Are we thoroughly educating American kids how to not get killed by police?

1. It's sad that this is even needs to be a real discussion.

2. How much kids are respecting authority should not factor into whether or not they survive an encounter with the police. Unless they are caught in the act by a policeman committing violent crime, or are about to physically assault an officer, no one should be dying. "Contempt of cop" is not a crime. "Smartassery" is not a crime.

3. All of this still doesn't address the fact that the itchy trigger fingers of the American police don't jive with the numbers that show that violent crime has been on a steady decline for decades. There's literally never been a safer time to be an American citizen than right now.

Well this goes to the sentiment that I believe most of us have here, that this generation of parents aren't doing a great job.

It's the same with the inappropriate responses that are happening to a lot of today's new stories and social issues.

Not that this has never been an issue before, but I think it's an area we can and should improve

Well this goes to the sentiment that I believe most of us have here, that this generation of parents aren't doing a great job.

It's the same with the inappropriate responses that are happening to a lot of today's new stories and social issues.

Not that this has never been an issue before, but I think it's an area we can and should improve

Okay, so parents suck. People are still dying. Should we just let people keep dying for as long as there are shitty parents? Or should we acknowledge that we live in a society where you can get killed for not doing the exact right things in the exact right order when engaging a police officer, and start incorporating that reality into our education system?

Yes, these are some troublesome times. Who would have thought we would live in a world where you couldn't beat an armed police officer senseless, try to steal his gun and actually face consequences. Make sure we teach kids about the ruthlessness of these corrupt officials.

LOL...

people still pushing the bull$hit Mike Brown narrative of "hands up don't shoot."

How many times do you idiots need to be proved wrong?

You rob a store and attack a police officer and your life expectancy will drop 70 years, regardless of your race/age.

Like all cloaked cop bashing threads, criminal pieces of $hit will be exposed in this thread.

I need this education myself.....should I expect my life to be in jeopardy if I attack a Police Officer? Does anybody know? Are there any certified common sense teachers that post in his forum?

Completely agree. Besides, reading the OP is overrated.

I need this education myself.....should I expect my life to be in jeopardy if I attack a Police Officer? Does anybody know? Are there any certified common sense teachers that post in his forum?

People who attack police officers have nothing to do with this thread. Nobody's talking about that here but idiots with a straw man fetish.

I really don't see how anyone could object to my point here. If all the folks who defend the police in these instances want to have it their way, fine, so let's formalize it. It is now officially A-okay for police to kill civilians for not doing the exact right things in the exact right order at the exact right time. Now we as civilians need to make DAMN SURE that we and our children are so thoroughly, deeply trained on how to respond to police that we can do it flawlessly, even on a bad day. If we can all do that, then the police and their supporters get to have their way, and we civilians get to go home to our families.

tons of these videos show shitty officers. Some of the ones ive seen that bugged me the most:

cop rolls up on guy standing outside his car. Cop asks to see id. Guy calmly reaches into car and cop shoots him. Guys is laying there bleeding with wallet in hand saying "what did i do"? Cop responds "you reached in your car"

12 year old kid is being dumb at park with fake gun. Citizen calls to report the kid. Cops are aware the kid may have a gun but cant possibly be sure of specifics. They litteraly drive over the grass and pull within 5 feet of kid and light him up within 2 seconds of car stopping. they say they yelled show your hands but it happened so fast kid never had a fucking chance to do anything.

Cop in utah gets call about suspicious activity. Rolls up to see kid with hoodie on walking. Pulls his gun and approaches suspect from behind saying show your hands. Kid doesnt reply (had headphones on under his hoodie) Kid finally realizes someone is behind him and he turns and says "what" while reaching in his sweater pocket to turn cd player off. Cop lights him up and kills him then stands over his dead body and realizes kid was simply listening to music and was reaching for his player.

I can go on and on. Cops shooting dogs who are no harm. Cops shooting people running from them who had non violent crimes etc...

We need more cameras and we need more cops put behind bars for their actions. With all that said, i am pro cop, have never been mistreated by a cop and think the worst thing anyone could do is be anti law enforcement becasue of bad apples. Dont commit crimes and you are likely to be fine.
We dont need cameras everywhere, we just need more accountability. Make it easier to fire shitty cops. Don't let them cover up their dirt by allowing them to investigate themselves.

this always surprised me, with all the cop abuse out there and potential cases for the masses to get behind, they got into an uproar over mike brown? Dude was a piece of shit who deserved to get shot. That was the case everyone found worthy of rioting for????

this^^^. Bewildering.

Kids get taught how to be shot by police.
They get taught they have rights (bullshit, they have no rights and cops are above the law)
They get taught that the police are there to protect and serve them (bullshit, they serve politicians and corporations)
So when they have an interaction with a cop they get in all sorts of trouble thinking that this is a democracy and cops are peace keepers.

