• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

All BW champions ranked

Shay Brennan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1. Dominick Cruz - 7 title fight wins, 4 defenses, 2x UFC BW champion
2. TJ Dillashaw - 5 title fight wins, 3 defenses, 2x UFC BW chamion
3. Renan Barao - 4 title fight wins, 2 interim title defenses
4. Petr Yan - 2 title fight wins, both awesome vicotries: one against the FW GOAT who later proved himself at BW, and a competitive fight with Sandhagen who is the clear #2 contender in BW as of now.
5.Sean O'Malley - 2 title fight win - Great KO of Aljo and flawless victory against the only man to beat him, still that was a undeserved title shot for Marlon.
6. Aljamain Sterling - Won the title by DQ, first defense was controversial, second defense he fought a injured TJ, last defense was good although a split decision to past prime Cejudo.
7. Henry Cejudo - 2 title fight win, 1 defenses, Moraes would go on to lose his next 4 out of 5 fights by KO/TKO, The defense was a bad stoppage
8. Cody Garbrandt - 1 title fight win, probably the best win in BW history considering who he beat and how but still just one win

Miguel Torres easily top 3 behind Cruz and TJ. Benavidez, Mizugaki and DJ also had great careers at BW. Don't forget Bowles and Jorgensen too.

It seems like you did your best to look at Aljo's resume in the worst light possible. Didn't even mention that he had 3 defences, and instead went straight to belittling them. Also didn't mention that he had the most wins at ufc BW history and like 10 of his wins were ranked by the ufc at the time.

The fact that you put Yan above him is astounding since sterling beat him, actually defended his belt -- controversial or not -- and has more wins and more ranked wins. You also praise yan's 5 round competitive decision win over sandhagen, but don't even mention Aljo finishing sandhagen in one round....

that's my long way of saying that Aljo is number 3 or number 2 if you take out EPO dillashaw, which I do.

Last edited:
It seems like you did your best to look at Aljo's resume in the worst light possible. Didn't even mention that he had 3 defences, and instead went straight to belittling them. Also didn't mention that he had the most wins at ufc BW history and like 10 of his wins were ranked by the ufc at the time.
It's all true though. His victory over Yan was impressive even though controversial and maybe even the Cejudo one as well.
The other 2 title fight victories were bad.

It's all true though. His victory over Yan was impressive even though controversial and maybe even the Cejudo one as well.
The other 2 title fight victories were bad.

Controversial title defenses >>> no title defences

You praise yan for beating sandhagen, then leave out that sterling did it in one round and has more defenses and more ranked wins than yan. He also beat rivera easier than yan did, too.

It just doesn't make sense to me and smells like bias to me. You were clearly hyper focused on belittling sterling instead of pointing out the positives.

Last edited:
That's a lot of effort to shit on Aljo.

I get not everybody is going to like that guy, but his record is really really elite.

Aljo is 24-4 and 5-1 vs guys on that list.

Wins

Cejudo
Dillashaw
Barao
Yan
Yan (dq)
Sandhagen R1 demolition

FYI

Records vs guys on the list

Aljo 5-1
OMalley 2-0 (W aljo , Yan)
TJ 4-3 (W cody2x, barao 2x L DC, CCC aljo)
Henry 2-1 ( w DC, TJ L aljo)
Cruz 1-2 (W TJ, L CCC, NECKTATS)
Cody 1-2 (W DC L TJ TJ)
Barao 0-3 ( L aljo, tj tj)
Yan 0-3 (L aljo, aljo, Sean

Last edited:
You also praise yan's 5 round competitive decision win over sandhagen, but don't even mention Aljo finishing sandhagen in one round....
Yan won every round except the first which he always loses because he's a slow starter.
He beat Sandhagen in where he's best at and even dropped him, something noone else was able to do.
That to me is more impressive than Aljo winning by choke which is his strenght.

To me that is a impressive victory, I just didn't mention wins outside of title reign at all in my post.

