Are we thoroughly educating American kids how to not get killed by police?

I... what? How was I being an asshole to you? That was a sincere response.

I looked at all the other responses before reading the one to my post, so I may have been biased.

I'm not sure how effective teaching behaving with police when kid don't behave with the teachers themselves.

I do believe kids could use a "survive at life" type class, but then, so could most adults, and parents.

We definitely need to get better at passing on wisdom

Such as police officers. Please try to keep up. And it's not just being obedient to police officers, it's things like not making any sudden movements, not reaching into your pocket without first telling the officer what you're doing, etc. There's a whole song and dance you need to be intimately familiar with in order to not get killed in an interaction with a police officer, and the video evidence is suggesting that not everyone is intimately familiar with that song and dance.

Um, okay, so I get it is about obeying police officers. You asked if we are educating out kids to not get killed by police. It is about following orders such as put your hands above your head.
Police are authority figures. Teachers are authority figures plus they um, teach kids.

I am genuinely concerned about your abilities to grasp simple concepts like comparison and simile to a degree that you cannot see this association.

So if students barely obey teachers now, which in many schools I have seen first hand, then who is going to teach them anything at all, let alone take simple orders from a cop to not get killed.

As Mr T says, "I pity the fool"
and as Ash from Alien says, "You have my sympathy" **smirks**

Re read the thread title.......
Wouldn't that be sound advice to keep from getting killed by a cop?

Reread the OP. Nobody's talking about situations in which people attack cops. That has nothing to do with anything anybody's saying.

Um, okay, so I get it is about obeying police officers. You asked if we are educating out kids to not get killed by police. It is about following orders such as put your hands above your head.

Not just obeying and following orders. As I said.

Police are authority figures. Teachers are authority figures plus they um, teach kids.

Duh.

I am genuinely concerned about your abilities to grasp simple concepts like comparison and simile to a degree that you cannot see this association.

No you aren't. And it was a vapid and irrelevant comparison.

So if students barely obey teachers now, which in many schools I have seen first hand, then who is going to teach them anything at all, let alone take simple orders from a cop to not get killed.

So... your argument is that we should close the public education system and burn the world to the ground? What exactly are you saying here? My argument is that learning how to not get killed by a cop is at least as important as learning how to not get pregnant or why it's bad to do drugs, both of which are taught extensively in schools. As long as those things are being taught, why doesn't it make sense to also teach them how to be killed by police officers?

Reread the OP. Nobody's talking about situations in which people attack cops. That has nothing to do with anything anybody's saying.

You want to educate folks on not getting killed by police....don't commit a crime and don't attack a police officer.

Doing those two things will definitely put the odds in your favor of not getting killed.

You say you want to educate but get pissy when someone gives advice.
Sounds like you just don't like cops.

I looked at all the other responses before reading the one to my post, so I may have been biased.

I'm not sure how effective teaching behaving with police when kid don't behave with the teachers themselves.

I do believe kids could use a "survive at life" type class, but then, so could most adults, and parents.

We definitely need to get better at passing on wisdom

Well I mean like we have sex ed and D.A.R.E., right? Shouldn't how to not get killed by police be right up there with those courses?

You bring up pregnancy...how do you prevent that?
Don't do it or be safe if you do....

Same with interactions with officers...don't attack them...should be common sense.
Don't want problems with the law?Simple...don't commit a crime.

You want to educate folks on not getting killed by police....don't commit a crime and don't attack a police officer.

Doing those two things will definitely put the odds in your favor of not getting killed.

Okay I'm definitely being trolled. Nobody anywhere is talking about people who commit crimes or attack cops. Please either talk about relevant things or go away.

OfUXWyH.jpg

It's scary how many Cop worshippers are on here.

Actually praising that trigger happy Police kill people constantly. Violent or not or by accident.

It would suck living in a low income mainly black area. You're caught in the middle of constant crime & a Police State.
And people blame the black youth for systemic disadvantages they face. Yes some are to blame but some are also severely unlucky. And you're lack of sympathy for the issue or even acknowledging it exists shows your often racist leaning bias.

You all know who you are. The same people in every white/cop on black crime.

Well I mean like we have sex ed and D.A.R.E., right? Shouldn't how to not get killed by police be right up there with those courses?

I hate to seem like im posting a pattern of cynicism, but in a lot of places, those two programs haven't had much success.