I have to say, that as someone from another country, life in the United States of America seems too absurd and surreal for words.

But, I guess the same could be said for many countries around the world.

I guess I find it stranger with the USA because of how "successful" the country is. How can you be that developed as a nation and still have so many bizarre problems?

On every one of those videos showing police murder and brutalize civilians there are tons of comments saying the civilian deserved it because they didn't listen to the cop, because they made a sudden movement, because they didn't get their hands up fast enough, because they didn't act right, like this should just be common sense. But is it? Like, do they teach kids classes on this in school? I was home schooled so I don't know. Are all children in America being thoroughly educated how to avoid being killed when interacting with police in this country? Cuz when I see footage of a guy get his guts filled with bullets just cuz he reached for his ID faster than the cop would've liked, it really doesn't look like the guy suspected he was doing something that could get him shot.

It sounds to me like actually taking measures to make police better at de escalating situations without violence has been pretty much ruled out as a possibility by everyone in charge of such things. So are we doing everything we can to make 100% sure that 100% of civilians are 100% aware of how not to get killed when interacting with police officers at any time? If that's the type of society we're choosing to live in, where a civilian doing the wrong thing at the wrong time can be an instant death sentence, I think we should at least make very, very sure our children have been thoroughly educated on how to survive in such a society.

Teaching kids to obey authority figures? Such as teachers? I don't think a lot of schools do that anymore.

Teaching kids to obey authority figures? Such as teachers?

Such as police officers. Please try to keep up. And it's not just being obedient to police officers, it's things like not making any sudden movements, not reaching into your pocket without first telling the officer what you're doing, etc. There's a whole song and dance you need to be intimately familiar with in order to not get killed in an interaction with a police officer, and the video evidence is suggesting that not everyone is intimately familiar with that song and dance.

I have to say, that as someone from another country, life in the United States of America seems too absurd and surreal for words.

But, I guess the same could be said for many countries around the world.

I guess I find it stranger with the USA because of how "successful" the country is. How can you be that developed as a nation and still have so many bizarre problems?

the country is huge with every single type of region you can think of represented. Dont say america is crazy like a blanket statement. i grew up in oxnard which is a poverty stricken rough neighborhood where you have to figtht and defend yourself to grow up. as an adult I moved 20 minutes away to thousand oaks now where there are celebs on every corner and houses go for a mil a piece. Night and day 20 minutes apart, USA is everything.

Okay, so parents suck. People are still dying. Should we just let people keep dying for as long as there are shitty parents? Or should we acknowledge that we live in a society where you can get killed for not doing the exact right things in the exact right order when engaging a police officer, and start incorporating that reality into our education system?

I see you're responding to everybody negatively even though some of us are actually trying to be constructive and contribute to your thread.

Actually, fuck that, I'll be more direct. I was trying discuss and give reasoning to you're issue, quit being an asshole

I see you're responding to everybody negatively even though some of us are actually trying to be constructive and contribute to your thread.

Actually, fuck that, I'll be more direct. I was trying discuss and give reasoning to you're issue, quit being an asshole

I... what? How was I being an asshole to you? That was a sincere response.

the country is huge with every single type of region you can think of represented. Dont say america is crazy like a blanket statement. i grew up in oxnard which is a poverty stricken rough neighborhood where you have to figtht and defend yourself to grow up. as an adult I moved 20 minutes away to thousand oaks now where there are celebs on every corner and houses go for a mil a piece. Night and day 20 minutes apart, USA is everything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that completely. I'm not trying to say that the entire country is anything, good or bad.

But the fact that one of the most advanced nations on the planet still deals with some of the things it deals with, and has the kind of nation-wide "debates" it does... it's just always struck me as surreal.

For instance, Donald Trump is being touted by some as a legitimate presidential candidate. Absolutely surreal.

Dont attack a cop and be white and you should be fine.

But also...I hope this isn't too much of a generalization and i have respect for police who do their job. I grew up in Staten Island(where a cop choked an unarmed guy to death on the sidewalk on camera and that was totally cool...yay NYPD), im in my mid 30s. On multiple occasions i have been talking to old friends and asked about some guy we knew and what happened to him(assuming he would be dead or in jail), and the answer was "oh hes a cop now". I'm taking about guys who would torture animals, throw shit in front of moving cars or paint speed bumps black just for fun. Real stupid, bottom of the barrel humans. People who in no way should have any authority over anyone but now have a badge and a gun. Do people now actually grow up and want to be cops or is it a last resort? Well i can't do anything else ill go get a city job and a good pension.

Back