being so disrespectful and snarky with their parents that if had ever formed my lips to say some of the things I've heard kids say to parents when I was a kid............. I would not be here typing this response. because my mom would have snuffed me out.

I was taught to say yes sir yes mam respect your elders ,teachers, pastor. And though my mom never expressly told me to respect a police officer, or firefighter. my home training and manners which carry over to my adult life knows that.

now I typed all that as a connection to what you're seeing in this entitled ,bratty, disrespectful to authority, spoiled, in African Americans case many times if not most fatherless home. have become adults that have ZERO impulse control, ZERO control or coping mechanisms that should have been instilled through an upbringing of discipline for unwanted behaviors and speech. They then take these same disrespectful idioms, and body language (pride) into pedestrian Law enforcement encounters and end up arrested, tazed or shot.

simply if you were never MADE to respect your parents or your elders. In your head why would you have to respect a Police Officer? If you were allowed to verbally disrespect and curse out your parents. Cussing out or becoming enraged at a Police officer that is a behavioral control mechanism, will infuriate you, raise your pride and you won't listen to him.

The family structure esp in the Af AM community has been destroyed. These same issues are spreading to the white community. and when its all said and done Satan's master plan of destroying the family first, which in turn destroys personal conduct, and speech accountability, basic manners, and morality go out the window.Then the country is destroyed. because what use to be right is now wrong and what use to wrong is now seen as right.

so you get a kid like Mike Brown that has no problems with calling a cop a pussy then fighting with him.

Last edited:
1.No

2.No

3.No

What thread starter rightfully doesn't realize is that since the "counter culture" revolution in this country we have citizens in the 40-15 year old age range that were not disciplined "spare the rod ruin the child" Dr.Spock replaced the bible. Parents would go to jail if seen disciplining their child. Children were taught in liberal dominated public schools. If you get beat (spanked) at home you can call the police to have your parents arrested for "child abuse"

I 've seen with my own eyes countless instances of rude, bratty ,disrespectful behavior, and profanity used by children towards their parents in public settings. I've heard teenagers being so disrespectful and snarky with their parents that if had ever formed my lips to say some of the things I've heard kids say to parents when I was a kid............. I would not be here typing this response. because my mom would have snuffed me out.

I was taught to say yes sir yes mam respect your elders ,teachers, pastor. And though my mom never expressly told me to respect a police officer, or firefighter. my home training and manners which carry over to my adult life knows that.

now I typed all that as a connection to what you're seeing in this entitled ,bratty, disrespectful to authority, spoiled, in African Americans case many times if not most fatherless home. have become adults that have ZERO impulse control, ZERO control or coping mechanisms that should have been instilled through an upbringing of discipline for unwanted behaviors and speech. They then take these same disrespectful idioms, and body language (pride) into pedestrian Law enforcement encounters and end up arrested, tazed or shot.

simply if you were never MADE to respect your parents or your elders. In your head why would you have to respect a Police Officer? If you were allowed to verbally disrespect and curse out your parents. Cussing out or becoming enraged at a Police officer that is a behavioral control mechanism, will infuriate you, raise your pride and you won't listen to him.

The family structure esp in the Af AM community has been destroyed. These same issues are spreading to the white community. and when its all said and done Satan's master plan of destroying the family first, which in turn destroys personal conduct, and speech accountability, basic manners, and morality go out the window.

so you get a kid like Mike Brown that has no problems with calling a cop a pussy then fighting with him.

Whether I "realize" your opinion or not, nothing you wrote in your whole entire post is relevant to my OP. Please reread and try again.

Well since only about 0.0000001% of kids are killed by police, I'd say we're doing a 99.999999% effective job of teaching them how to avoid the cops-killing-kids menace.

I get so happy on those rare occasions when someone makes an actual point on this thread. This was not one of those occasions.

It just ticks me off that we're not formally acknowledging that this is the type of society we live in. We're telling civilians not to hesitate to call the police, that they're all just good people who want to help, part of the community etc., but unofficially we're also being told that we'll get killed if we don't follow the unofficial script of how we're supposed to behave with police officers. If we've all decided that we live in a society where police can kill you for reaching for your ID too quickly, then we should formalize that and teach children that that's the country they're inheriting. Make it all official and above ground.

Here is my thoughts from the police side of this.

People are not near as educated on their "rights" as they believe they are. This leads to lots of conflict with the police.