They are actually part of my reasoning for not believing that the schools can have that big an impact. That's what I meant about pointing out the lack of parenting in my first post. They'll have the biggest impact, so somehow some way we have to get them to do a better job. Or find a more effective way of reaching young people than our schools are.

Honestly we are. I know people who have been beaten up and arrested when a party is busted for arguing with an officer when set officer was being rude/pushy. Or maybe I am just bias. I feel the only way to solve this problem is we need a regulation agency or something that is above local police jurisdictions.

Like if the Judicial system could be expanded to create a department that supervises major police departments in major cities and other state ran police agencies. Or maybe if the Department of Homeland Security could create a supervision wing that helps distribute body cameras and some type of justice system to watch over all the police forces.

Or maybe create things in which the citizens can voice their opinion. All I know is the police seem too powerful and able to get away with whatever they want. We need like a supreme court for police behavior!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to seem like im posting a pattern of cynicism, but in a lot of places, those two programs haven't had much success.

Source? My understanding is the exact opposite. The plummeting of new HIV cases in America for example was exclusively due to the extensive education of the public, especially of young people.

Honestly we are. I know people who have been beaten up and arrested when a party is busted for arguing with an officer when set officer was being rude/pushy. Or maybe I am just bias. I feel the only way to solve this problem is we need a regulation agency or something that is above local police jurisdictions.

Like if the Judicial system could be expanded to create a department that supervises major police departments in major cities and other state ran police agencies. Or maybe if the Department of Homeland Security could create a supervision wing that helps distribute body cameras and some type of justice system to watch over all the police forces.

Or maybe create things in which the citizens can voice their opinion. All I know is the police seem to powerful and able to get away with whatever they want. We need like a supreme court for police behavior!

Yeah it is less than ideal to have a police system that gets to police its own people (the Catholic sex scandals show how easily systems like that lead to abuses), but it doesn't look like that's changing any time soon. So we civilians need to figure out how to survive in this world we've wound up in.

Yeah it is less than ideal to have a police system that gets to police its own people (the Catholic sex scandals show how easily systems like that lead to abuses), but it doesn't look like that's changing any time soon. So we civilians need to figure out how to survive in this world we've wound up in.

Honestly France and some other countries I hear have Police systems set up which are supervised by the community and more so the Government (and thus the parliaments and people).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Police_(France)

But I realize the idea of 'nationalizing' anything scares the crap out of many Republicans and conspiracy theorists. But nationalizing something does not have to mean a system in which the police police themselves. It seems to me that the people most against changing the current broken system are those who get off on police power/abuse/racial profiling.

1. It's sad that this is even needs to be a real discussion.
Agreed.

2. How much kids are respecting authority should not factor into whether or not they survive an encounter with the police. Unless they are caught in the act by a policeman committing violent crime, or are about to physically assault an officer, no one should be dying. "Contempt of cop" is not a crime. "Smartassery" is not a crime.

Agreed, but I'm starting to suspect that we civilians may be powerless to change this. The huge national outcry against police brutality doesn't seem to be leading to the huge, sweeping changes that need to be made, and police and their defenders seem more rigidly dug into their positions than ever before. And these are the guys with the guns. So we should all at least acknowledge formally and legally that this is the type of society we live in, and formally legislate changes to help us survive.

3. All of this still doesn't address the fact that the itchy trigger fingers of the American police don't jive with the numbers that show that violent crime has been on a steady decline for decades. There's literally never been a safer time to be an American citizen than right now.

Well it's likely that incidents of police brutality may have decreased proportionately too, but all the previous incidents were covered up because until very recently civilians didn't have video cameras in their pockets.

Source? My understanding is the exact opposite. The plummeting of new HIV cases in America for example was exclusively due to the extensive education of the public, especially of young people.

Personal observation of working with the young for the past almost 20 years.

Dare was seen as in school vacation even in my day, kids are sexually active and unsafe at younger and younger. When I'm in the poorer neighborhood's it's pretty clear the proper help and education isn't getting there.

It seems to me that the people most against changing the current broken system are those who get off on police power/abuse/racial profiling.

Yeah I really don't get it. It's a sickness. The number of "WELL JUST DON'T ATTACK COPS AND YOU WON'T GET KILLED!" comments this thread is getting is illustrative of something very weird happening in that kind of culture, since these replies have nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. They're defending the status quo so aggressively that they're not even checking to see if they're making sense anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back