Yan won every round except the first which he always loses because he's a slow starter.
He beat Sandhagen in where he's best at and even dropped him, something noone else was able to do.
That to me is more impressive than Aljo winning by choke which is his strenght.

To me that is a impressive victory, I just didn't mention wins outside of title reign at all in my post.

Okay. So to you losing to Aljo in a title fight is better than winning. Decisioning sandhagen is better than embarrassing and finishing him in minutes, and having 0 title defenses is better than having multiple controversial title defenses.

I hope you are realizing how silly this sounds.

Okay. So to you losing to Aljo in a title fight is better than winning. Decisioning sandhagen is better than embarrassing and finishing him in minutes, and having 0 title defenses is better than having multiple controversial title defenses.

I hope you are realizing how silly this sounds.
If you exclude the first Yan fight (in which Yan was beating him at his strength and working towards a finish)
and exclude the TJ fight where he was pretty much fighting a injnured TJ incapable of winning.

Then you're left with 2 title fight wins: 1 split decision over Yan and 1 split decision over Cejudo.

That's 2 title fight win vs 2 title fight wins and to me Yan's fights were more impressive. Just look at how both Aldo and Corey have performed afterwards.

If you exclude the first Yan fight (in which Yan was beating him at his strength and working towards a finish)
and exclude the TJ fight where he was pretty much fighting a injnured TJ incapable of winning.

Then you're left with 2 title fight wins: 1 split decision over Yan and 1 split decision over Cejudo.

That's 2 title fight win vs 2 title fight wins and to me Yan's fights were more impressive. Just look at how both Aldo and Corey have performed afterwards.

You're doing some mental gymnastics man, but I'll play along -- even in your scenario, that leaves Aljo with a head to head win over Yan, a more dominant win over sandhagen than what yan had, and 2 more defenses than what Yan had. Not to mention more ranked wins in his UFC career in general, which for some reason we are also leaving out....

Again, it is bias. You like Yan and his fight style better, it is as clear as day. It is fine though, you can rank them how you like.

Last edited:
1. Dominick Cruz - 7 title fight wins, 4 defenses, 2x UFC BW champion
2. TJ Dillashaw - 5 title fight wins, 3 defenses, 2x UFC BW chamion
3. Renan Barao - 4 title fight wins, 2 interim title defenses
4. Petr Yan - 2 title fight wins, both awesome vicotries: one against the FW GOAT who later proved himself at BW, and a competitive fight with Sandhagen who is the clear #2 contender in BW as of now.
5.Sean O'Malley - 2 title fight win - Great KO of Aljo and flawless victory against the only man to beat him, still that was a undeserved title shot for Marlon.
6. Aljamain Sterling - Won the title by DQ, first defense was controversial, second defense he fought a injured TJ, last defense was good although a split decision to past prime Cejudo.
7. Henry Cejudo - 2 title fight win, 1 defenses, Moraes would go on to lose his next 4 out of 5 fights by KO/TKO, The defense was a bad stoppage
8. Cody Garbrandt - 1 title fight win, probably the best win in BW history considering who he beat and how but still just one win

Well this is just biased as FUCK.

How is Sterling not 1 or 2 on this list??

He beat Peter Yan and Dillashaw. How the record for most wins at BW, has the record for longest winstreak in BW, and the record of tile defenses

Well this is just biased as FUCK.

How is Sterling not 1 or 2 on this list??

He beat Peter Yan and Dillashaw. How the record for most wins at BW, has the record for longest winstreak in BW, and the record of tile defenses
I think Sterling could possibly be ranked higher than Yan but he's definitely not ranked higher than TJ and Cruz.

Either way, it's an impossible list since they've all got wins over each other. Nobody has really emerged as the clear best BW. Cruz just gets the nod since he won it twice in two different eras. And tbh if he didn't have those terrible injuries there's a good chance he would have even more defenses and really have this discussion locked.

OMalley could take that title of best BW ever with a few more defenses tbh

Back