You have a fourth amendment right against unlawful search and seizure, but that has been defined numerous times by the Supreme Court. People bitch and resist against being patted down by officers, the court has affirmed numerous times that it is legal for officers to pat you down for weapons during any detention. See Terry vs Ohio.

People also want to tell and scream about a traffic ticket at the car door. You are signing a promise to appear. Which means you get your day in court to contest the citation. Cursing and yelling about it at the scene doesn't do anyone any good.

When an officer tells you that you are being detained and you try to pull away, run away, tense up, etc. you are probably going to get taken down with some force. Violently resisting will up the level of force. Additionally if you make what the courts have recognized as a "furtitive movement" especially towards your waistband area you may get shot or tasered.

Lastly you don't have to be deferential or groveling to an officer, but you should be polite. Telling me "fuck you" calling me "bro" or some other nonsense doesn't win you any favors.

I deal with an unbelievable amount of shit daily at work. And people whining that I signed up for it just sound idiotic. When you sign up to be a police officer you don't just sign up saying "if i get shot, stabbed, beat to a pulp, etc. it's OK, I chose that as part of my job." And I sure as hell am not going to get shot to give a criminal the benefit of the doubt first.

Last edited:
Kids aren't getting the proper education. Look at the schools it looks like mating zoos. :icon_chee No wonder why they bad mouth and trash talk. I always hear people smack talk anyone and everyone whenever they feel they are loud as well in pitch tone of voice. Avoid all people that have a voice that is twice as loud as normal when speaking they are volcanoes about to erupt. The key is not to spout out loud or even quiet hater like comments. The increase in tone of voice makes humans go into a defensive mindset and they get to a hostile level so keep cool cops and teens. Honestly both cops and teens are not well educated at all.

Last edited:
On every one of those videos showing police murder and brutalize civilians there are tons of comments saying the civilian deserved it because they didn't listen to the cop, because they made a sudden movement, because they didn't get their hands up fast enough, because they didn't act right, like this should just be common sense. But is it? Like, do they teach kids classes on this in school? I was home schooled so I don't know. Are all children in America being thoroughly educated how to avoid being killed when interacting with police in this country? Cuz when I see footage of a guy get his guts filled with bullets just cuz he reached for his ID faster than the cop would've liked, it really doesn't look like the guy suspected he was doing something that could get him shot.

It sounds to me like actually taking measures to make police better at de escalating situations without violence has been pretty much ruled out as a possibility by everyone in charge of such things. So are we doing everything we can to make 100% sure that 100% of civilians are 100% aware of how not to get killed when interacting with police officers at any time? If that's the type of society we're choosing to live in, where a civilian doing the wrong thing at the wrong time can be an instant death sentence, I think we should at least make very, very sure our children have been thoroughly educated on how to survive in such a society.

If people were trained in interacting with police as well as you are with rhetoric then I expect there would be fewer deaths.

Here is my thoughts from the police side of this.

People are not near as educated on their "rights" as they believe they are. This leads to lots of conflict with the police.

You have a fourth amendment right against unlawful search and seizure, but that has been defined numerous times by the Supreme Court. People bitch and resist against being patted down by officers, the court has affirmed numerous times that it is legal for officers to pat you down for weapons during any detention. See Terry vs Ohio.

People also want to tell and scream about a traffic ticket at the car door. You are signing a promise to appear. Which means you get your day in court to contest the citation. Cursing and yelling about it at the scene doesn't do anyone any good.

When an officer tells you that you are being detained and you try to pull away, run away, tense up, etc. you are probably going to get taken down with some force. Violently resisting will up the level of force. Additionally if you make what the courts have recognized as a "furtitive movement" especially towards your waistband area you may get shot or tasered.

Lastly you don't have to be deferential or groveling to an officer, but you should be polite. Telling me "fuck you" calling me "bro" or some other nonsense doesn't win you any favors.

I deal with an unbelievable amount of shit daily at work. And people whining that I signed up for it just sound idiotic. When you sign up to be a police officer you don't just sign up saying "if i get shot, stabbed, beat to a pulp, etc. it's OK, I chose that as part of my job." And I sure as hell am not going to get shot to give a criminal the benefit of the doubt first.

This is good stuff. It's weird that everyone's expected to just know this important life-and-death stuff when it isn't formally taught in schools in any depth. That should be changed.

Back