• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

All MW champions ranked

Shay Brennan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1. Anderson Silva - 10 defenses, 11 title fight wins
2. Israel Adesanya - 5 defenses, 8 title fight win, 3x MW champion
3. Chris Weidman - 3 defenses, 4 title fight wins
4. Rich Frankllin - 2 defenses, 3 title fight wins
5. Murilo Bustamante- 1 defense, 2 title fight win
6. Robert Whittaker - 1 title fight win but very impressive resume(Romeo 2x, Gastelum, Cannonier, Costa, Brunson, Jacare), He has fought pretty much everyone
7. Luke Rockhold - 1 very good title fight victory, but also impressive MW resume and 2 Strikeforce title fight wins
8. Michael Bisping - 1 defense, 2 title fight wins
9. DDP - Good resume but his title fight win was controversial
10. Poatan - Impressive finishes over 2 champions but too few MW bouts
11. Sean Strickland - 1 title fight win although very impressive and over the second best MW ever
12. Evan Tanner - 1 good title fight finish but too man losses
13. GSP - Only 1 win at MW agaisnt one of the weakest MW champions, although a finish
14. Dave Menne - losing UFC record and the one title fight win was a UD

Do you agree? If not then what is your list?

6. Robert Whittaker - 1 title fight win but very impressive resume(Romeo 2x, Gastelum, Cannonier, Costa, Brunson, Jacare), He has fought pretty much everyone
7. Luke Rockhold - 1 very good title fight victory, but also impressive MW resume and 2 Strikeforce title fight wins
11. Sean Strickland - 1 title fight win although very impressive and over the second best MW ever
13. GSP - Only 1 win at MW agaisnt one of the weakest MW champions, although a finish

Good list. Props for putting respect on the old guys like Rich Franklin and Bustamante

I would swap Poatan with DDP. Even though his run in MW wasn't long, he had some impressive wins and knocked out the second best MW

Thank you for putting Rich in the top 5. He's a class act, and was the best in his time. Often overlooked but never an easy out for anyone!

Agreed. Rich was one of my favorites back then. A pure class act.

Jim-Carrey.jpg
(I do dislike his lookalike, Jim though.)

Last edited:

Poatan and Strickland over DDP honestly. Frank Shamrock deserves to be in there too. He's definetely better than half than this list for beating Tito.

Might be nitpicking here but I'd count Silva's win over Lutter that should have been a defense if Lutter didn't miss weight as more of a title fight win than Izzy's Interim title win over Gastelum.

That's wild. I didn't realize Whittaker had no title defenses. I always seen him as a dominant champ in that division but that was derailed by Izzy.

Might be nitpicking here but I'd count Silva's win over Lutter that should have been a defense if Lutter didn't miss weight as more of a title fight win than Izzy's Interime title win over Gastelum.

100% this. Reminds me of the Sonnen/Paulo fight. BS that Chael won but couldn't be champ because Paulo missed weight

Rob has no title defenses?

But yeah

Right? It should have counted for him with lutter being unable to win the title like when olive missed weight for his title fight.
It sucks, but it’s not really a defense if the title isn’t at stake. No matter what happened, the belt was going home with Anderson, so he unfortunately wasn’t really defending anything.

In Oliveira’s case, the challenger made weight. And actually IIRC they stripped him, so it was vacant and Gaethje had the opportunity to win it, as he made contracted weight.

I am still annoyed that Anderson has 10 defenses but should be 11, only cause Lutter missed weight.
this but Bfoe already explained.

Reactions: JKS
Back